ADV is one of the worst companies in the industry that have actually turned quite a blind eye to fans many a time. They've been known for shoddy translations, subpar work, even laying off half of their company.

I don't know what gripes you might have with FUNimation but if there are any issues or questions you have about any sub script translations done by Mr. Steve Simmons then please direct them to me and I will relay them to him.

Also ADV usually never picks up titles longer than 26 eps or so. Except for a couple of titles.

Keith: Which Funi rep responses to that thread? Lance Haskel? Lance usually does FUNi panels at conventions and often answers questions on AnimeonDVD.com's forums.

Yeah, I was thinking of ADV's shitty track record then. I mean, look at ADV Manga. They're switching GENDERS, early-90's Sailor Moon-style. :redface2: Is that REALLY the company you want to do a show you love so much?

It's Judgement Time!
ADV is one of the worst companies in the industry that have actually turned quite a blind eye to fans many a time. They've been known for shoddy translations, subpar work, even laying off half of their company.

I have to partly agree. Maybe Pioneer or Manga could pick it up instead. (And I stand by my hate. I loved Tenchi Muyo and to have them ruin it cause they want money and dont give a **** about fans... =_= )

I partly agree because in the 90s, I loved ADVs work. But recently, ADVs dubs have been horrible. Why? Because lately they hire horrible voice actors who try too hard to sound just like the japanese counterpart. (which doesnt sound normal) or voice actors with voices that are just annoying to listen to. Then there's the whole translation bit where they translate some of their titles... literally. They dont take any creative freedom with the dialogue to make it more interesting (while keeping the story entact). Angelic Layer is the perfect example of a bad dub.

I dont care about the politics behind dubbing companies though. I seriously dont. care. Whatever it takes to get it done and dubbed, I'm fine.

Yeah, I was thinking of ADV's shitty track record then. I mean, look at ADV Manga. They're switching GENDERS, early-90's Sailor Moon-style. :redface2: Is that REALLY the company you want to do a show you love so much?

What Gender did they switch? And honestly, I didnt care about Sailormoon's Gender switch. In fact, I preferred it. Go fig. I'm one of the few out there who defends DiC's dub and despises the CloverWay dub.

Note I didnt say ADV was the best but I hate funimation with a passion.

Are you mad that FUNi couldn't get the original cast for their Tenchi dubs? They tried, it's not so easy to get a cast from like a certian number of years ago to get back together to dub something. Also the fact they were originally contracted under another company, some of the cast was too busy. You should really blame the dub actors themselves by not volunteering for your fandom to continue the project under another company not the company.

I have to partly agree. Maybe Pioneer or Manga could pick it up instead. (And I stand by my hate. I loved Tenchi Muyo and to have them ruin it cause they want money and dont give a **** about fans... =_= )

I partly agree because in the 90s, I loved ADVs work. But recently, ADVs dubs have been horrible. Why? Because lately they hire horrible voice actors who try too hard to sound just like the japanese counterpart. (which doesnt sound normal) or voice actors with voices that are just annoying to listen to. Then there's the whole translation bit where they translate some of their titles... literally. They dont take any creative freedom with the dialogue to make it more interesting (while keeping the story entact). Angelic Layer is the perfect example of a bad dub.

I dont care about the politics behind dubbing companies though. I seriously dont. care. Whatever it takes to get it done and dubbed, I'm fine.

What Gender did they switch? And honestly, I didnt care about Sailormoon's Gender switch. In fact, I preferred it. Go fig. I'm one of the few out there who defends DiC's dub and despises the CloverWay dub.

See Kyu's post above, and the fact that you said the bit about preferring a GENDER switch and preferring ANYTHING DiC's done has made me now unable to continue discussing because I just can't fathom it.

Edit: Just noticed the bit about not liking dubs that have....a GOOD translation. :p WTF...

See Kyu's post above, and the fact that you said the bit about preferring a GENDER switch and preferring ANYTHING DiC's done has made me now unable to continue discussing because I just can't fathom it.

Edit: Just noticed the bit about not liking dubs that have....a GOOD translation. :p WTF...

Yeah weird.

You say whatever it takes to get it done and dubbed is fine, yet you still complain about this Tenchi thing, if it's not the reason they couldn't get the original cast so they recasted, then what was the issue? Too long of a release date?

You didn't say they were the best, yet they were the first company you recommended, My top 3 recommending companies are Media Blasters, FUNimation, and AnimEigo. ADV would be an unlikely candidate for this title mainly because they rarely pick up such long running titles. The only long running anime I can think of that they have picked up is Robotech, Dunbine, and Saint Seiya. And Saint Seiya and Robotech are goldmines.

The only long running anime I can think of that they have picked up is Robotech, Dunbine, and Saint Seiya. And Saint Seiya and Robotech are goldmines.
A little bit off topic, but I heard that unlike Macross (Robotech), Saint Seiya (Knights of the Zodiac) bombed in the US. Here in Europe it achieved cult status that transcendes any other anime, including the (in)famous DBZ.
Is this true?

A little bit off topic, but I heard that unlike Macross (Robotech), Saint Seiya (Knights of the Zodiac) bombed in the US. Here in Europe it achieved cult status that transcendes any other anime, including the (in)famous DBZ.
Is this true?

Well Robotech always had somewhat of a following because of its airing many years ago, but never the level of DBZ. However Saint Seiya never got the enormous cult status it has in every other country, it has gotten quite ignored. The main reason these titles never got so big is because ADV never broadcasted the titles on main TV networks. I think the only station they might have gotten aired is on ADV's pay cable network.

I've also noticed that Saint Seiya's story was litterally translated in Europe, but in the US they broadcasted an 'adaptation' ... I thought perhaps that had something to do with it as well but on the other hand, Robotech is an 'adaptation' of Macross and fared pretty well ...

I've also noticed that Saint Seiya's story was litterally translated in Europe, but in the US they broadcasted an 'adaptation' ... I thought perhaps that had something to do with it as well but on the other hand, Robotech is an 'adaptation' of Macross and fared pretty well ...

Indeed ADV made 2 versions, Knights of the Zodiac and Saint Seiya releases. I'm not exactly sure what the differences are, supposedly Knights of the Zodiac release is the adaptation while the Saint Seiya release is I guess original and uncut. Although I vaguely remember in Spanish countries the title was something similar to "Knights of the Zodiac". (I looked it up) It was called "Los Caballeros del Zodiaco".

That's correct, Kyu (and I'm very sorry to keep straying OT here). In France it was also called "Les Chevaliers du Zodiaque".
However, whereas in Spain and France they kept the original story, they completely altered it in the US under 'Knights of the Zodiac', making it so Saint Seiya lost a lot of it's original appeal. What a missed opportunity.