Doctor Who -Talk Up! (General Discussion)

Glamador

I have not yet seen that animated reconstruction, but I recall being very excited about it upon release.

Until I see it I can't be sure, but could it have just simply been that the quality of animation was poor? I mean, was it Scream of the Shalka quality? Scream of the Shalka was fucking brilliant, don't get me wrong, but it didn't have anything live-action to be immediately compared to.

Gold Samurai

It was discussed and speculated a few months ago by Stcoop

From the new DWM.

Series 7b doesn't start until April.

(So both halves manage to miss screening on those "dark winter nights" that Moffat claimed the delay was to allow the series to move to. And his "more Who than ever" actually turned out to be "one series in two years".)

The Anniversary Special (singular) doesn't shoot until (again) April.

(Anyone who was still holding out for any of Series 8 next year should really give up now.)

Now we have this schedule from the UK Toy Fair:

5RnUMpC.jpg

As expected we get:

-One special
-One tv movie documenting the start of the series in 1963 written by Mark Gatiss

S

scikaiju

I have not yet seen that animated reconstruction, but I recall being very excited about it upon release.

Until I see it I can't be sure, but could it have just simply been that the quality of animation was poor? I mean, was it Scream of the Shalka quality? Scream of the Shalka was fucking brilliant, don't get me wrong, but it didn't have anything live-action to be immediately compared to.

I haven't reall seen it myself, out side of a part of episode 1. But I did fine a trailer that highlights the animated reconstruction [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEgOyHQ21UI"]Doctor Who - The Invasion - Animated Reconstruction Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

Fox-Chan

Harumph.
And it is a shame, and I'm just assuming this mind you, the 2nd doctor serial The Invasion didn't sell better, since they tried to animate the two missing episodes using the audio recordings and production stills that survived to get the animation right. I'm just assuming it didn't sell well because if it did they might have done it again with other incomplete serials, like say the Tenth Planet, the last 1st Doctor adventure that's only missing the last part. Well except for the regeneration scene.

I thought I should point out that the two missing episodes of "The Reign of Terror" have been animated and they're due out on DVD in a few weeks.

Glamador

The Reign of Terror was a damned good serial. Probably my 2nd favorite from the 1st Doctor's tenure. (The first being 'The Chase')

If anyone here hasn't seen it, Glamador recommends it highly.

Fox-Chan

Harumph.
As far as the historical serials go, The Reign of Terror is probably my favorite along with The Aztecs. I'm really glad they chose it to be animated.

Aoi Kurenai

Mad Skillz
It's no great loss. Last I saw the channel it was mostly Top Gear, Doctor Who, and Gordon Ramsay reruns. Not the greatest of channel lineups.

Painted_Outlaw

The new Tendou Souji
By that last one, do you mean Kitchen Nightmare? Because I saw an episode of that (living room TV has BBC America) fairly recently and, it seemed like a damn good show.

Fox-Chan

Harumph.
Yeah, the channel is pretty awful. I do like Top Gear, Doctor Who, and Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares but if that's all they're ever going to show then I don't feel the need to waste more money on cable.

BUT...They are showing Classic Who this year, which breaks their trend of pretending it never existed.

S

scikaiju

There's a few more show than that, they got the Hour, Ripper Street, Luther, Whitechapel, Law & Order UK, Copper and a few others. Granted they don't show them that often but there's more than those three. Although I will admit they could probably cut down on the Top Gear because that's what seems to be playing just about every time I check the channel guide.

Glamador

BBCA is a pretty rubbish channel. I wish I would catch Top Gear on more often. All I ever seem to see are Kitchen Nightmares though and I don't like that show...a little more L&O UK would be welcome as well.

There have got to be more British TV shows than what they air. Hardly ever see reruns of miniseries like Luther or Sherlock and absolutely NEVER see anything older like Classic Who or Red Dwarf or Fawlty Towers.

S

scikaiju

1 down, ten more to go. I will admit I was a little surprised they got David Tennent for the interview portion talking about the first Doctor. And I did like they had Moffet explain that the Aztecs was done in the no longer used "Pure historical" method. As for the Aztecs story itself, well if you only seen Nu-Who it would have been a bit of a shock. But it was a good story. Now I wonder what they're going to show next month when it's the 2nd Doctor's turn.

Glamador

Well we can make a pretty good guess that it won't be War Games. And they wouldn't show a reconstruction, nor one of the too-recently released DVDs and risk cannibalizing the market for those. So there's a small pool to choose from.

As far as pure-historicals go, I preferred Reign of Terror to Aztecs. But that style of serial hasn't been in vogue since...hmm, the 3rd Doctor? Even calling it "no longer used" is a being a bit late to the party. It makes it sound like there were more of them than there are.

Painted_Outlaw

The new Tendou Souji
1 down, ten more to go. I will admit I was a little surprised they got David Tennent for the interview portion talking about the first Doctor. And I did like they had Moffet explain that the Aztecs was done in the no longer used "Pure historical" method. As for the Aztecs story itself, well if you only seen Nu-Who it would have been a bit of a shock. But it was a good story. Now I wonder what they're going to show next month when it's the 2nd Doctor's turn.

IAWTQ!
He got down everything I would say on the First Doctor Retrospective.

Now on Kickstarter

Latest News

Who's on Discord?

Latest posts