Do you think star wars prequel trilogy is going to be non canon?

Everyone knows that the star wars Prequel trilogy is considered a hatred to many hardcore star wars fans because it doesn't have the same feeling the original trilogy has because unlike the original the prequel trilogy has too much C.G.I,The acting as most think is terrible it earned most razzie nominations and awards and a comic relief like jar jar binks Lucas made doesn't work and considered annoying.

Since Disney bought the star wars franchise even though George Lucas is now its creative advisor do you think the company will make the prequel trilogy as non canon and make a 'new' timeline in the franchise since hardcore star wars fans hate it.

I mean i never hate the star wars prequel trilogy well almost cause its almost the 'first' star wars film i saw i mean i never watch the original first star wars film (aka a new hope ) when i was young well a bit of the special edition on television until i got the DVD which has the original and digital mastered edition.

Anyway do you think star wars prequel trilogy is going to be non canon by Disney since they bought the franchise and most star wars fans hate it?

Last edited:
D

Dr Kain

No, that would be stupid to just eliminate movies from continuity just because a percentage of the fans of the series hate them. The prequels have their fans just as much as the originals do, it is just the original fans are more vocal about it to the point that even those like the prequels are shut out before they can even defend their points. As such, it isn't really worth arguing about since the OT fans will never listen to the good points anyway.

I personally prefer the OT, but there are legitimate moments of excellence to be found. The duel with Darth Maul is the redeeming factor of TPM. Everything that deals with Obiwan or Palpatine in the series is excellent. The discussion Palaptine has with Anakin about Darth Plagus is great. The Jedi execution scene. The fight choreography is excellent. Getting to see how Vader was born and the fight on Mustaphar leading there. The clones themselves that eventually become the Storm Troopers (although I think they forgot how to fire a weapon). THe music.

Disney seem to be going in the opposite direction. I only rarely dip into Star Wars news, so maybe my info is out of date, but last I heard Disney was rebranding all the existing expanded universe stories as 'Star Wars Legends' and declaring that everything under this banner (including everything set after Return of The Jedi) is non-canon so that the new films have a clean slate to work in. So as it stands the prequel trilogy and associated works like the Clone Wars TV shows make up the majority of the re-defined continuity.

K

Kamen Rider IXA

Try using some common sense, before asking.
Also, prequels are ok, but haters gonna hate anyway. If I have to choose between watching the whole 2008 Clone Wars cartoon and all prequels, I'd defently pick later.
And it's commonly known that Lukas is a dick the way he treats expanded universe. Making bullshit story, like Forced Unleashed canon and dumpimg the majority of books... He has no respect for work of others.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

scikaiju

Too much CGI?!:sly: If you'd researched anything on the prequel trilogy you'd be surprised how little CGI was used.

Only just you know, Characters, most of the shooting sets, limbs on actors in certain scenes, the space stuff...

The Bun Is In Your Mind
Just like the Original Trilogy, and probably even more so, the Prequels made extensive use of practical effects. The difference between the two trilogies, where the practical effects were done by hand in the original, in the prequels, the PE (i.e. rotoscoping, compositing, etc.) were done digitally because of the digital film medium.

I would like to point to John Knoll's Creating the Worlds of Star Wars: 365 Days

or this TheForce.net thread for reference:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...e-prequels-sets-pictures-models-etc.50017310/

D

Dr Kain

Disney seem to be going in the opposite direction. I only rarely dip into Star Wars news, so maybe my info is out of date, but last I heard Disney was rebranding all the existing expanded universe stories as 'Star Wars Legends' and declaring that everything under this banner (including everything set after Return of The Jedi) is non-canon so that the new films have a clean slate to work in. So as it stands the prequel trilogy and associated works like the Clone Wars TV shows make up the majority of the re-defined continuity.

The only thing Disney had officially announced as non-canon was the awful fanfiction that encompasses everything that is not the movies and Clone Wars toon. That means all of the comics and books are wiped out and rightfully so. The last thing we need is Disney being forced to follow someone's work just to make sure the movies work from a continuity standpoint. Now everything is off the table and they are free to write sequels and prequels however they so choose.

And the prequels had practical effects? Really? Then what do you call Yoda, the Senate, all of the backgrounds, and General Grievous?

The only thing Disney had officially announced as non-canon was the awful fanfiction that encompasses everything that is not the movies and Clone Wars toon. That means all of the comics and books are wiped out and rightfully so. The last thing we need is Disney being forced to follow someone's work just to make sure the movies work from a continuity standpoint. Now everything is off the table and they are free to write sequels and prequels however they so choose.
I understand that it makes things a lot more easy for them to make the film. I wouldn't say it was all bad fiction though. I remember reading the X-Wing series of novels as a teen and really enjoying them. I re-read them a couple of years ago and they held up really well. That got me interested in the Star Wars universe again, though I must admit that when I heard that they'd killed off Chewbacca and the villains were now invading aliens from another galaxy that were immune to the force, it sounded like the franchise had turned into something else altogether and it lost a lot of my interest. :disappoin

Last edited:
The Bun Is In Your Mind
And the prequels had practical effects? Really?

Yes, really. Practical Effects mixed with CGI effects. Read the thread I posted, it's very interesting. Did you know that for every prequel episode more miniatures and models were used than all of the OT combined?