Video Games Do Video Games Make People Violent?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GamerPerson, Dec 4, 2014.

1. GamerPerson

GamerPerson Member

Okay, so I touched on this topic before in other thread, but thought I'd create one to properly ask this question:

Do video games make people violent?

My response is a resounding no. Fact of the matter being anyone has the chance to act on violence. It's not a missing link that as a human species that we're known for causing mayhem and destruction for lesser things. However, to blame video games for the increase of that is just plain wrong. History has shown us that we've taken to acts of violence before video games were made. If you were a person of a different race, you were fought/killed or enslaved for being who you are. If you were just a prisoner of war, you were killed or placed in camps. If you were a different religion, you either submitted to a new one that you didn't agree with or you died. So, it seems to be a rather bold state to say: "Videos games make someone violent."

This, of course, is only my way of thinking and opinion. I'm more than open to hearing your thoughts on this everyone! :D

2. JessiFox

JessiFox New Member

No offense to you or this post specifically or anything but I get so sick of this question. I feel like this debate might never entirely go away, you know?

I don't think that video games or other media make people violent, by any means. If there's any correlation at all, I think it's the other way around. Already violent people may gravitate to and enjoy violent media in ways that the rest of us can't relate to. But for most people it's just a way to blow off steam or just enjoy the game for other reasons.

3. ozadin

ozadin Member

No. The media (I'm looking at you CNN, Fox and other news stations) has been grossly exaggerating these situations. Video games in no way encourage violent behavior. In fact, it is the complete opposite for me as I play video games for stress-relief and fun. I like to make the analogy that people play video games to release their violence instead of in real life. People who agree that video games makes people violent are ignorant, and looks for a scapegoat for his/her son's/daughter's behavior.

4. Profit5500

Profit5500 New Member

The media has always had a issue with videogames. I mean there were so many debaters like Jack Thompson who had debated about the game called "Bully". I could remember when he and Adam Sessler had duked it out when the G4TV channel was still there. Jack Thompson looked like an idiot when he debated against Adam Sessler. I could recall the game "Bully" was really good and it was something that was made from Rockstar Games. Going back on point videogames are created to allow people to escape life's horrible situations. You do not need to play the videogames to be a violent person. Look at Jack the Ripper he did not play any videogames to prove he was a violent person. He was already violent to begin with but there were no videogames back in Jack the Ripper's day either. If you chose to go off on a killing spree it is on your own indulgence. The videogames are just virtual and do not have anything to do with how you behave. You make your own decision to stab a person with a knife. There is no absolute way that a virtual simulator of any kind would persuade you to make that move. People act violently on his or her own volition so it is not like you use videogames as a scapegote. So I would just stick to using videogames for entertainment purposes.

5. Robbinho14

Robbinho14 New Member

Its the mainstream media way of getting rid of gamers or something. And the parents listen to the mainstream media like a bunch of sheep resulting in fucking up situations between gamers and their parents. I think the only people that are aggressive in games are little kids (around the 10 years old) They seem too young to handle fucked up situations in games and tend to rage and get aggressive about it.

6. GamerPerson

GamerPerson Member

@JessiFox - No, I totally understand. No offense taken. I get sick of people blaming it on whatever is the most popular things among the community. I just wished to talk about because I rather enlighten and ask questions, rather than have it stashed away and completely misconstrued.

@ozadin - My thoughts exactly. There have been more than one account of people in the media's light saying false allegations against a company or game. It's a shock that they haven't gotten sued for slander, yet. I guess simply saying: "I'm sorry, I haven't played the game" negates that chance to do so.

@Profit5500 - The media has been doing this type of thing since we've been convienced. People don't take the time to research things and go with wild allegations to stir up some attention. Before video games, you know it had to have been movies that were deemed evil. Or was it that "dang rap music", I forget which. :)

@Robbinho14 - It's like you said, it's the scapegoat that's currently popular in today's society. If you so much as do some research on the types of age appropriate games, parents, I don't think you need to worry. Also, putting in effort to watch what they play and explain things to them would help too. Just a thought.

7. majessticah

majessticah New Member

No, not at all. My thoughts have always been that people have always been violent. People who are inherently violent will be violent whether they play video games or not. If anything, video games will serve as a cathartic outlet for them to express frustration or anger, as for many people. The media just needs to blame their failures as a society on something when a teenaged kid gets a gun from our lack of gun control and shoots people with it -- so they pick video games as the culprit, and it's ridiculous.

8. GamerPerson

GamerPerson Member

@majessticah - You mirror my thoughts exactly.
    "Quick! Someone just shot up a school!"
    "Were they anti-social?"
    "He was a loner that didn't speak much."
    "Then he must be a gamer. Come up with a bs report by the end of the day."
    Ridiculous.

9. JessiFox

JessiFox New Member

Oh I totally agree that discussion is good, it just seems like too often the discussion isn't really enlightening people because the people who are already being reasonable about it are already going to understand and agree, and the people (and/or media outlets) that aren't being reasonable aren't likely to listen. But perhaps I'm being a bit too jaded on it. A little discussion never hurt :)

10. GamerPerson

GamerPerson Member

@JessiFox - This is ,also, sadly true. While individuals that try to state a point try to be rational, the people in charge try to tune them out by talking over them and just trying to pass off a further stigma. The reasoning is still: "If it bleeds, it leads" to them. If they lose one of their main hot topics, they need to try to do, Heave forbid, ACTUAL work for something that's more legit.

*Sighs*

I saw one of these types when a guy was demonstrating a video game and the news person purposely kept bombarding him with inane questions.

"How do we go from hitting prostitutes to playing a lego game? Why is there violence in this game? Are you trying to promote violence to small children?"

The guy straight up told him that he's focusing on the violent aspect of the game rather than the game itself. He tried to sway people to "think of the children" mindset because all he saw was something that he didn't understand, even though the gamer tried to explain it to him only for it to fall on death ears because he hit him with one stupid question after the other.

11. vegito12

vegito12 New Member

I don't think video games are encouraging violence, it's like a knife which is used for cutting meat and vegetables but some people use it to harm others and cause pain when it was not intended for that purpose. Video games are a fun way to relax, rockstar has had issues with people using grand theft auto when committing crimes and saying the game made them do it and some people have tried to sue them for it. I think people need to realize blaming others for your actions is not right, and using a videogame to save face i not about being being man enough to face reality that it is your actions which cause violence not playing a game.

12. BluBird

BluBird Member

I have been playing Grand Theft Auto since San Andreas was released and I haven't killed anyone. I'm not thinking about killing anyone either.:D Shooting someone in a video game will not make you want to shoot someone in real life. If that logic worked, then would that mean that if I played an NFL video game, I would become a professional NFL player?

13. c9h2ua

c9h2ua New Member

No, I don't think so.
    I think it really depends on what kind of game that you are playing.
    If you are playing Wii or Minecraft, it is absolutely not going to make you violent, because those games would not bring out any message about being violent. They are just games that help you liberate from pressure...

14. hellonamesdana

We've had this debate a few times throughout my social psychology classes, and I honestly don't think that violent video games or violent tv shows can make someone violent. They're already violent. Maybe more violent people view more violent types of media, that makes a lot more sense than these things corrupting them to be violent!

15. Mika

Mika New Member

I don't think that it can make someone violent; however, it may make someone more prone to acting violent. I feel that a person's level of violence is something already set on a bar. Some days you just want to punch your coworker in the face, it happens. Video games won't change how much you want to hit them though (unless you're stuck on that last boss that for some reason just won't die). On the other hand, if you play a lot of games where you do actually hit your coworker, it might make it more likely for a person to slip up and let it happen. It could become something natural to do. I don't think this is a good excuse though, and I definitely don't believe video games make people violent. Ah, it might seem a bit confusing what I'm trying to say. Sorry about that.

16. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

I don't believe that video games make people more violent. I think the daily news and religion does a fine job of that already. This was a hotly contested debate a long time ago back in the 1980s. They wanted to censor video games like how they tried to censor music. Eventually they cam out with a video games rating system. But kids still got to play the gore games because parent still bought them or they could easily get it from their friends.

My friends and I have been playing video games for 30 years now and not a single one of us have performed violent acts because a video game had influenced up to.

17. niiro17

niiro17 New Member

Nah. It doesn't except if you make your kid play some games that are meant for adult, they may do it. And that is your fault because that is what they see. They don't know what is right and what is wrong. So, it depends.

18. CyberGal

CyberGal Guest

I don't think that they make a person violent but they can bring out their violent tendencies by giving them a place to act on them. However, I think it's better that they act on these tendencies in the game instead of in real life. So, ultimately, I don't have an issue with video games.

19. fire421

fire421 New Member

They don't unless the person already has a mental disorder. The video games might trigger the mental disorder and make them think that what happens on screen is reality which leads to violence.

20. edthebig

edthebig New Member

No. As a matter of fact I consider them more of a steam release machanism than anything else. We are intelligent, eloquent people. We know that if we shoot somebody's head off in GTA V because it is fun, it will not be fun in real life. We know we shouldn't hit hookers with a bat in the middle of the street. Personally I consider people who beleive this a little ignorant, and maybe it's because they have never played before.