Eye See You
Or they riot against Frank Miller or Alan Moore.

BTW, when it comes of being the best Heisei KR storyline, it's not Decade.

Can you imagine how they'd feel if they were fans of That '70s Show and had to deal with Forman's sister's actress being replaced mid-series...

I don't know much about Hibiki's cast, but, as far as Den-O goes, they brought back two kids, a girl who has been working in toku for years and an older actor. They couldn't even bring Yuuto's actor for more than a cameo in Den-O's own movie. Even in these new 3 Chou Den-O movies, Yuuto apparently just appears in his own movie and is completely absent afterwards. It's pretty obvious that it IS harder to bring younger active actors rather than lower profile ones. There are matters involving not only money, but also time allocation (because everything had to follow a very specific timing).

Couldn't or wouldn't? The Imajin VAs were clearly at their disposal. Do we know for a fact that Yuichi Nakamura was unavailable? Even if it was supposedly impossible to bring back Sato or Nakamura, the Chou Den-O movies could have easily been done another way. If Toei wasn't just obsessed with waving the bloody shirt that is the Taros, these movies could just as well be about new characters and side stories, maybe something like Ultraman does often. There are always a way. But Toei is clearly bereft of ideas.

I remember your idea... but, really, how would that fix any of the complaints? You'd still get people complaining about how ridiculous it is an anniversary without the actual Riders. Rather than complain about the AU counterparts, people would just complain about Tsukasa being a bad replacement and Toei wanting to make people believe that he'd better than everyone else together.

That's why I said that if you couldn't get the alumni for the show itself (and is it really so hard to bring back actors for only one or two episodes?) there is always the movie. You could have the show feature Tsukasa traveling the worlds, acting as the Rider of that world (Wouldn't that be a better endorsement of the Ganbaride game anyway? I thought Toei and Bandai love product placement, a Rider who is essentially RP-ing as other Riders would have been perfect), trying to fix things, and then in the movie team-up with the real nine Riders to fight the boss villain.

It'd also make almost every character found in those worlds just minor supporting material, rather than actual active protagonists of the stories.

How? All you'd have to do is replace the AU Riders' roles in those stories with Tsukasa. Actually, I wonder if they couldn't just bring back one or two supporting characters from the previous shows into each World as they did Hibiki and Den-O. I could easily imagine Tsukasa trying to fill Shinji's shoes in stopping Kanzaki Shiro's Game only to be rebuffed by Ren.

On the other hand though, that would probably mean no Hiroko Sato. What a conundrum >>

Again...

Was it NOT explained in Decade why the Riders were played by different actors/characters... The worlds colliding/combining was changing everything around. I still don't get why people don't accept this.

So because Toei gives an explanation we're supposed to just take it? "Oh Toei gave a lame explanation, so I guess I can't be ticked that they didn't bother to get back the nine star alumni. Heck I have no right to be annoyed about anything, because I'm not a Japanese rugrat. Of course they're never annoyed about anything either, as long as they get a bunch of shiny toys >>

Here's my question: would it be acceptable to fans if Toei brought back as many of the original actors as possible, and just replaced the ones that couldn't reprise their roles, due to scheduling conflicts or whatever other issues may arise? After all, as hard as they try, if an actor can't return due to scheduling conflicts that are insurmountable, there's really nothing Toei can do. What would be a proper way to get around this? Would it be okay to just pretend that they are the original canonical Rider, even if they are a replacement actor? Should they use AUs for the actors that can't make it and the original universes for the rest? Just do entirely AUs as the series does, but with the original actors? Or just ignore the series that the actors from which couldn't return? Would any of these be an acceptable alternative?

I just think that it's a bit unreasonable to expect all 9 of the original actors to return to the show, regardless of Toei's efforts or lack thereof. Satoh's career has exploded since Den-O, so I don't really blame him for possibly wanting to work on more prestigious projects than Kamen Rider, and I wouldn't blame Hosokawa for not wanting to work with Toei anymore after the Hibiki fiasco.

Don't forget that Joe Odagiri hated playing Godai, so I very much doubt he would come back.

Super Moderator
Don't forget that Joe Odagiri hated playing Godai,

Goddamn it would be nice if for once a discussion of Kuuga could go by without this coming up.

No, he did not. While he was hesitant to take the part, he was completely on board with the project once he talked with the director about the kind of show it was going to be.

Don't forget that Joe Odagiri hated playing Godai, so I very much doubt he would come back.

I really want a source for this. His performance did not seem like a man who was not enjoying what he was doing. Admittedly, if he's that good of an actor, I suppose he could hide it, but his enthusiasm seemed quite genuine. Now, if he has no interest in reprising his role, that I can understand, but again, I really have trouble believing he was miserable during the filming of Kuuga.

Edit: Thanks Matt. It's pretty easy to tell when an actor doesn't like the role he's playing. Seriously, just watch Hosokawa after episode 29 of Hibiki. The guy obviously just wants to get the whole mess over with by that point.

Peek a Boo!
He was great until he was butchered by other writers.

His best performance as a character was in episode 2 and 3 where he almost breaks down and then he finally accepts Yashiro's wish to protect everyone's smiles..

This. :buttrock:

All I wish is that there would be a spin-off series about Onodera meeting Godai and at the end, both will transform simultaneously and does a Double Rider Kick to any random enemy. If only...

Goddamn it would be nice if for once a discussion of Kuuga could go by without this coming up.

No, he did not. While he was hesitant to take the part, he was completely on board with the project once he talked with the director about the kind of show it was going to be.

I just assumed it was true because people have been saying it for years. my mistake. :thumbs:

Super Moderator
I just assumed it was true because people have been saying it for years. my mistake. :thumbs:

It's just one of those things that rears it's ugly head each and every single freakin time anybody ever tries to talk about Kuuga on this board and while there is some controversy about comments he made, it's gotten really tedious and blown out of proportion. Not that any of that is your fault, I'm just saying.

You are very likely correct in that he would not have come back though. But I think that's more because he and his career have just moved on rather than a contempt for ever having been Kuuga at all.

I'm not even saying the guy is incapable of being pretentious and he's probably not big on toku but from what I have seen he did genuinely enjoy having been part of that show because it was something very different from what he had expected.