Formally known as Bennu
Welcome to the discussion thread for Ultraman Z, Special Episode; "Bonds of Masters and Disciples"

This Week: Together with our protagonist Haruki Natsukawa, the young warrior Ultraman Z has gained a new power and once again reaffirmed the bonds of friendship. Now, Z looks back on the battles he has fought with Zero and Geed, while his mentor, Zero, reminisces about the passionate bonds formed by his juniors. Don’t miss this special highlights reel as Ultraman Z enters its endgame and approaches its climax!

Remember, this is a SPOILER ZONE! If you are trying to avoid spoilers, this is not the place for you.
HOWEVER! This is not the place to discuss future episodes. You may discuss previous episodes, next-episode previews and related subjects, but stick to the episode at hand. Please be considerate of those who haven't watched ahead yet. Thank you

D

Dr Kain

Is Tsuburaya trying to surpass Gundam Seed Destiny in the number of clipshows contest? Because this is absolute fucking bullshit. Three clips in 10 weeks is completely unacceptable. Not just that, but this was one of the worst clipshows ever made. We did not need the last four minutes of the episode to recap the footage we just saw in the LAST episode.

Why not do a clipshow on Juggler's perspective and have him explain when he came to this world, how he got there, why he went there, and what his goal is?

Also, why are all of these clip shows only showing footage from recent series? Why not show footage from the Showa era shows or even the early Heisei ones? Like instead of showing the Yapool stuff from Ultra Fight Victory, show it from Ace. No one wants to see clips from a poorly saturated crapfest.

S

scikaiju

I'm assuming they're only showing the newer show because they fit modern high def television screens better without putting some sort of place holder on either side instead of leaving it black like a vertical widscreen.

s for the clip show itself it was what it was. But based on last week's trailer I expected Belialrok to be the one talking.

D

Dr Kain

All I know is this show is really killing its momentum with these clipshows. It's bad enough that we are 20 episodes in without a single movement in the plot that was established in the first episode, but having three of them now is just uncalled for. The next 5-6 weeks better be nothing but plot dumps.

Not sure why they would have to make anything special for the old shows not being in 16x9 though. Black bars will suffice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Member of the Doomcock Army, w/o respect we reject
How the **** did any of this happen? Can we just examine the mecha and toku landscape for a minute?

>New Ultraman series can't decide on serialized or episodic format nor can it make its continuity clear
>New Wataru reboot had a big chunk of the plot relegated to tie in material with no new music and animation that cut corners
>Sentai still dying, so hard we have not heard anything new about another Space Squad movie
>New Kamen Rider series causes seizures, diabetes, and migraines toward anyone that watches it
>New Gundam series wrecked its own momentum by being super serial teen drama and I say this as a Seed fan
>Turboranger and Blue SWAT subs in limbo
>Mill Creek can't get Ultraman Powered and Great
>Taiga's movie endlessly delayed
>Eureka Seven guy's new title was genuinely awful and just an excuse to throw vintage rock references everywhere
>Macross Delta's second movie, Rebuild of Evangelion 4.0, and Hathaway's Flash got delayed
>Toei gets off their ass and subs lots of toku, but quality and subs are so mediocre nobody wants to rip them
>Godzilla vs. Kong doesn't even get a trailer
>Star Wars on life support

And everything I just listed gets blown the fudge out by some anime about a narcoleptic princess that slays demons for makeshift bedding. I got to hand it to Zero One, it didn't just pull the weight of its franchise, but throughout its run it was the one mecha related thing not to completely falter. Good thing guys like Linkara and Doomcock make loads of entertaining content.

D

Dr Kain

How the **** did any of this happen? Can we just examine the mecha and toku landscape for a minute?

>New Ultraman series can't decide on serialized or episodic format nor can it make its continuity clear

Continuity is clear, the narrative is not.

>Sentai still dying, so hard we have not heard anything new about another Space Squad movie

Why would we need another Space Squad movie? Was the last one not bad enough?

>New Gundam series wrecked its own momentum by being super serial teen drama and I say this as a Seed fan

What Gundam series?

>Turboranger and Blue SWAT subs in limbo

How does that have anything to do with anything?

>Mill Creek can't get Ultraman Powered and Great

Okay... so?

>Taiga's movie endlessly delayed
>Macross Delta's second movie, Rebuild of Evangelion 4.0, and Hathaway's Flash got delayed
>Godzilla vs. Kong doesn't even get a trailer

It's called Covid.

>Star Wars on life support

Did you miss The Mandalorian?[/quote]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to disagree with the Doc about there being no story. Z has been quite a deep dive into a classic theme that many Showa and Heisei Ultra series have gone into, and IMO has already explored it more than a lot of those did (and certainly more than any of the previous New Generation season have).

I have not yet seen episode 20, but from what I've already heard on social media it goes into the same moral quandary, so I'll save the big paragraph ranting about it for that thread.

Having said that, I do agree that's it's a shame that they don't show clips from the classic seasons, especially as a lot of the previous series episodes referenced by this show are further connected to these themes and it would be nice to show this to viewers who haven't seen the older series (or those who don't have time to watch the episodes Tsubuaraya puts up on their youtube channel - they're not randomly selected!).

As for why there's so many clip shows, well blame COVID for putting a delay on everything. Personally I'll take what we're given; As a Doctor Who fan we've just been informed that next year's series is being cut down to just eight episodes due to the difficulties the pandemic puts on filming. Ultraman's doing fine by comparison. Especially as that 'Ultimate Conspiracy' show is starting soon.
Can we just examine the mecha and toku landscape for a minute?
Mecha's been a dead genre for, what, over fifteen years now? We've got over 30 years of content from before that to explore though.

I just started watching 'Giant Robo: The Day The Earth Stood Still' and it's been brilliant so far. I have a massive list of things I'd like to try out - the robot romance trilogy, the super dimension trilogy, the brave series, VOTOMS, Heroic Age, Megazone 23, Dai-Guard, Vandread, Rideback,...the list goes on and on.

There's still plenty of cool mecha out there waiting for you even if the Gunpla shows aren't to your taste.
we have not heard anything new about another Space Squad movie
Eh, Space Squad always felt like a "we've been handed lemons so we'll try making lemonade" type of situation.

After the Gavan movie didn't do as well as they'd thought (given the massive success of Gavan vs Gokaiger) they tried pivoting to the Space Sheriffs as a trio. Then the actor who played the new Sharivan (and previously Geki Violet) retired from acting. So they crossed Gavan with Dekaranger, and the actor who played Deka Break retired from acting. So now they don't have full teams of either Space Sheriffs or Dekarangers anymore. Also, I'm guessing the '10 Years After' films weren't massively profitable given that the Go-Onger one clearly took a massive budget cut.

They jammed them with the Kyurangers, but TBH this whole nostalgic bringing heroes back idea feels like something that's just not found a large enough audience to justify it's continued existence.

D

Dr Kain

I'm not saying there isn't a story, I'm saying there hasn't been any main plot development. We still know absolutely nothing about the alien dude that took over the employee's body. He just randomly appears to toss out monsters from time to time without us knowing why. Like why was he trying to create a Belial medal? What is his main objective? Where does he come from? Why is he there? Why does he have to change host bodies? That thing just came out of the blue without any development at all.

It is utterly inexcusable for a 25 episode series to have THREE clip shows, especially ones as useless as this series has had. I guess the only positive I can say is that at least two of them could be skipped and you wouldn't miss a thing. Episdoe 13, on the other hand, does not give you that luxury, which is very annoying. I just finished R/B and they had the same bullshit there where the clipshow had to be watched because of like 2 minutes worth of new scenes.

Also, it's not Covid related because the show finished filming weeks ago. That means they are way ahead of the game compared to how Toei does Kamen Rider and Sentai.

As for Doctor Who, that might be a blessing having it only be 8 episodes as that means Chibnall only has 8 episodes he can **** up continuity with even moreso than he did as opposed to doing it with 10 episodes. If I sucked as badly at my job as Chibnall has, I would have been fired, but nope, he gets to continue skating by despite being a shitty hack of a writer.

Did not know the actors for Deka Break and Sharivan retired from acting. Though, since Deka Break had become the commander of Earth, it's not like they really need him to be there on the battlefield. Just say he got promoted to a supreme commander and is no longer stationed on Earth. If they must have Deka Break's costume in battle, have it passed along to a new VICE member. Though, the Gavan movie did quite poorly because it was just a terrible movie all around. Toei should be blaming their writers not the audience for not wanting to watch trash. In fact, that seems to be a problem with Toei as of late. They don't care about quality, they just put crap out there and if it does poorly, it's the audience's lack of interest that made it to bad, not their inability to put out a good product.

Personally, I'm tired of all of these team-ups and past heroes showing up to babysit the new ones. The new heroes would stand out if, once again, Toei actually put effort into their works.

Kiramager and Zero-One are/were fantastic and they didn't need to rely on nostalgia to be good because they were well written (mostly). Part of Zero One's folly does relate to Covid, but despite Covid, Kiramager has been the best Sentai series since Gokaiger, if not Gekiranger.

Member of the Doomcock Army, w/o respect we reject
Why would we need another Space Squad movie? Was the last one not bad enough?
It was good but even ignoring that the next entry would have had Jiban, they left with reasonable sequel bait and yes I intend to see it. Nothing is worse than Kamen Rider Build.
What Gundam series?
Re:Rise.
How does that have anything to do with anything?
Landscape.
Did you miss The Mandalorian?
Never bothered with it. Even though I know it's on places like sockshare.ac and fmovies.to, episode lengths are just too long. Same reason I stopped watching Flash around season 4, way too much run time and not enough fat cutting. Besides, Doomcock rumors suggest they're trying to alter continuity of the movies, just like with Alien: Covenant and Terminator: Dark Fate I'm not paying money for caving into non-playable characters. It's what Raging Golden Eagle does.
Mecha's been a dead genre for, what, over fifteen years now?
So dead that Macross and Gundam are still chugging and we're getting an adaption of Getter Robo Arc next year. And why pick 2005 specifically? Code Geass was huge and aired right after that.
I just started watching 'Giant Robo: The Day The Earth Stood Still' and it's been brilliant so far
Good to see you liked it, I thought it was a massive slog to get through, the 60s toku was much better.
Kiramager has been the best Sentai series since Gokaiger, if not Gekiranger.
Gokaiger is the only sentai worse than Megaranger though. I'm only 8 eps into Ryusoulger so that might change because at this point even I have to question storyboarding.

D

Dr Kain

Never bothered with it. Even though I know it's on places like sockshare.ac and fmovies.to, episode lengths are just too long.

Hold on a minute, you say Star Wars is dying, then when I prove you wrong, you say you haven't watched it and don't intend to, which means you are intentionally ignoring that The Mandalorian proves you wrong.

Also, how are the episodes too long? Some episodes are 34 minutes, some are 40, 42, 45, 50, etc. No episode has a set length because they let the episode be as long as the story required. There wasn't a single episode from Season 1 I felt dragged on for too long or was too short. They were all perfect.

Gokaiger is the only sentai worse than Megaranger though. I'm only 8 eps into Ryusoulger so that might change because at this point even I have to question storyboarding.

lol If you think either Gokai or Mega are bad at all. Next you're going to tell me Trump actually won the election with how delusional you are.