I don't do sense
Like I said in the other topic, this episode didn't really hook me. The initial scene was good, but coming after Smile's last few weeks doesn't stand out much.
And here's where I couldn't disagree more. Smile's finale was completely atrocious, lacking in character and setting, with an utterly template script that could be slapped onto any Precure show, plus the last four episodes were actively ripping off previous Precure installments and they couldn't decide on what Miracle Jewel was and what it did between the episodes. After a shitpile like that even a promise of good quality is refreshing.

The monster of the week itself is the biggest example of the flaws of DokiDoki's first episode. It was created due to frustrations with a line, and basically the only thing it did was rush around, running into anyone on its path. That's so ridiculous you'd think it'd be played for laughs, but there just isn't humor there. On the other hand, it's also not really dramatic or anything, just coming of as bland.
Yes, the stress was petty. That's the point. Did you not notice the monsters are called "Egotistic" this time around? It's not like the guy purposefully gave birth to a monster. And seriously, have you never stood in long queues? It's stressful.

She's skilled in all areas and activities (the club scene), she's loved by everyone, is the moral compass of the series, outshines the veteran Cure... There's a huge middle ground between Mana and Miyuki. Now, I wouldn't call her a Mary Sue, but there are characters who are called Sues for less...
She's a hard worker. Of course she's loved. People that work hard and attain success naturally attract positive attention. That's not being a Sue, that's being a good human being. What's wrong if such a person is a protagonist?
Of course she's a moral compass. She's the main character in a show for kids. That's like... duh.
She doesn't really outshine the veteran Cure because Cure Sword did all the damn work and in fact Mana's shenanigans made Sword take a hit for her. That's not a positive trait on Mana's account.
In fact, right off the bat the problem with Mana's attitude is set and pointed out by other characters (Rikka). She's meddling with no business of hers and is likely to be used by people is she keeps such attitude. Mana not being able to be selfish every once in a while would be a drama very fitting for the show's chosen theme.
Likewise, Kenzaki and Aida's modus operandi are likely to clash.
If she was an unfallible Mary Sue, none of that would be there, she would just be the best thing since forever, end of story.

Mary Sue witchhunt is seriously irritating.

Last edited:
And here's where I couldn't disagree more. Smile's finale was completely atrocious, lacking in character and setting, with an utterly template script that could be slapped onto any Precure show, plus the last four episodes were actively ripping off previous Precure installments and they couldn't decide on what Miracle Jewel was and what it did between the episodes.

I thought Smile's last episode itself was pretty bad, but, really, I mean more in the sense of the first scene of DokiDoki serving as a hook for the show. Showing a lone battle in a desolate land when we've just watched that throughout one month at least makes that initial scene lose the impact it could have.

Anyway, regarding Smile's last few episodes, the only one out of the final episodes that really ripped off a previous instalment was the finale itself, which seemed like a straight repeat of DX3's ending. I don't think the vague concepts of "dark Cures" and "villain came from people's suffering" means much overall especially when the execution was fairly different. It was only the finale itself that completely ripped off a previous resolution, and did it badly on top of that.

Yes, the stress was petty. That's the point. Did you not notice the monsters are called "Egotistic" this time around? It's not like the guy purposefully gave birth to a monster. And seriously, have you never stood in long queues? It's stressful.

So, the point was to make a bland conflict that was neither humorous nor dramatic? Even if it was "petty", they could have highlighted that for humor, or maybe show the terror of the situation with the human giving birth to a monster, if they wanted to focus on the dramatic side. That's my actual problem with the core of the episode. It stood in the middle of the line and really did nothing to stand out.

She's a hard worker. Of course she's loved. People that work hard and attain success naturally attract positive attention.

So, you just need to "work hard" to attract the attention of a bunch of different clubs in vastly different activities? They were clearly going a bit over the top there. But, yet again, failed to use that for humor.

Anyway, I'm not saying that she's a Mary Sue, I don't think she's one - like I said before - she isn't controlling the narrative or making the world spin around her, at least not in the first episode. I was just telling you the traits that make some people consider her one.

In fact, right off the bat the problem with Mana's attitude is set and pointed out by other characters (Rikka).

It might be pointed out, but in the end she basically turns out to be right anyway with the sequence of events that played out. Now, like you say, the show could go into and show the flaws of her attitude later. This was just the first episode...

Last edited:
PARTY HARD
This episode made me respect Mana a little more than I did before. It definitely explains her flaws that I really didn't like in the first episode, and I feel that she's been made much more tolerable for me because Rikka is there.

This series has captured my heart for new favorite ending theme (overcoming Splash Star's first ending and Suite's second ending) and favorite bad guys. The Jikochu this episode was beyond entertaining.

K

kamil88

You can tell, that Mana and Rikka are true friends, i feeled sorry for Mana, when she tried to tell her the truth, but fairies actually give good reason to not reveal that she is Precure (And, after that opening scene from 1st episode, you can see meaning of serious attack) i don`t know why, but i found funny fact, that Mana do her best to make everyone happy, but, when she have moment of sadness, everyone is getting sad and worried.

PARTY HARD
The expression she makes when her "heart gets shot by guilt" is hilarious. Especially her "Auuuu..." sound. So glorious.

The Extraordinary Fan(boy)
So i finally got around to watching the first episode (and i will be seeing it again mind you) and i can say that i am pleasently surprised.

First off, after reading the released bio for Mana and a few comments, i feared that her character would indeed be a Mary Sue, but alas, Mana is not a Mary Sue. She is a parody one, and i honestly can overstate how amusing that is.

Sure, this being Pretty Cure i am sure that they will play it completely straight, but that just makes it even more amusing.

As for the episode itself, i am actually impressed by the narrative, the pacing never felt rushed, they took their time to establish the monster in a coherent way, they hinted at several things during the episode without really elaborating and for once they didn´t threw a boat load of exposition.

I know this doesn´t sound like much but i do appreciatte that the show takes its time to establish things so that the episode doesn´t feel like a "First Episode of the new PC season", but rather as the Beginning of an actual story.

As for the opening, its okay, i am warming up to it, though is it me or did they added CG effects to make it look sparkly? As for the ending, it looks a bit idol-ish, and i am not exaclty crazy about the song, though it is currently stuck in my head (Note that this is the pattern i usually go through with every Precure song).

Looking forward to episode 2! (which i just downloaded!! (from work!!!))

K

kamil88

Yet another great episode, Rikka is perfect match for wanting to help everyone Mana, i really enjoy flashbacks, where there is almost no talk, just characters doing stuff, i liked Rikka human behavior toward that Cure Lovies guy, today Selfishness was one of most bizzare looking things i ever saw, reminded me of that traffic light turtle from Zyuranger. I like overall concept of Selfishness, they aren`t just mindless zombies, that only do what their master say, they just do what they want to do.

So is this show suppose to be Kamen Rider Blade with little girls like Madoka was Kamen Rider Ryuki as little girls?

I don't do sense
So is this show suppose to be Kamen Rider Blade with little girls like Madoka was Kamen Rider Ryuki as little girls?
^ Too fat ^