Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Wins Weekend US Box Office

Staff member
This weekend was a huge moment for anime that’s been a long time coming. Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero opened in US theaters this weekend, and won. We don’t mean it just did good numbers. We mean it hit #1. For the first time ever, an anime movie will be the movie that news reports will be mentioning when they recap the box office receipts (oh right, Pokemon: The First Movie technically beat it…ah, fudge it, this was an honest anime movie with no weird edits, so if you ask me, it was the first).
To be fair, we’re not talking anything obscure here anymore — the Dragon Ball series has been well-known in America for over 20 years now, long enough for kids to grow up, have their own kids and take them to a screening. Goku has his own Macy’s Parade balloon for crying out loud. But it’s still a massive watershed moment for anime in the US. In the past, movies animated in Japan have struggled to gain acceptance in US theaters. But last year Demon Slayer: Mugen Train managed to land the #2...

Continue reading...

Proud of my boy Gohan! I hope he will get to lead more story arcs in the future. I hate what Akira Toriyama did to him throughout the years.

Son of my Parents
I wonder if it can beat the record of Mugen train

Last edited by a moderator:
Dragon Ball Super Superhero thriving is like Justice from the Hollywood Abomination Dragonball Evolution. I am still having nightmares from Caucasian Goku who is a nerd that got bullied in School. That is not the Goku we know, The Goku we know is the Himbo Daikon Radish farmer.

Resident of Bandora's Palace
I believe that movie studios should prioritize stronger writing over anything else. The majority of newly released films have weak or poorly written scripts and are not long remembered. People are fussy, believing that certain types of movies are not worth the time or money spent seeing at a theater. Studios should concentrate on telling compelling storylines that viewers won't want to miss, regardless of the price of the film. An animated film outperforming a Hollywood film at the box office is already cause for concern for Hollywood. Yes, you can have varied casting, but don't forget to write good stories as well. First and foremost, create quality scripts and tales!

Aspiring God of Destruction
I'm not shocked that Dragon Ball Super was successful. It is a GLOBAL franchise with a market value of about $30 billion that has existed since 1984. Why is the success of the movie a surprise to people? It's commonly known that Dragon Ball exists. The Hollywood remakes from many years ago were a complete failure since they did the source material no favors.

The action scenes were quick-paced and felt forceful, albeit the visuals fell a little short of Broly. On a large screen, it was good to see the familiar faces again, and several of the characters' stories had interesting developments. but really, if you enjoy Dragon Ball Z and especially Super, you should check it out because it has some of the anime's comedic elements.

Entertainment Enthusiast
Dragonball Super Hero slayed the boredom out of me! Great fun, bringing the humor of Dragonball back to its early days. Not to give anything away, but because the film is canon, there is a chance to bring Gohan back to the front of subsequent battles. Two incredibly underappreciated characters that haven't had a lot of screen time get an amazing spin-off thanks to this movie!

It's Molin time!
This movie is awful! It resembled a number of cut scenes from a recent Zenoverse game more. I was let down by DBZ. I nearly left, but I decided to watch it because I'm a big DBZ fan. People who loved this trash must be positive with Covid because the early sign is having no taste. You guys gotta to be kidding me for loving this trash! It is so bad I rather Ghostbusters 2016 than watch this crap again!