Do You Find Yourself Unaffected by Praise and/or Criticism?

Is not impressed right now...
In other words, when somebody compliments you on your looks or something you did, do you not really care? Or when somebody criticizes something you do, does it not really phase you either way?

I'll post my thoughts in a separate post so you don't have to skim through all of it to get to the actual question.

Is not impressed right now...
I posted a personality disorder test in the Viewing Globe thread a while back, and one of the questions was, "Do you find yourself unaffected by praise or criticism?" and I think I said no, but the more I think about it, I think I AM.

This past Wednesday (April 29), I had to meet up with my instructor in my creative writing class, and she kept telling me that I was such a good writer, and I have such a good voice and all that other ****, and honestly, I was not flattered by that. Not in the slightest bit. And I think that's because I'm pretty sure she HAD to say that. You PAY for this class. Why would you pay for a class (particularly an artistic-type class) just to have the instructor tell you suck at it? I'd bet my bottom dollar that the same thing she said to me, she said to every other student. And that's not to say that she SHOULDN'T have--I think everyone in the class had strengths and I'm in NO way saying that I'm deserving of extra praise or anything--but it's like, do you REALLY think that or areyou just saying so you don't crush people's dreams?

It also reminded me of last August when I went to my cousin's wedding. A couple of my other cousins and family members, who I hadn't seen in a couple of years (since they all live in Kansas and I live in Nevada), kept telling me I was so handsome and I should be a model and all this other bullshit. And ignoring the fact that I am too short to be a model, I did buy that at all. 'Cause it's like, they're family. They're people I haven't seen in, like, three years and probably won't see for another few years. What the **** were they SUPPOSED to say--you're ugly as ****?

So, yeah, that's how I feel.

CPS

Social conventions are a *****. (At least that is what I translated that rant as)

It stinks.
I won't lie, I do sometimes get affected by criticism. It dosen't really bother me that much, but to a certain point, it gets to me. It makes me mad and faustrated and just want to break something. But, I try my best to repress that and be like "yeah, whatever."

Cripes, I'm the opposite of this. I'm deeply affected by criticism, and generally take it to heart and try to figure out how to improve myself. And praise tends to either embarrass the hell out of me, or make me glow like a oafish lightbulb.

It depends on who the person is.

Ding ding!

has to be someone I give two shits about for it to actually affect me. Though if at work I can get rather annoyed and sometimes show it depending on my day & how many other crackpots I've had to deal with I sometimes bite back so to speak:loltongue:

more out of annoyance of having to deal with the people/person than anything they are actually saying to me though