Formally known as Bennu
Welcome to the discussion thread for Ultraman Z, Episode 21; "D4"

maxresdefault (4).jpg

"Things just got SERIOUS!"​

This Week: A new weapon has been developed from the recovered remains of Baraba that uses the abilities of the Extradimensional Being Yapool! Haruki and the others are against using this weapon’s terrible powers, but at that moment, the Brutal Space Monster Kelbim appears! The new weapon, “D4,” is equipped to King Joe STORAGE Custom. Will Yoko be able to pull the trigger?!

Remember, this is a SPOILER ZONE! If you are trying to avoid spoilers, this is not the place for you.
HOWEVER! This is not the place to discuss future episodes. You may discuss previous episodes, next-episode previews and related subjects, but stick to the episode at hand. Please be considerate of those who haven't watched ahead yet. Thank you

Last edited:
D

Dr Kain

Watched this as it premiered and that was weird as I wasn't able to skip the commercials.

It was an odd episode. I can't tell you if I liked it or not because I'm not sure yet. The short commander was very out of character the entire time and the narrative felt a bit disjointed. I really feel like they should have killed Yoko off in that explosion to give the situation some sort of impact.

Formally known as Bennu
Watched this as it premiered and that was weird as I wasn't able to skip the commercials.

It was an odd episode. I can't tell you if I liked it or not because I'm not sure yet. The short commander was very out of character the entire time and the narrative felt a bit disjointed. I really feel like they should have killed Yoko off in that explosion to give the situation some sort of impact.

I think the commander's attitude was intentionally out of character and that there might be more than meets the eye.

I'm currently predicting that the short commander was taken over by the parasite alien as it passed him on the stairwell, and thereafter was carrying out his plans. That would make more sense IMO.

Once again they're continuing that big themes of the series (and arguably the entire franchise) that I mentioned before:
- That fighting monsters is never morally a black and white 'good vs evil' thing (indeed that killing is always a an act of evil, regardless of the reason).
- That killing others, regardless of the reason, always comes at a cost to yourself (one which the Ultras try to bear until they can find a way of achieving that elusive lasting peace)
- That lasting peace cannot be achieved by killing your enemies (which in the Ultra multiverse is essentially impossible anyway, as any being that dies "bearing a grudge" goes to the monster graveyard and can potentially come back).

My big take-away from this episode is that Juggler was opposed to this Earth developing a kill-em-all super weapon. Orb Origin showed that he was quite happy to kill in the name of saving people, and could not understand why the Ultras acted as if he had done anything wrong. It was heavily implied that his inability to understand was at least in part what lead him to be overlooked for the power of Orb. So whatever has happened to him since then, maybe he has grown a little?

D

Dr Kain

Yeah, but that doesn't account for how he was acting before that scene though.

He seemed pretty normal to me before the stairwell encounter. He's just the guy who communicates high command's orders. He sympathised with them and had indigestion, same as always.

S

scikaiju

I got the feeling the short commander (does he have a name?) was acting like the orders were given from above him and his hands were pretty much tied. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if Cerebo jumped bodies again seeing a better host. As for the rest of the episode the only thing that surprised me was Z acceptyance that the humans developed this weapon. But it does seem like the story is finally starting to amp up.

D

Dr Kain

lol Finally starting to amp up when it only has like what, 3 episodes left?