Yes... I think Onodera was a good replacement. We need to count the fact that Godai was a main character and Onodera a support character.

Ryuta Murai really gave his best to look like Odagiri Joe, to laugh like Godai and to act like so, but at the end the writers didn't gave him a good role, without action parts. They realised his importance in Hibiki's World when he returned as a Rider, not as a comic relief.

After reading most of these mostly positive opinions about the character and how it was dissapointing he was somewhat pushed under the rug, I was thinking it would be pretty interesting/plausible for Onodera Kuuga to get a solo movie/chou den-o story. Being able to give full attention to the character would really help him out. Would anyone else like to see that?

Toei would never do that. Kuuga only returned for half-a-year for the sake of a ten-year anniversary as a support characters, so technically, the real Kuuga story ended around ten years ago. Unless Toei remakes Kuuga to boost sales, a movie like that probably wouldn't happen.

Granted that it did, however, I would watch it. It'd be a good idea. Just don't mix it in with Den-O...

I only bring it up because obviously Toei felt Diend was good enough to get his own Den-o movie. Murai himself is always credited higher than Diend. So there should be no difference.

If they could not get them, then they should have just done something else. Instead they tried an awful compromise and threw in as much fanwanking garbage as possible to placate those fans who would just take whatever is given to them. The result: one of the worst tokus, most insulting ever made.

It was not the first time Toei featured Riders without their actors, and it won't be the last.

In order to use them a fully fledged characters in various situations, rather than soldiers in battle all the time, they came out and said that we were dealing with AU versions, rather than just keeping them in suits all the time. How is that an insult?

Essentially it could be a Gao-vs-SS style tutorial for him, the newest Rider, until he faced the ultimate enemy.

Are you serious...? Do you really think any audience would actually bother to watch a clip show series? I thought that you meant he'd go through experiences that might have some thematic connection to what the original Riders went through, while also acting in their original setting and eventually getting their suit to reinforce the connections, not actually standing around learning about them.

If your idea actually involved standing around learning about them... Eh... no. No one besides a small group of older fans would even care about a series like that. That would be a much bigger fanwank than Decade itself was.

So what? There are people who complain about Agito or Liveman or Nexus. But for the most part they're considered some of the best entries in their respective franchises. You can't cite finicky fans as a reason not to rewrite Decade in a non-abhorrent way.

But you seem to want to rewrite it just because you disagreed with a creative decision, rather than due to the real problems of the show.

There's nothing wrong about the concept of alternate versions of old characters. It's done all the time for various reasons even in mediums that would have no limitation due to casting.

Saying that Decade should have featured the original characters and actors more is one thing. I agree with that... but you don't seem to be speaking only about that. You seem to consider the existence of alternate versions by itself an insulting flaw, even though there's nothing inherently wrong about that concept.

After reading most of these mostly positive opinions about the character and how it was dissapointing he was somewhat pushed under the rug, I was thinking it would be pretty interesting/plausible for Onodera Kuuga to get a solo movie/chou den-o story. Being able to give full attention to the character would really help him out. Would anyone else like to see that?

It'd be an interesting idea, but, like Diend, they probably would need to tie him to some other Rider, rather than giving him a truly solo feature. I really don't think Toei would make a movie titled "Kamen Rider Kuuga" featuring Onodera as the protagonist.

Last edited:
In order to use them a fully fledged characters in various situations, rather than soldiers in battle all the time, they came out and said that we were dealing with AU versions, rather than just keeping them in suits all the time. How is that an insult?

So you don't think it's a slap in the face to the fanbase by saying "Yeah we're not going to try to do something special with our alumni, we're just going to stick some random faces into old costumes and say it's an AU. And you will enjoy it." As I keep saying, if Tsubaraya can get alumni back regularly, I can't believe Toei, a larger company with more funds, would find it so impossible.

Are you serious...? Do you really think any audience would actually bother to watch a clip show series? I thought that you meant he'd go through experiences that might have some thematic connection to what the original Riders went through, while also acting in their original setting and eventually getting their suit to reinforce the connections, not actually standing around learning about them.

Am I the only one who enjoyed what Gao-vs-SS did?

But to answer your question, what I meant was that it would take the idea from GvSS of the newest hero learning from his predecessors. Only in Decade, it would be Tsukasa fighting in place of each Rider and learning about them from the secondary characters. Why is that so bad?

But you seem to want to rewrite it just because you disagreed with a creative decision, rather than due to the real problems of the show.

A lot of the real problems stemmed from this "creative decision". A lot of people in the fandom hated this "creative decision" on the principle itself. The excuses people make for Toei being unable to do anything else are weak in my view.

Saying that Decade should have featured the original characters and actors more is one thing. I agree with that... but you don't seem to be speaking only about that. You seem to consider the existence of alternate versions by itself an insulting flaw, even though there's nothing inherently wrong about that concept.

It never seemed to me that you thought that. You always appeared to be the type that thought what Decade did was fantastic.

Maybe AU in itself isn't a bad idea. But that's not what I nor many other people wanted in Decade. And the way Decade did it was terrible in and of itself.

So you don't think it's a slap in the face to the fanbase by saying "Yeah we're not going to try to do something special with our alumni, we're just going to stick some random faces into old costumes and say it's an AU. And you will enjoy it." As I keep saying, if Tsubaraya can get alumni back regularly, I can't believe Toei, a larger company with more funds, would find it so impossible.

Is that the best possible outcome? No. But I really don't think it's insulting. Really, we're talking about shows where often these actors aren't on screen at all, just dubbing other people in suits. They all had their own series for character development, I don't think the lack of it in a later appearance is damning.

Besides, Toei never tried to fool people into thinking that the new faces were actually replacing the originals either. The AU take allowed the versions featured throughout most of Decade to actually be characters rather than just soldiers fighting all the time, and they did feature some old actors too.

Regarding those faces, even if you ignore the quick cameos of Shouichi's actor and the ones that were voice only, you've still got Wataru's, Kenzaki's and Kotaro's actors in their old roles, and an even bigger number of secondary characters.

Am I the only one who enjoyed what Gao-vs-SS did?

You know the way you talk about Decade? Gao vs SS is one of the few tokusatsu features I've watched that actually felt like an insult to me.

I wanted to see Sentai celebrating its history, not getting drown by it in waves of flashbacks. The Gaoranger didn't need to learn those pointless lessons and no one needed those flashbacks. All the Red warriors standing around in the final battle scene without lifting a finger because their "spirit" helped the -current- heroes, treating the older ones almost like ghosts, just sources of inspiration, rather than actual present heroes, just clinched it. That didn't feel like an anniversary.

In an anniversary, the one celebrated is there, present, commemorating another year. Gao vs SS was more like a memorial, making people remember bygone times.

In Gao vs SS, when the Gaorangers are defeated, 5 older Super Sentai members appear to inspire them and leave afterwards, acting almost like they weren't part of the world, just meant to inspire rather than act.

In All Riders, when Decade and Diend are surrounded by an army of monsters, the previous Riders actually march forward to fight, and only leave after Dai Shocker is reduced to dust in that world.

It never seemed to me that you thought that. You always appeared to be the type that thought what Decade did was fantastic.

I liked Decade's overall set up. I enjoyed most AUs. I wasn't disappointed by Decade's overall plotline, unlike others, even after movie wars (which I thought was a fitting conclusion, considering the set up done throughout the series, even if it was nothing like the initially advertised movie)... So, my overall impressions of the series are positive. However, that doesn't mean I liked everything it did.

The Rider tournament in All Riders was stupid, Super Shocker (and Movie Wars' final battle in general) was really underwhelming, and, like I've said, I think they could have featured more previous leads, even with the current set up and considering casting limitations.

Kenzaki was featured as this big antagonist in the final 2 episodes but basically only did some generic grunts and yelled Tsukasa's name during Blade's battle in Movie Wars, that was just disappointing. The same for Wataru's group in general just disappearing after his plan was done. Yuusuke's misuse at times was pretty bad too.

Just because usually I defend the series, it doesn't mean I liked everything it did and have no criticisms regarding it.

Last edited:
Eye See You

Kuuga was lucky to get the tv time he did in Decade, why people ***** about it is beyond me considering it wasn't HIS series and he wasn't the main character to begin with and considering the series was short. He went on with the others for the adventure in the other worlds and I'm fine with that. Kuuga no Seikai was also a great 2 parter aswell. I don't think the character himself needed to do anymore in the series.

Then...... why did they keep him around? Why did they make him into a completely useless idiot? If Onodera's story was done with the end of Kuuga's World, then he should have been left behind.

Lurker
He was the sole buttmonkey of the show. For someone potraited as an alternative version of Kuuga, I don't want to see that person be a buttmonkey.