Do you think star wars prequel trilogy is going to be non canon?

Disney seem to be going in the opposite direction. I only rarely dip into Star Wars news, so maybe my info is out of date, but last I heard Disney was rebranding all the existing expanded universe stories as 'Star Wars Legends' and declaring that everything under this banner (including everything set after Return of The Jedi) is non-canon so that the new films have a clean slate to work in. So as it stands the prequel trilogy and associated works like the Clone Wars TV shows make up the majority of the re-defined continuity.

That's true :redface2: because thsoe which are called 'legends' are considered non-canon because the 'expanded universe' is not made by lucas himself after return of the jedi.

No, that would be stupid to just eliminate movies from continuity just because a percentage of the fans of the series hate them. The prequels have their fans just as much as the originals do, it is just the original fans are more vocal about it to the point that even those like the prequels are shut out before they can even defend their points. As such, it isn't really worth arguing about since the OT fans will never listen to the good points anyway.

I personally prefer the OT, but there are legitimate moments of excellence to be found. The duel with Darth Maul is the redeeming factor of TPM. Everything that deals with Obiwan or Palpatine in the series is excellent. The discussion Palaptine has with Anakin about Darth Plagus is great. The Jedi execution scene. The fight choreography is excellent. Getting to see how Vader was born and the fight on Mustaphar leading there. The clones themselves that eventually become the Storm Troopers (although I think they forgot how to fire a weapon). THe music.

Yeah you might be right despite all the hatred by the original star wars trilogy fans it has fans who like the prequel because sometimes there are good stuff in it and besides lucas created it.

Prequels are ok, but haters gonna hate anyway. If I have to choose between watching the whole 2008 Clone Wars cartoon and all prequels, I'd defently pick later.

Yeah i agree with that.

Just like the Original Trilogy, and probably even more so, the Prequels made extensive use of practical effects. The difference between the two trilogies, where the practical effects were done by hand in the original, in the prequels, the PE (i.e. rotoscoping, compositing, etc.) were done digitally because of the digital film medium.

I would like to point to John Knoll's Creating the Worlds of Star Wars: 365 Days

or this TheForce.net thread for reference:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...e-prequels-sets-pictures-models-etc.50017310/

After seeing you thread from 'the force' the prequel trilogies may have too much cgi but it have some practical effects in those films like their predecessors did.

Heroes are forever
And it's commonly known that Lukas is a dick the way he treats expanded universe. Making bullshit story, like Forced Unleashed canon and dumpimg the majority of books... He has no respect for work of others.
He has the right to ignore anything written by somebody else because he created the universe. But he's not a dick, other than The Clone Wars, there isn't any other piece of media with a lot of input from him that has had so many contradictions to other material from Legends.
The decision to dump the material previously known as the EU to the Legends category was mostly by the Lucasfilm Story Group, Jennifer Heddle, etc.
George himself, while not overtly fond of Legends, did not give the final order for that execution.

The only thing Disney had officially announced as non-canon was the awful fanfiction that encompasses everything that is not the movies and Clone Wars toon. That means all of the comics and books are wiped out and rightfully so. The last thing we need is Disney being forced to follow someone's work just to make sure the movies work from a continuity standpoint. Now everything is off the table and they are free to write sequels and prequels however they so choose.
The difference between what most people consider ''awful fanfiction'' and the content created there is that for the most part, all those comics, novels, videogames, etc. did not aim to just do whatever the hell authors wanted to do with the characters for fun, but rather, give us even more stories with them without betraying who they were and expand the mythology introduced in only 6 movies, to further amplify the meaning of concepts such as The Force, the Dark and Light sides, the Galactic Republic, etc.

Dumping all of that was truly unnecessary unless they have very specific plans with the Pre-Republic and Old Republic eras, since those barely affect the time period of the Sequel Trilogy.

Some of the members of the Story Group were tasked with keeping it all together to avoid plotholes or continuity issues, and whenever anything new came out, it would have to undertake a thorough check and review to ensure it fit these guidelines. It was hard and passionate work, all in respect of George Lucas' vision and in respect of the fans' intelligence.
The one exception was anything George Lucas said or wrote, which could override anything. For this reason, there were several hiearchies of canon.

Now, however, that is no longer the case. If you hated that content, then you might not come to like what's going to come next, because novels, comics and videogames are still going to come out and now they will hold even more meaning because the hierarchies are gone, and now there is only one single, cohesive continuity. The movies are part of this too, and so, they will have to adhere to everything else as well. If there is ever a X-XII trilogy, whatever material came out that takes place after the ST will not be able to simply be ignored, they'll have to write a story bound by that.

There is no longer an expanded universe, now it's just the universe.

He has the right to ignore anything written by somebody else because he created the universe. But he's not a dick, other than The Clone Wars, there isn't any other piece of media with a lot of input from him that has had so many contradictions to other material from Legends.
The decision to dump the material previously known as the EU to the Legends category was mostly by the Lucasfilm Story Group, Jennifer Heddle, etc.
George himself, while not overtly fond of Legends, did not give the final order for that execution.

Yeah that's right if any written material or 'video games' made by other companies getting permission from the creator or the holders who own the creators rights but are not originally created by the creator himself then it is considered non-canon

The difference between what most people consider ''awful fanfiction'' and the content created there is that for the most part, all those comics, novels, videogames, etc. did not aim to just do whatever the hell authors wanted to do with the characters for fun, but rather, give us even more stories with them without betraying who they were and expand the mythology introduced in only 6 movies, to further amplify the meaning of concepts such as The Force, the Dark and Light sides, the Galactic Republic, etc.

Dumping all of that was truly unnecessary unless they have very specific plans with the Pre-Republic and Old Republic eras, since those barely affect the time period of the Sequel Trilogy.

Some of the members of the Story Group were tasked with keeping it all together to avoid plotholes or continuity issues, and whenever anything new came out, it would have to undertake a thorough check and review to ensure it fit these guidelines. It was hard and passionate work, all in respect of George Lucas' vision and in respect of the fans' intelligence.
The one exception was anything George Lucas said or wrote, which could override anything. For this reason, there were several hierarchies of canon.

Now, however, that is no longer the case. If you hated that content, then you might not come to like what's going to come next, because novels, comics and video games are still going to come out and now they will hold even more meaning because the hierarchies are gone, and now there is only one single, cohesive continuity. The movies are part of this too, and so, they will have to adhere to everything else as well. If there is ever a X-XII trilogy, whatever material came out that takes place after the ST will not be able to simply be ignored, they'll have to write a story bound by that.

There is no longer an expanded universe, now it's just the universe.

You may be right making the prequel trilogy as non canon will be useless George Lucas created them even if they are hated by most hardcore star wars fans at least they can be used as back stories to the original trilogy ,I mean removing the 'origin' is like not remembering where you are born or something.

Also even though the video games and the novels which are once expanded universe are now 'legends' most fans will always make fan fiction and official people will always make video games,comics and novels whether if are part of the star wars canon or not.

and you know what now that Disney owns the franchise and with the sequel trilogy in the development with the first directed by JJ abrams it look there won't be the expanded universe just the 'star wars' universe.

and you know what now that Disney owns the franchise and with the sequel trilogy in the development with the first directed by JJ abrams it look there won't be the expanded universe just the 'star wars' universe.
I'm just waiting for the day they announce that Leia's being added to the Disney Princesses roster. :laugh:

D

Dr Kain

I'm just waiting for the day they announce that Leia's being added to the Disney Princesses roster. :laugh:

That would have been awesome to see her in that Robot Chicken skit from a few weeks back. :laugh:

Read my smart post
On a random note...I really hope Liam Neeson is in the Star War sequel, I know his characters dead and everything but it would be kinda cool to connect him and Luke

The only thing Disney had officially announced as non-canon was the awful fanfiction that encompasses everything that is not the movies and Clone Wars toon. That means all of the comics and books are wiped out and rightfully so. The last thing we need is Disney being forced to follow someone's work just to make sure the movies work from a continuity standpoint.

I recommend the four-book series Lost Tribe of the Sith. It was at a great discount online on the Kindle Store, but the storyline is probably the only thing I paid attention to in the Expanded Universe aside from the TV shows.

Calling the EU "Legends" allows them to use any of the elements they want to use with the next trilogy without stepping on the glass of the fandom or making it impossible for casuals to be drowned by the countless buildup of material in the Star Wars franchise. In my personal opinion, I like that idea as well as if future films did take from the very best elements and stories from certain authors, instead of disregarding the gold mine of ideas that would last any studio decades of entertainment.

There's a reason why I only stick to the alternate comic stories and one-offs in Marvel and DC. The mainline comics usually don't appeal to me for that exact reason. Despite what many fans fear about the non-canon status of those stories, Disney owns it all now and could decide to reverse it for some stories , depending on what story they wanted to tell.