Mad Skillz
30vyAQv.jpg

So the 10th one has finally begun and it's time for a proper discussion thread! What did everyone think of the first episode? I was rolling when Mana tried to talk down that giant crab.

PARTY HARD
I think when she talked down the crab was what kind of lost me.

But at the same time, she's got the guts of a tomboy with the heart of a girly-girl. At first, I found her kind of annoying because I didn't like her being TOO selfless, but watching it in subs, I think there's a certain charm about her that the other leader cures didn't have.

K

kamil88

Just watched first episode, and..we have very likeable cast of characters, awesome music, interesting looking monsters, great start:
-Mana Aida is, in my opinion, is Hoshizora Miyuki done right, she helps everyone, not just talk about it.
- Don`t really have much to say about Rikka Hishikawa, looks like in next episode we will be able to find more about her.
- Alice Yotsuba, she seem like a funny girl, despite being rich, she is not spoiled brat, loved her "By waiting in line, the excitement bulids up" She would love Poland in 80`s
- Makoto Kanzaki, her case look similar to Cure Moonlight, she failed to protect something dear to her.
- Looks like that monkey fairy will be like Chiffon from Fresh Precure

Overall, im really hooked up right from the 1st episode, something Smile didn`t manage to do (I promise, this is last time i will bash Smile )
vlcsnap2013020400h29m26.png

Finished watching episode 1. And hey, I really love it.

It seems that Mana and Makoto will be my favorite Cures in this show. Mana will probably be the most competent lead ever. She's a Mary Sue but in Godai's level if you ask me.

And yes, Makoto/Sword is Moonlight 2.0 but the difference is she's younger and a celebrity. Heck, maybe it's too much for her, especially her remorse.

Doki Doki makes my heart beat. :D Oh yeah, it seems this is the first that there are 2 victims in the first episode.

I don't do sense
In what god damn way is she a Mary Sue?
Does a character have to be a walking buffoon like Miyuki not to be called a Mary Sue?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Fun fact: Mana took 1 minute 4 seconds to climb up to the top of the tower which includes a 10 seconds break.

Like I said in the other topic, this episode didn't really hook me. The initial scene was good, but coming after Smile's last few weeks doesn't stand out much.

In the main narrative itself, I just didn't like the tone they took. It was light hearted and they had introductions and story going on, but it was rarely actually humorous or genuinelly dramatic. They show absurd situations in ways that could easily have been played for laughs but mostly just did it straight, resulting in a very average introduction that just didn't do much to me.

The monster of the week itself is the biggest example of the flaws of DokiDoki's first episode. It was created due to frustrations with a line, and basically the only thing it did was rush around, running into anyone on its path. That's so ridiculous you'd think it'd be played for laughs, but there just isn't humor there. On the other hand, it's also not really dramatic or anything, just coming of as bland.

I liked the "henshin" moment though, and really wish the show had attempted to throw more humor. The designs of the main villains were decent though, better than (most of) Smile's and Suite's at least, but I just hope the show won't stay stuck in the bland middle point where it was during most of this initial episode.

In what god damn way is she a Mary Sue?
Does a character have to be a walking buffoon like Miyuki not to be called a Mary Sue?

She's skilled in all areas and activities (the club scene), she's loved by everyone, is the moral compass of the series, outshines the veteran Cure... There's a huge middle ground between Mana and Miyuki. Now, I wouldn't call her a Mary Sue, but there are characters who are called Sues for less...