Hey that's unfair because it shouldnt matter if the dialogue is different, as long as the story remains entact, right? I'm just saying I enjoy it when the people dubbing it, give us more than just a direct translation. Writers who try to add a little extra to the dialogue to make it more entertaining.

I'm not saying it has to be done that way. But I'm also saying there shouldnt be anything wrong with it. I prefer Animes to give us more spice in the dialogue if the original dialogue is bland.
I completely have to disagree with this. My eyes are bleeding when I read logic like that. A professional translator must always try to stay as close as possible to the original meaning and intent of the author ... Can you imagine what it would be like if every translator everywhere starts translating to his own appreciation? "Hmm, think I'll add a bit more spice here and some more swearing over there ..."

In my business something like that can kill. I can already imagine it:
- a contract comes in for translation
- I think to myself "Hmm, this contract could do with some extra lines. I'll just add them myself"
- 5 weeks later, three CEO's end up in jail for breach of contract they never even knew existed :laugh:

It's Judgement Time!
"Hmm, think I'll add a bit more spice here and some more swearing over there ..."

Congratulations, you just described a few fan subbers out there. And no one has a problem with those translations do they?

Your analogy fails because it's not the same thing. I'm not talking about editing contracts, I'm not about an Entertainment Business... that's completely different subjects. I'm not talking about editing the material, or adding lines that weren't there before. We're talking animation. Dubs have had to alter dialogue anyway because of translation; to fit the words into the flapping mouths.

So you're basically saying if:

Japanese says: I will kill you... because... it is that I hate you... =_=

English says: I despise you... I will tear you apart, limb.. from limb!

You're saying that the english translation right there is wrong and you hate it. Because even though it's a tad different (and holds the same meaning) it's not exactly what they said. So it's automatically "tampering with the original author's work".

This is nothing to do with tempering the author's work. The author always has his original work in the first place. Fans always have the original in the Japanese version. If all you want from a dub is just a literal translation, no slight adaption at all then why bother watching dubs? Just watch the subs. Same thing and it's already perfect.

You sit there and say "but it's wrong" but um... every single dub company has done this already. From Sailormoon all the way to Samurai Champloo. Words get changed around in the translation. I'm not asking for any different.

A professional translator must always try to stay as close as possible to the original meaning and intent of the author

and I'm not saying otherwise... If you actually read what I'm saying. I'm not saying a translator should change the story. You can change the vocabulary around and still keep the original meaning and intent of the author 100%.

All I'm saying (and the best way I can say this is) if you watch Angelic Layer then watch Generator Gawl (both different approaches to dubing and translation/adaption) then I'm saying I prefer the Generator Gawl side of things.

If not then my entire point is lost on you and I already suck at constructing my points in a way for people to understand so I'm going to stop trying. :laugh:

(and by the way, at this point I'm just defending my point of view. I'm not trying to tell people they are wrong or that my way of thinking is right. I just shared my opinion and everyone jumped on it. I really dont care how you enjoy your anime, I enjoy it my way and you can enjoy it your way. Enough said.)

Last edited:
I could write a superbly long post here, explaining many of the intricacies involved in my every day job (which happens to be translations), but instead:

... and I already suck at constructing my points in a way for people to understand so I'm going to stop trying. :laugh:
Yes, that would be a good idea. Let's leave it at that.

It's Judgement Time!
Was this DQ anime based on any of the games or was it an original spin of its own?