Commander Of The Fizzy Pop!!!
Ok, so im a noob to forums, and discussions and the like...so i just wanted to throw put there, who is youre favorite Mask wearing hero OUTSIDE of toku?
again, im fairly new to the toku scene (i have the HJU podcast to thank for drawing me in)

but recently ive gotten back into M.A.S.K, which most of us may know from our child hood. id say this is my favorite non toku "Masked Rider" series, as they have great storys, fun character, wear masks and rider around in transforming cars. what more do you need? =D

Well, if this is what you mean, I am a HUGE comic book nerd, so I can name a lot of amazing American superheroes. I will always believe Spider-Man (not the toku one) to be one of the greatest characters in fictional history.

Well, if this is what you mean, I am a HUGE comic book nerd, so I can name a lot of amazing American superheroes. I will always believe Spider-Man (not the toku one) to be one of the greatest characters in fictional history.

i couldnt agree more, i think he is the first, most grounded hero as in he has real problems. his mortage, his job etc. it makes him relatable to everyone, but also is a glimps of what adult life is like for the kids reading it. just because you are a superhero, doesnt mean life will be perfect for you.

and yes that is exactly what i meant. =D

Welcome
The purple dinosaur.He can kill Putotyrana form OOO and Chuck Norris just by looking at them.
What?You think I'm kidding?

The purple dinosaur.He can kill Putotyrana form OOO and Chuck Norris just by looking at them.
What?You think I'm kidding?

no no i agree with you....only for the fact that everytime Barney is seen he is followed my THAT theme song, which is enough to make anyone stick a shotgun barrel in their mouth . =P

Super Moderator
The transformational aspect of superheroes is something that I enjoy very much so it's kind of no wonder that I got into tokusatasu. For some of my favorite non-toku heroes it's a more literal mask, like Spider-Man. For others its something akin to henshin heroes like with Billy Batson transforming into Captain Marvel. Then of course there is Batman for whom the mask is a tool to strike fear into the hearts of criminals but also an extension of Bruce Wayne turning his pain into action.

Superman, the guy I would pick were I forced to choose a favorite does not wear a mask as a superhero but there is the metaphorical mask he wears as Clark Kent. Hiding in plain sight as a muted version of himself (wether you are coming at it from the "geeky" version of Clark or Clark as the "real" person) then he is in a sense transforming to reveal the truth of his power and heroism. For many becoming the hero is to put the mask on, for him it's to take the mask off.

The transformational aspect of superheroes is something that I enjoy very much so it's kind of no wonder that I got into tokusatasu. For some of my favorite non-toku heroes it's a more literal mask, like Spider-Man. For others its something akin to henshin heroes like with Billy Batson transforming into Captain Marvel. Then of course there is Batman for whom the mask is a tool to strike fear into the hearts of criminals but also an extension of Bruce Wayne turning his pain into action.

Superman, the guy I would pick were I forced to choose a favorite does not wear a mask as a superhero but there is the metaphorical mask he wears as Clark Kent. Hiding in plain sight as a muted version of himself (wether you are coming at it from the "geeky" version of Clark or Clark as the "real" person) then he is in a sense transforming to reveal the truth of his power and heroism. For many becoming the hero is to put the mask on, for him it's to take the mask off.

Yeah, i have to totally agree with you about the transformations on that one Matt, thats what i always looked forward to when i was watching Power rangers and (dare i say it) Masked Rider when i was a boy. there is something just so Wondrous about it.

and as for the concept of Masks in the literal and the metaphorical, youve pretty much summed up everything that is needed to be said =P hahah