Books Do you use the library?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mssbishi, Jan 16, 2015.

1. mssbishi

mssbishi Member

I'm lucky enough to live in an area with a great public library. This saves me a fortune on books (I prefer physical copies over ebooks) and prevents my house from becoming cluttered. Our library will also order new books in for you too. They also loanDVDs and CDs and offer free wifi. Do you have a good library in your area?

AngelaMc and Polgie like this.
  2. blur92

blur92 New Member

Occasionally I do. It is a quiet, relaxed place to go when I need some time out of my house. That is, until kids are done with the school day and come teeming in. I prefer owning a hard copy versus checking the book out. I always have it on hand, then. Also, I like to write my thoughts down on the pages while I am reading or cross reference and record page numbers. I can not do that with a library book. Checking out from the library is useful, though, when I know it is something I need for the moment; or it helps me decide whether I should buy a book in the first place. Borrowing movies are also a plus there. My library is fairly nice for the area. It is somewhat new so everything is clean and up to date.

3. loonshine

loonshine New Member

I love libraries! All of 'em. I love borrowing more books that I can read and hoarding them for a while. I love walking in the lanes and picking whatever looks interesting out. I go to different libraries in the town, too, for the different feels. Just sitting down and read there. Just... enjoying the quiet and the possibility of having any reading I like within reach. Saves tons of money! I usually only buy books second hand or when I needed them for school and had to write inside of them, too.

4. azrmacc

azrmacc Member

I remember going to our school library when I was younger, eager to read all sorts of books. Now I only go to the library to surf the internet. Of course if there's something I need in there for research or anything then I'll do that first, but most of the time I really have nothing to do there but just browse.

5. spleendingo

spleendingo New Member

I find myself going to the library less and less these days. I love that reverential atmosphere of a library though. Because I love to read, and with the technology we have today, I generally use e-readers for my reading purposes. When I'm off doing laundry it sure beats 3 year old women's magazines! lol

6. hellonamesdana

I do, but not to check out books. I use the library at my school to study because I tend to be able to get a lot more work when I am there compared to when I'm in my dorm room. Especially on the quiet floors I'm just able to focus on my work instead of distractions like my roommates and the TV and other things on the internet.

7. Polgie

Polgie New Member

I love libraries! I 'rediscover' them every now and then and end up saving lots of money on not buying books. :D Unfortunately, my city only has one library and it's a bit of a trek away. Plus I have kind of run out of time to regularly read books - the current book I'm reading I've been reading for over 2 months. So... I would probably have to pay a lot of overdue fines :(

Libraries are great though, and I'm always glad to be reminded that they exist and should be used!

8. miguel_jieb

miguel_jieb Let's go on sharing God's given talents!

I usually go to the library when I was in college. I like the feel of having people around me reading. I could study or read worthwhile writings in the comfort of my room but the thing is with my room is that I feel sleepy. But the feel of being in a library is different. I feel like I am one with a community of thinkers.

9. vinaya

vinaya Member

I use a library even though I can search all kinds of information on the internet from home. I like the environment of the library, I like the silence and the smell of books. There was a time when I used to visit library once a week, however, these days, I don't have that kind of liberty to visit every week.

10. tonyb

tonyb New Member

When I was in college I used the library exhaustively especially during my penultimate and final year. I could get virtually all the books I needed for my projects and all school work there, the internet wasn't that common yet. These days I don't visit the library often. Most of my work are done online.

11. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

Pardon me if you are a book lover but the library is getting to be obsolete. I love libraries and in fact, it is one of our meeting place for me and my friends in school. Especially when doing a research for a school paper, the library is one good place to do it because of the ambience and the deathly quiet environment. But now, almost everything is in the internet so why the need to go to the library? And considering the usual heavy traffic here in our place, I would settle for the internet any time.

12. Holmes22

Holmes22 New Member

It has been quite some time since I have been there. I used to go a lot when I was in school, but that was also a better library, and I actually had research to do. Even then it was mostly going to the library to use a computer.

13. Decentlady

Decentlady New Member

Unfortunately there are no libraries in my vicinity. I love using library and had used a lot in the past.

It's a great way to unwind and relax in the midst of stacks of books. The fact that I love reading makes it an awesome place to get the books of my choices.

14. tonyb

tonyb New Member

I hardly visit library nowadays, I can reasonably get the information I need online. It's a lot more convenient making researches online, visiting different sites to compare information. I am not carrying voluminous books, flipping all over. Online it's a matter of using the appropriate key words and I am directed.

15. derf

derf New Member

Yes I do visit the library and I use it quite frequently to browse books or to study. The library is a place with a vast amount of information on various topics and subjects. It at times is a very quiet place to either read or to study on subject material. The library is also a great place to think about many things. The library has a vast amount of things that don't include just books you can read magazines newspapers and movies just to name a few. These are some reasons why I like to visit and use the library.

16. Jason76

Jason76 Member

I use the library sometimes to surf the net. I have internet access and a desktop at home, but sometimes I might be in town, a 30-minute drive away, working out at the gym and the library is next door so I might just drop in there occasionally. Of course, when I was attending university, libraries were incredibly useful as places to study as were computer labs. Both places were generally quiet.

By the way, libraries are also good places to print out stuff when you don't have a printer.

17. Decentlady

Decentlady New Member

Printing out in libraries at my end comes with a cost.

I found bith computer lab and library a good place for studying too. Very peaceful.

18. AngelaMc

AngelaMc New Member

Hello mssbishi, I also have a great Public Library in my neighborhood. I prefer Hardcover books over Ebooks any day of the week. The DVDs and CDs are a popular item there also, they have a good variety on all genres. I love going to the Library, so many people don't even go today, due to all of the new technology, everyone should visit the Library in my opinion at least once in their lives.:)