[Anime] Dragon Ball is finally back FOR REAL THIS TIME.......new anime confirmed

I got a feeling SSJG and SSJGSS will be shown in the new season, while not mentioning SSJ4 entirely...

SLICE
Considering SSJ4 is non canon and part of an alternate time line, yeah. That's a sure bet.

Just watched Revival Of F this week, its a continuation of Battle Of Z... gonna bet DBS will be the continuation of F

"あぁあぁっーー…!いぃやあ…あ"
I like that we are getting more Dragon Ball series but I wish that it ended after Dragon Ball Kai Season1 because after the death of Goku it was supposed to be over originally and everything after that is fillers

Honestly, sorry to be a party pooper but I can't be excited about this.

I hate revivals or continuations of stories that, in all honesty, should have ended a long time ago. The original Dragonball Z manga ended in a good place, there was really nothing left to do with this universe or these characters. That was one of the main reasons GT didn't work--the very premise of doing a sequel to Z was inherently flawed and would have been even if GT hadn't been so badly executed.

I never even watched the new movies, because honestly, why should I care? The show is over. It's done. Doing more now feels like... well I'll tell you exactly what it is: its pandering to nostalgia. Just like everything in the entertainment industry is doing lately. Imagine Amuro Ray being a wheelchair-bound old codger in his 90s but they tell him to pilot a Gundam because they don't trust this new kid to do it, and then they further say its the original Gundam because they think it'll do better than new models, and yeah, that's where we are right now.

To me, Kai proved how dead DBZ was. It wasn't even really a new anime--they literally just took the same footage from the original DBZ and gave it a new coat of paint, edited a lot of scenes out, and converted it to widescreen--ironically all of these being things Funimation had been criticized for when they did it, but for some reason people were okay with Toei doing it. Whatever. Point is the show was so transparently an effortless cash grab that it was sad that people ate it up.

Besides, we just had a revival of Toei's other 90s hit, Sailor Moon, and OH YEAH that one sucked dragon balls.

Sorry to rant, just I'm so sick of old things coming back. Good stories are good because they end. Lord of the Rings would not have been half as fantastic if Tolkien had given in to demand and wrote a cash-in sequel, and with Dragonball its been shown that trying to go beyond the original manga does more harm than good.

Saint Seiya and Evagelion had new stuff after many years after the original series ended, I can't see why Dragon Ball can't do the same? As long it's good then I will watch it or read it.

I try not to see it as a company banking on nostalgia, but rather a testament to how successful and loved these franchises are, even after they finished a long time ago.

The people who want more are in the majority, and the people who say no are in the minority. And if the original creator and as much of the original cast as possible are willing to come back and giving us more, if they still have that creative drive and they've come up with more material after having some time to rest and do other things, then why not let it happen? In the case of DBZ (though, I apply this logic to anything), if what we get is something boring and lack luster, at least it's better than something that dishonors and destroys what we use to like about the show (in this case, DBGT).

I forget who explained this, but from what I understand about television practices in Japan, you have to really work hard to earn and keep a spot on TV. Ratings don't save a TV show as much as it does in other countries. You hardly hear that much of reruns, let alone new entries into a finished show. The fact that DBZ, Sailor Moon, Saint Seiya, Evangelion, and even popular Tokusatsu titles are having continuations made must really speak to just how popular they are. Japan has never really struck me as a country that tries to bank on nostalgia unless it really is a sound investment. And even then, they seem to be picky about how they do it. DBZ Kai cut the filler because they wanted to make the anime more like the manga, and the reason why people are happy Japan did that is because Akira Toriyama and TOEI, the creators, are the ones who know what to cut out and what to keep. They aren't half-guessing at it like FUNIMATION and SABAN use to do, and all because the Japanese execs were breathing down their throats and telling them to air the episodes as fast as possible and "just make them cool". It's kind of similar to how FMA Brotherhood was made. If the original anime hadn't been so successful and popular, I bet the Japanese company involved would have just let the property die out with the original series that ended differently than the manga did.

Besides, it's not like old things coming back is canceling out the creation of new things. If it really isn't for you, that's fine. Let the people who want it have their fun.

The new Tendou Souji
Imagine Amuro Ray being a wheelchair-bound old codger in his 90s but they tell him to pilot a Gundam because they don't trust this new kid to do it

I'd imagine by that point, that Amuro would be some Newtype God though and could move it without even being in the cockpit. :laugh:

Besides, we just had a revival of Toei's other 90s hit, Sailor Moon, and OH YEAH that one sucked dragon balls.

It could've been better visually, but I don't recall it taking any liberties with the manga story so it deserves praise for that at least.

DBZ Kai cut the filler because they wanted to make the anime more like the manga, and the reason why people are happy Japan did that is because Akira Toriyama and TOEI, the creators, are the ones who know what to cut out and what to keep.

Eh it was good but.. even then, it wasn't completely accurate.
You still had stuff like the Ginyu Frog filler and whatnot stuck in there for some reason.

K

Kamen Rider IXA

And I've just recently started original Dragon Ball. Toei just made my road to the finish even longer:laugh:

Just an Internet User Passing Thru
And I've just recently started original Dragon Ball. Toei just made my road to the finish even longer:laugh:

You actually picked a great starting point, my friend. Even though I started out with DBZ (like most kids that grew in America in the 90s), Dragon Ball was a very fun ride and definitely worth going thru. In fact, it just makes DBZ (or Kai) more interesting after going thru the ride known as Dragon Ball..........which is how it was originally intended anyway