Shyni
This is mainly asking about aesthetic preferences. As in, what looks good and what doesn't.

For Kamen Rider, I'd say Ultimate Kuuga and Accel Trial look pretty good.

tumblr_m9jt28jrWa1ryf00xo2_1280.jpg

I'm not quite sure what's worst for me, but Decade Complete looks rather silly, and not in a good way.

As for Ultraman, I'd say most of the ultimate forms look pretty bad, although I don't hate Noa.

UltramanNexus-Noa.jpg

Something about the design conveys a sense of strength, and it's not a mess of colors like Phoenix Mebius was. Also, Ultimate Zero felt kinda half-assed.

Feel free to talk about ultimate forms from any franchise. I'm curious how people's aesthetic preferences are.

Last edited:
Glamador's the kinda guy that actually prefers the base outfits (usually) to the ultimates. Kuuga's is a notable exception...that form is just awesome and so much less "cheap" looking than the rest of Kuuga's ensemble.

But Glam's not fond of, say, W Extreme, Faiz Blaster, Ryuki or Knight Survives, Hibiki Sokou (spelling?), Super Tatoba, or Putotyra if you don't count movies.

Blade's King Form is pretty damned awesome and IGHO an aesthetic improvement of the original in almost every way. Kabuto's looks very nice in toy form, though Glam hasn't seen it in action yet. And Den-O remains sight unseen completely so...no comment.

The tricky part is with Agito's...he kind of has 2 ultimate forms, Burning and Shining. Burning has that organic aesthetic that pervades most of Agito so Glam prefers that one. Though Shining isn't anywhere near his least favorite.

Breakdown
Favorites: Kuuga Ultimate, Agito Burning, Blade King

Least Favorites: Ryuki/Knight Survive, Putotyra

Welcome
Favorite List:
  1. Cyclone Joker Xtreme
  2. Cosmic States
Least Favorite List:
  1. Blaster Form
  2. Zero Form
  3. Meteor Storm
  4. Birth Day

Shyni
My least favorite ultimate form in Ultraman would be Glitter Tiga. It's not even an alternate costume, just the regular one, except glowy.

UltramanTiga-GlitterTiga.jpg

Then again, it was a different time, and the idea of making a new costume to only use for the final battle (or to use for any sort of one-off power-up, perhaps) wasn't a thing yet.

Back in Black
That's easy- all of them! (from Kuuga-Fourze)

For both favorite and least favorite? :eyebrow:

As much as I like Double, CJGX does not really do the character justice. CycloneJoker is more cool and that's the base form.

Decade is just freaking tacky.

There are some others, but I'll get to them later.

favorite = Cyclone joker extreme Gold: Its a nice improvement over the original and the wings really add alot to the form, only thing that kinda hurts it for me is the fact he never used the prism bicker like that.

least favorite = Kuuga rising ultimate: I think this has none of the dignity or impressiveness that the original ultimate form had its just really lack luster in my mind.

Generally I too prefer the normal forms. Ultimate forms tend to follow a pattern of taking that initial design, then making it bulkier and painting it gaudy colours. For a boring suit design, that extra detail can sometimes work, but if I love the initial suit, ultimate forms really can ruin a good thing.

The tricky part is with Agito's...he kind of has 2 ultimate forms, Burning and Shining. Burning has that organic aesthetic that pervades most of Agito so Glam prefers that one. Though Shining isn't anywhere near his least favorite.
Personally I consider Shining to be the "ultimate" form and not Burning, which is a shame as Burning is my favourite Agito form (and one of my favourite Rider suits generally). However I do think that G3-X is a great ultimate form. The normal G3 suit was pretty boring to my eye. But with G3-X it really stopped looking like a Kuuga knock-off and became it's own design (it helps that Hikawa stopped being the series whipping boy with the upgrade - it's difficult to look cool when you're constantly having your ass handed to you).

Kuuga Ultimate. I completely understand what they were doing with the final episode of Kuuga. It's a unique toku finale...but I still can't help feeling a little cheated that our only glimpse of that awesome suit was (what felt like) barely a minute viewed through a snowstorm so heavy it almost whites out the entire screen.

Double CJX. I can totally see why people don't like it (and CJGX is just too much for me too) but for some reason I really like this one. It's pretty slimline, mixes familiar rider traits with a streak of pure oddness, and for some reason it just works for me.

Accel Booster. Much like with G3, the normal Accel suit is one I was pretty "meh" about. I like the helmet and the driver, but the bike parts hanging off it ruin the suit's silhouette. Trial and Booster both correct that problem, and I really like Booster's shuttered visor and jump jets.

Dekaranger SWAT mode. OK, so it makes no sense that they add external microphones when they made it quite clear that the helmets already have some sort of built-in communication device. I'm not normally one of those people who wishes that Sentai had Rider-style armor either. But there's just something about these forms that makes them look BADASS :buttrock:

Super Gekirangers. I've only seen the first half-dozen episodes of this show so far, so I've only seen these via youtube clips and still photos, but I think they look utterly great. Maybe I'm just a sucker for jump jets?

DISLIKES

Meteor Storm. When Meteor first debuted his normal suit design instantly made a break for the top of my "worst-looking Rider suits" list. But the design team apparently telepathically sensed that I wasn't quite horrified all the way to my core, and decided to polish that turd for all they were worth. For my money, this eyesore of a costume is quite simply the worst Rider suit ever. :sick:

Kabuto Hyper Clock-Up Mode and Gattack Hyper. The normal rider forms of these two are some of my favourite suit designs. But their strength lies in their simple lines and sleek forms. Kabuto's Hyper form bulks it up, and then it's clock-up mode has him sprouting fins and fussy gold detailing and it ends up looking like a total mess. Gattack Hyper was thankfully never allowed out of it's hyper-battle prison. Again the design is hurt greatly by being bulked out, but in Gattack's case it's the comedy oversized horns that just take it into the realm of the effing ridiculous.

Magiranger Legend Mode. The chestplates and the blinged up shinguards really just don't work for me, but the helmet extensions really just push it over the edge into "making me giggle" territory.

Shyni
Would Arch Belial count as an ultimate form? It looks freakish ugly, but in a good way for me, which is a bit of a rarity.

Least Favorites: Ryuki/Knight Survive, Putotyra
For me, Knight Survive is a bit better than Ryuki Survive. Yeah, the combination of colors is a little... silly/cartoonish, but it sort of works.

For both favorite and least favorite? :eyebrow:
I guess he either really loves a costume or really hates them, with nothing he feels "neutral" for.

Decade is just freaking tacky.
Yeah. The card on his head with his picture on it especially pushes it beyond ridiculous.

least favorite = Kuuga rising ultimate: I think this has none of the dignity or impressiveness that the original ultimate form had its just really lack luster in my mind.
It's as if whoever designed that was just trying too hard. Would have been better if they just used Ultimate Kuuga.

Accel Booster. Much like with G3, the normal Accel suit is one I was pretty "meh" about. I like the helmet and the driver, but the bike parts hanging off it ruin the suit's silhouette. Trial and Booster both correct that problem, and I really like Booster's shuttered visor and jump jets.
Also, the upgrades made him feel less like a living Autovajin, and that's good.

Gattack Hyper was thankfully never allowed out of it's hyper-battle prison. Again the design is hurt greatly by being bulked out, but in Gattack's case it's the comedy oversized horns that just take it into the realm of the effing ridiculous.
This is probably due to Hyper Battle vids being generally goofy anyway. Makes sense it never gets used in the show or movie.

Another Climax
Favorites:
Kuuga Ultimate: Simple, stylish and hyped as hell. One of the reasons I like to think they created Rising Ultimate in Decade was because they didn't want to take away from the mystique of Kuuga Ultimate... I know I am wrong but that is what I like to think.

Blade King Form: Between the awesome scenes that preludes its introduction and just how badass it was shown to be. I love it.

Least Favorite:
Decade Complete: I hated the original Decade design until I saw Decade complete which was horrible looking and the idea of team ultimate attacks was never so bland. Seriously, no other form or my dislike of them matches how much I hate Decade Complete. Liner Form comes close but Decade Complete with all those cards on him was just ugly as sin.