THISFILEHASNOSUBS-Thief-Sentai-Lupinranger-VS-Police-Sentai-Patranger-48-E9820184.mkv_snapshot_07.33_2019.01.20_22.03.42-695x391.jpg

Roger! I mean... Got you! ...Oh forget it.

Welcome to the discussion thread for Lupinranger VS Patranger, episode 48; "The Real Face Behind the Mask".
(Episode title's translation may vary depending on your fansub group of choice.)
This week: Noël surrenders himself to Gauche, who intended to dissect him before Dogranio decides to hold a broadcast public execution to force the Lupinrangers and Patrangers into an obvious trap.

This thread was made with Toku Prime's permission. And remember, this is a SPOILER ZONE! If you are trying to avoid spoilers, this is not the place for you.​

D

Dr Kain

Wow, just wow. That final fight with Gauche was down right awful. Actually, can you even call that thing a fight? I mean, she stood there and they shot beams at her and then she died. That's some Heisei Godzilla bullshit right there. Then again, I don't know what I expected from such a lame ass villain. I guess maybe her finale to actually do something with her character since we have had to deal with her for 48 episodes. She did absolutely nothing and had no development at all. Such a waste.

The Lupinrangers getting their identities revealed should have been cool, but the fact that Sakuya seemed so broken over it took away from the scene. There is no freaking way he could have truly been THAT dumb. Also, having the public all know who they were was equally lame. It would have been so much better had everyone just say something like, "I have no idea who they are," but nope, apparently all of Japan visits Jurer.

That's all the energy I'm willing to spend on this episode at this point. Let's hope the last two episodes can somewhat salvage this train wreck of a show so I can feel like it was at least worth sitting through.

I'm going to try to be positive about this episode. The previous episode didn't leave much room for that.

For a second, it looked like Noel gave up on purpose just to get closer to Dogranio and find out why he killed Arsene and stole the Lupin Collection. I can't tell if that's what Noel was going for or not, but if it was, they should have give then audience some kind of clue about that. It would make a bit more sense why Noel just gave up. Would it make the events of the previous episode better? No, it'd still be dumb, just a slightly less dumb.

That being said... Did the LupinRangers REALLY just head straight home after losing to Zamigo?! Did they just FORGET there was also a Gangler out and about?! What the heck?!
But I will give Gauche some props for wanting to do a live dissection. That's even more cold-blooded than a straight up execution. They really were planning on making Noel suffer painfully and slowly!

Wow, just wow. That final fight with Gauche was down right awful. Actually, can you even call that thing a fight? I mean, she stood there and they shot beams at her and then she died. That's some Heisei Godzilla bullshit right there. Then again, I don't know what I expected from such a lame ass villain. I guess maybe her finale to actually do something with her character since we have had to deal with her for 48 episodes. She did absolutely nothing and had no development at all. Such a waste.

The Lupinrangers getting their identities revealed should have been cool, but the fact that Sakuya seemed so broken over it took away from the scene. There is no freaking way he could have truly been THAT dumb. Also, having the public all know who they were was equally lame. It would have been so much better had everyone just say something like, "I have no idea who they are," but nope, apparently all of Japan visits Jurer.

Kain, I appreciate your view point. I feel like, for the most point, we are on the same wave-length. But I got a different impression this time around.

The reason the final fight with Gauche was anti-climatic was because Dogranio stole her pieces of the Lupin Collection, as well as any pieces the MOTW had. She went into it powered down. And she didn't even lose, she just got knocked down. Her power was at a stalemate with the heroes, so putting her gold box on the MOTW was her last gamble at trying to overpower them. Too bad it failed.

And as for the public watching the LupinRangers unmask themselves, I'm pretty sure it was just one or two people who recognized them, not every single person. And I don't think Sakuya really is that dumb; I think he was falling for Umika so hard that he refused to believe the truth. But once she unmasked AND transformed, there was no denying it anymore. If anything, Sakuya's heart break is probably the only good plot line in all this. When I saw the PatRangers perform that unite and divide trick, I instantly said "Why didn't you do that sooner while the thieves and Dogranio were talking?! You could have prevented the whole unmasking in the first place!" It's pretty lame when even Noel, the hostage, was smart enough to say they didn't need to be there.

But can we at least agree that the giant robot fight was beautiful to look at? The robots and the monsters wedged between buildings while the PatRangers open fire from below... To me, it really did feel like all eyes were on them to see what they do next. Usually, these giant fights have plenty of room between the miniature buildings, but here, it actually felt crowded and a bit more real.

D

Dr Kain

Oh I understand from a narrative standpoing why Gache lost so easily, but from a viewer standpoint, it was boring. I wanted to see an actual melee showdown, not just some quick Chinese bootleg Kamehameha.