One thing I noticed was that both the late 90s and the early 2000s shows all had their fair share of controversies amongst fans, when each of them first aired.

Car: Considered unusually silly and weird for sentai's "own good."

Mega: People thought Date Kenta was one of the most annoying reds back then.

Ginga: Another show that many thought was too different and weird for sentai's "own good." And Bokku being an acorn fairy was also viewed as too childish.

GoGoFive: People viewed Matoi as a lame parody of the serious reds from the 80s. And even the rescue motif was considered weird.

Time: I think this was an instant hit with most people. :p

Gao: Blamed for bringing in too many toys and for "putting toys over drama and storytelling."

Hurri: Nothing I can think of.

Aba: Show considered too weird and too silly for sentai's own good. Many also thought Ryouga was a bit of a flimsy Red.

Deka: Being episodic. Which to many fans, means Deka has no story and is nothing but just boring filler. Deka was also "that show with the annoying screaming red, Ban."

Magi: Nothing I can think of.

Of course all these shows had their fair share of fans too. But it seems like these shows got more and more respected as time went on.

One thing that I miss about the 2000s Sentai is how the characters were handled.
Much like Kamen Rider, I feel that Sentai has become stuck in a comfort zone, where they are simply trying to create a live-action Anime.

Rider seems to be going this way too now. It's really hurting the impact of the stories when they're constantly downplayed in favor for upbeat silliness. Fourze for example, has such a disturbing premise, and had it been made pre - Den-O it might have been emphasized more, but instead we got treated to wacky antics.

I also miss the MOTD actually having personalities and being part of the plot.
I feel that Sentai has taken a step back in that department. We are almost back to the 80's style MOTD that are only there to fight and then get blown up

Um, a lot of the 80s Sentai monsters were relevant to their plots.

This sounds backwards to me. I think the 80s monsters were more intimidating because they were mostly mute, heartless beasts. Sentai monsters gradually went from that to something akin to mustache-twirling cartoon villains. Also, more recent Sentais' episodes (and a lot of PR episodes too) all seem to revolve around the MOTW's scheme. The story depends on it to proceed. Whereas in 80s shows the MOTW felt more part of the larger story rather than the catalyst itself. The heroes or boss villains drew the plot.

One thing I noticed was that both the late 90s and the early 2000s shows all had their fair share of controversies amongst fans, when each of them first aired.

Ginga: Another show that many thought was too different and weird for sentai's "own good." And Bokku being an acorn fairy was also viewed as too childish.

GoGoFive: People viewed Matoi as a lame parody of the serious reds from the 80s. And even the rescue motif was considered weird.

Gao: Blamed for bringing in too many toys and for "putting toys over drama and storytelling."

Aba: Show considered too weird and too silly for sentai's own good. Many also thought Ryouga was a bit of a flimsy Red.

Deka: Being episodic. Which to many fans, means Deka has no story and is nothing but just boring filler. Deka was also "that show with the annoying screaming red, Ban."

Of course all these shows had their fair share of fans too. But it seems like these shows got more and more respected as time went on.

People thought it was silly and had way too many spells that felt like Deus Ex Machinas. Also that Kai, being an exceptionally young red, was unworthy of the role.

Looking back now, Deka and Magi are actually some of the better Sentai I've seen since I became a Sentai fan. Geki's pretty up there too.

Banned

Lets be clear. Most of these things are said by adult fans NOT in Japan.

The new Tendou Souji
And? Does that make their opinions invalid or something?

He's not acting like Toei's gonna start caring or anything, he's just stating some opinions he may have seen on said shows.

Banned
And? Does that make their opinions invalid or something?

He's not acting like Toei's gonna start caring or anything, he's just stating some opinions he may have seen on said shows.

Fantasy Leader I have nothing against you. Cirno here just likes to stir things up. It gets him hot or something :anime:

The new Tendou Souji
> implying I've actively trying to troll you
> implying I'm not just posting to add constructively to the conversation.

Oh, you so silly.