You know, I've been watching all the way since 2006, yet I still don't really get what characteristics of the writing are attributed to Russel T. Davies.

Care to explain it for me?

Thoughts are varied on the matter, but generally the tropes include the use of "emotional drama" over "complex storylines" (i.e. stuff that challenges the viewing audience's minds as opposed to over-use of character angst and obvious maniplulation of their heartstrings), over-the-top climaxes that resolve in fairly non-sensical "deux-ex-machina" endings, and generally making the hero, in this case the Doctor, more akin to "a Super-Man" (see the stuff about him being "the lonely God" and being essentially all-powerful or all-knowing just at the right moment, yet still having continual bouts of angst and losses of those he makes relationships with about brought on him to make things bittersweet) then a "Sherlock Holmes in space" (or in the Eleventh Doctor's own words "a Space Gandalf...like the little green guy in Star Wars"). There's also some who believe that he tends to add alot of injected focus on sexuality or atheistic viewpoints.

Now alot of that is up to perception and can be seen as over-reactive derisive exaggeration but there is at least a kernel of truth to some points. Every writer has their bad and good points, however a solution to a problem that is "pure RTD", especially when written by a different writer, can lead to some worrying thoughts.

On a lighter note, for those in Canada, the Space Channel will be having a marathon of Series 6 on August 27th, starting at Noon, Eastern Time, leading into "Let's Kill Hitler" at 8 PM later that evening. They also have a few "Best of" or "Highlight" Specials of their own (which focuses more on the audience reaction and thoughts on the series ranging from Nerdist.com's Chris Hardwick, to actor Mark Sheppard (from "The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon"), to various celebrity and writer Whovians, rather than just a hastily constructed "Top Ten list" and Series Recap) one of which will be the intermission between the two halves of the Series. If you're in Canada, you can find them here.

Also there's now a "completed version" of the Doctor Whooves "instructions" animation clip if anyone's interested in it: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3qS0odekuU"]Clip[/ame]

Last edited:
Skreeong!

no problem. :thumbs:

finally got see the new episode of Torchwood.

[HIDE]It was an alright episode, Jack falls in love with a foreigner, the guy betrays him, poor Jack, boo hoo. still at least we got to see what the three families look like. [/HIDE]