Administrator
Staff member
Eyes on me I think is the most popular Final Fantasy lyrical theme of all time. It became popular even to people who don't play Final Fantasy 8 and charted to some countries.

Most Final fantasy 8 fans thought the song is about Squall and Rinoa because they are on the music video but no, this song is not about them.

The song is actually not about Squall and Rinoa, The song is about Laguna and Julia.

The name of the instrumental version of "Eyes on me" on the FF8 sountrack is Julia.

Let's analyze the song "Eyes on me"

Whenever sang my songs
On the stage, on my own
Whenever said my words
Wishing they would be heard
I saw you smiling at me
Was it real or just my fantasy
You'd always be there in the corner
Of this tiny in little bar
My last night here for you
Same old songs, just once more
My last night tear with you?
Maybe yes, maybe no
I kind of liked it to your way
How you shyly placed your eyes on me
Oh, did you ever know?
That I had mine on you
Darling, so there you are
With that look on your face
As if you're never hurt
As if you're never down
Shall I be the one for you
Who pinches you softly but sure
If frown is shown then
I will know that you are no dreamer
So let me come to you
Close as I wanted to be
Close enough for me
To feel your heart beating fast
And stay there as I whisper
How I loved your peaceful eyes on me
Did you ever know
That I had mine on you
Darling, so share with me
Your love if you have enough
your tears if you're holding back
Or pain if that's what it is
How can I let you know
I'm more than the dress and the voice
Just reach me out then
You will know that you're not dreaming
Darling, so there you are
With that look on your face
As if you're never hurt
As if you're never down
Shall I be the one for you
Who pinches you softly but sure
If frown is shown then
I will know that you are no dreamer

---
Julia who is Rinoa's mom is a Bar singer/pianist who is in love to Laguna who is Squall's dad. If you notice the lyrics of Eyes on Me, It is about a Bar Singer who is wearing a dress who have a huge crush on the lonely customer who watches her sing.

This is how they met:

Even though they are in love with each other, they didn't ended up together. Julia end up marrying Rinoa's dad and Squall ended up marrying Squall's mom. Years later, in an Ironic leap of Fate, Laguna's son and Julia's daughter fell in love without knowing their parent's past.

I think you are right about the song being about Julia because the lyrics are written from her perspective. She was a singer at a bar in Final Fantasy 8-but I have never seen her actually singing there- but Laguna was certainly there a lot. I think the relationship was shallow and short-lived though, between Julia and Laguna. I do like the flute or tin whistle playing at times for the chorus in this song though!

The first time I heard the song I knew it, its not about Squall and Rinoa since she is not a singer. The song though is played when they danced together so we can still say it is their theme but not directly.

Final Fantasy VIII's theme song 'Eyes on me' was sang by Julia and she dedicated it to Laguna.

The song "Eyes on me" speaks about two lonely souls, Julia and Laguna. They both were in need of one another. Julia's voice was in need of an empty heart and Laguna's empty heart was in need of a voice that could fill him.

Later on, the game takes a turn in depicting that two lonely souls got united in their son and daughter namely Squall and Rinoa. This shows that souls never depart, they unite somehow.

There is no doubt that 'Eyes On Me' is about Laguna and Julia.

Administrator
Staff member
Crystal's version is actually good but nothing beats the original. Faye Wong have this Unique Angelic voice you won't hear on the music we have these days.

People did you know the song have a Japanese version released in 2004!!

I want this to be the song on my wedding day and my burial, that is how much I love this song.