Lurker
Disney has issued an edict ruling that all Marvel superhero content must originate from the US.

The move is expected to have major repercussions for Panini and Marvel UK, who deliver content based on the publisher's catalogue for young readers, reports Bleeding Cool.

Marvel Heroes Magazine has featured work from top creators such as Ferg Handley and Andie Tong, and has competed with Titan's Batman and Rebellion's 2000AD in the news stand market.

As such content is not as widely published in the US, several Marvel titles are expected to be cancelled or overhauled.

Marvel became a subsidiary of Disney in late 2009 following a multi-million dollar deal.

An official announcement of the edict is expected to be made soon.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/comics/n...striction.html

The UK Spectacular Spider-Man comic is a very unique and fun title which, in addition to telling great stories, had a respect for all corners of the mythology (it even included guest apperances from Mayday) and had a better handle of a "young and single" Spidey than BND has ever provided, maintaining the basics and core essentials of the character. it's a shame to comprehend that it may no longer be able to provide original stories.

Funny how Disney said it wouldn't meddle with Marvel's operations when it aquired it eh?
This has nothing to do with Marvel, it has to do with Panini which is one of Disney's biggest competitors in Europe. My guess is that Disney is going to make the Marvel license and operation so unappealing and hassle to deal with they will ask Disney to buy them out.

Yeah, my first thought was also about Disney's insistence that they wouldn't muck around with anything.

This has nothing to do with Marvel, it has to do with Panini which is one of Disney's biggest competitors in Europe. My guess is that Disney is going to make the Marvel license and operation so unappealing and hassle to deal with they will ask Disney to buy them out.

um...I'm...actually not familiar with this whole situation, although I am intrigued. Can someone explain a bit more? I know there's always been a fair amount of connection between the U.S. and the U.K. for modern western comics, but how does this solve anything or make this other group ask for a buyout?

The thing is Marvel UK isn't a part of Marvel anymore. During the mid-90's crash Marvel UK's assets were sold to Panini which is a major publisher in Europe. Basically this just another one of the deals that Marvel got themselves into post-bankruptcy that is biting Disney on the ass. Think of like the current Universal Studio's Island of Adventure deal that is in place. Disney is honoring it to the letter of law but they aren't going to help out their competition in any fashion and if they can hinder them.

Tyrannosaurus!
The thing is Marvel UK isn't a part of Marvel anymore. During the mid-90's crash Marvel UK's assets were sold to Panini which is a major publisher in Europe. Basically this just another one of the deals that Marvel got themselves into post-bankruptcy that is biting Disney on the ass. Think of like the current Universal Studio's Island of Adventure deal that is in place. Disney is honoring it to the letter of law but they aren't going to help out their competition in any fashion and if they can hinder them.

Ah gotcha.

Nice post!!
"We don't plan to screw with anything" usually only lasts for about a year or two after an acquisition. Disney acquired Marvel in August 2009.

Lurker
Just got word from Digital Spy that one magazine, Marvel Heroes, has been cancelled as a result of this edict.