I don't think I've ever heard any of them screaming kuso or chikushou but the worst I've heard was kutabare which pretty much means something like "**** you!" in Japanese. onore was commonly used in the 80's though.

Shyni
Is "kuso" really a swear word? I'm pretty sure there were a few episodes in Ultraman Dyna when Asuka said it almost as if it was his transformation word.

Last edited:
Is "kuso" really a swear word? I'm pretty sure there were a few episodes in Ultraman Dyna when Asuka sort of used it as a transformation word.

kuso literally means faeces, which is also the alternate word for... you guessed it, ****.

Soooo... curse words just aren't as big a deal in Japan?

I dunno, I think they just don't *have* the kind of curse words we do. Just because "kuso" means feces...they might just be saying "Poop poop poop" rather than "**** **** ****!"

I've only ever rarely heard someone use "kutabare" even in mature anime. But I've heard "kuso", "onore", and "kisama" more times than I can count.

It's kind of fun to imagine that all of Japan's TV sounds like the televised DBZ dub, where all of the heroes say "Darn you!"

"Onore" and "Kisama" are more like sarcastic expletives, because they were polite terms for "you" several centuries ago.

Like using "thou" as an expletive.

Now Demonic
Curse words aren't a big deal in english. The reactions to them are the big deal and that's strange because they're really just words.