Balanced

Examples include Shotaro Hidari/Joker, Ryu Terui/Accel, and Captain Marvelous.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
Balanced

Examples include Shotaro Hidari/Joker, Ryu Terui/Accel, and Captain Marvelous.

I agree with this. I like a hero who has sufficient bloodlust and yet is not a complete dickwad with it. Eiji Hino/OOO and GoseiRed are the most recent examples I can think of

Welcome
Like Hidari Shotaro.Tries to be cool, aloof, and tough but fails at it because inside, they care too much about people.

Aronbafon
Not too up close and loud. But not too quiet and just there.

Though some of the "aggresive ones" can still be liked. Terui Ryu is a perfect example, since he progressed into being a proper Kamen Rider.

I wouldn't mind seeing a title Rider start out like Terui being driven by something that isn't "hero like" and then progressing to being a proper hero.

Just 'Neg' will suffice.
Really it just all depends on how relate-able/enjoyable/intriguing it makes the character. I've disliked and liked characters that are similar enough to each other, though, so I guess it comes down to the amount of characterization and if it's sufficient enough to sell the character, to me.

I adore Godai, Shouichi, and Ryoutarou, but I dislike Eiji.

I'm far more consistent on liking more aggressive and "edgier" riders. Love Yuuto, Terui, Ryo (Gills), and Hajime

hajimedonttouchme.gif

Nice post!!
This'll sound weird, but my personal preference is when the main character really fits the type of story the show is trying to tell and reinforces what the show is about.

You'd think this would always be the case, but both Showa and Heisei Rider sometimes revert to stock types in ways that don't really benefit a specific show's storyline.

Lurker
One of the reasons that Shoutaro became my favorite Main Rider is because his character found the perfect balance between nice and aggressive.

He's neither a goody-two-shoes like Ryotaro and Wataru nor a jerk like Tendour or Tsukasa.