The Extraordinary Fan(boy)
I need to express myself so i am going to start rambling a bit about DokiDoki a bit. Bear with me.

For the last 5 or 6 episodes i have found myself really enjoying DokiDoki, and after giving it some though i figured out why.

You see, back when DDPC started a lot of people started talking about how much this show focused on its plot, the first 12 episodes are literally filled with exposition. The thing is, that seems to be misguided perception, DDPC doesn´t focus too much on the plot, but it does have a strong sense of narrative; if you look at the first 5 or 6 episodes, you will notice that one episode starts pretty mcuh where the previous one ended, so you get the perception that there is plot going on.

My problem with this is that even if DokiDoki has a good sense of narrative, it has a rather bad plot.

Well to be honest, the plot is not really bad, but that is because there´s barely any plot; all DokiDoki has been doing is throwing a bunch of plot elements that while independently good, the don´t mesh very well together.

Again, let´s look at the beginning of the series, the first 8 or so episodes where about Cure Sword, her backstory and integrating her into the main team. So far so good, the "Sword Arc" was a good introduction and presented the main plot of the series, saving Princes Mari Ange, but once it ends we are introduced to the character of Ai-chan: the myserious psychic baby that obviously plays a bigger role in all of this mess than people realize. They focus on that for a few episodes and then BAM, the whole royal crystals deal rolls around, on top of that the character of Regina is introduced and there´s also the whole Joe Okada/Jonathan Klondike deal.

This is what i feel is the show´s main weakness; there are a lot of good story elements, but they are all presented in such a way that they quickly become irrelevant and the show does nothing with them; they just sit in there for people to point out and say "hey, that looks interesting", without really doing anything note worthy.

If i feel that is the case, then why have i been enjoying the show more now that Cure Ace has been introduced introduced? Simple, while i do have my issues with Ultraman Cure Ace (her fire transformation NOT being one of them), ever since she appeared a lot of elements from the show have been removed: the whole Mari Ange thing has been put on hold, the royal crystals became irrelevant, Ai-chan has been written off as Ace´s reborn fairy and the original Jikochu trio, Joe Okada and Regina have vanished from the show.

Now that all of those things are out of the way the show has finally been able to settle down and focus on the main characters, and that has made the show a lot better in my opinion.

I mean, Precure is always at its best when it focuses on its characters, that way once the actual plot kicks in we become invested because we care about what will happen to them. In DokiDoki´s case, we had all these things going on and even though the show gave focus to the characters, it never let them "breathe" so to speak, and even though the "plot" wasn´t necessarily bad, it wasn´t really good either, so the way the show gave more importance to it than to the characters felt awkward and out of place, but now that all those things are out of the way i feel the show finally found its own pace.

Also, i love Mana to bits, she is not a Mary Sue, she is a Parody Sue, and if you hate her because you think she is a Mary Sue, then the joke is on you.

K

kamil88

I have to catch up yet with Doki Doki, i don`t understand why Mana is called Mary Sue, from what i understand, Mary Sue is loved by everyone, and is ideal, Mana on the other hand wants to help everyone, but, like Rikka said, some people just take advantage of it, and there were these kids, that told her, that she just do it, becasue she wants to be popular. Not really a Mary Sue, if you ask me.

Lurker
Not sure if this is the right place but Shouma Yamamoto (Kamen Rider Saga) has been confirmed in his blog as Blue's voice actor in the next season of Precure, Happiness Charge.

PARTY HARD
I had actually been enjoying the show for a while thanks to Regina, but the twist in the last episode really makes me want to drop it now.

Regina is not a Cure, so no Regina in the movies. She also has become evil again, Mana can't fight against her, and then the Cures are rescued by a newcomer... for a second time. I'm really not looking forward future episodes after they did that to Regina's character.

Although, I guess I was wrong in expecting DokiDoki would ever do something for a character not called Mana. The entire Regina story seems to be there just to make Mana connected to the main plot by giving her a personal drama.

Are you still watching the series?

Have you seen what they have done to Regina?

K

kamil88

DokiDoki Precure had ended, im personally still on episode 10, but i plan to marathon whole series soon, hopefully Happiness Charge will be as good as this one, Fresh/Heartcatch/Suite

Are you still watching the series?

Have you seen what they have done to Regina?

Yeah, I finished watching the series, although mostly through streaming, rather than watching subbed episodes.

Anyway, Regina's return was predictable, but they basically took one of the worst routes to handling it - basically dragging on her plotline until the show was almost finished, using the brainwashing to slow down her development for weeks.

Also, like I lamented before, she isn't a Cure. Even though she helped them in the ending and was basically part of the group in the epilogue, she won't get any role beyond cameos in the post-series crossover movies...

Regarding the show itself, in the end, I thought it was pretty uneven. There were some good moments, particularly in the first half, but I thought most of the second half was fairly bland, even after they brought back Regina. There were still some moments, both dramatic and humorous that worked, but overall I'm happy to see DokiDoki ending.

Last edited:
I think Dokidoki is a show that will get a lot more praise from people who marathon it, instead of watching it weekly. It started off really well, having good character development and a lot of plot development.

The relationship between Mana and Regina (although a bit of a retread of past seasons) was cute and it gave Mana a reason to keep going forward, rather than it just being because she "has to" and I definitely don't agree with the idea that she was just a Mary Sue. I liked having a lead girl that was competent, charismatic and just all around loved by everyone. It made a refreshing change and it's a bit sad to see labels slapped on her just because she wasn't the typical "I'm lazy, bad at school and can't get a boyfriend!" heroine. She kicked ass and was the perfect leader.

I do think they hit a snag halfway through the show though. Writing out Regina felt like a desperate attempt to prolong that plot and while I guess their intention was to not just repeat past stories again, I think most people would've preferred they had. Cure Ace's introduction was a huge curve ball and not in a good way. I did eventually warm up to the character, but the show completely grinds to a halt at that point and only really picks up once Regina returns in the final few episodes and at that point, it really didn't make any sense to not have her become a Cure. I'm sure the only reason she didn't was because there wouldn't be any way to exploit her for merchandise at that point, so instead we got a recoloured Cure Heart power up.

The Extraordinary Fan(boy)
It made a refreshing change and it's a bit sad to see labels slapped on her just because she wasn't the typical "I'm lazy, bad at school and can't get a boyfriend!" heroine. She kicked ass and was the perfect leader.

Couldn´t agree more.

I am a BIG Mana fan and it always annoy me when people start throwing the term "Mary Sue" at her, mostly because a lot of her detractors don´t really understand the meaning of that word and just use it to label characters they don´t like, as it that somehow made them "smarter" geeks. Seriously, i remember back when Smile started airing and all the people that hated Miyuki claimed that they didn´t liked her because she was clearly a Mary Sue.

It goes without saying that Miyuki was a far cry from a Mary Sue, and even Mana, as the amazing person she is, defies the conventional definition of Mary Sue as the show clearly states that she makes great effort to be who she is, and more importantly, the only reason why she can make such amazing things is because she have always had people supporting her. So really, the only thing genuinely extraordinary about her is her love and optimism, two things that are run of the mill in Magical Girl shows.

As for the show itself, i can say that i liked it, but the show clearly has problems; i stand by my previous claim that this show doesn´t have a good story, you could say that Precure as a franchise doesn´t have the deepest plots, but simple as they are they are still consistent and well written, something i can´t say about DDPC plot.

I heard that the story of DDPC was written in advance to ensure consistency, but that is something i highly doubt; most of the time it seems as if the main writer just took random plot elements that have been used before on the franchise and cobbled them together, leaving a lot of plot holes or important elements that by the end, turn out to be pointless to the story. So really, the story of DDPC is not necessarily bad, but it is not well written either, if you do not believe just stop for a moment and ask yourself this: what exactly was the point of Ai-chan in the show?

But anyways, even if the story didn´t turned out the way i hoped, there was still plenty to love about the show (mainly the characters (mainly Rikka)) and while this season doesn´t reach my top 5, its not at the bottom either.

Guillotine Gorilla
... Shouldn't we have switched to Happiness Charge thread?

You know, since we're like 8 episodes in to that show.