Did Power Rangers go off the rails after they started swapping casts?

Lurker
funny most super sentai fans are like PR S@#KS, F!@k PR and my personal favorite, Sentai much better then PR. LOL

Lurker
I didn't mind the cast change, I wasn't so fixed on the original cast or Zordon storyline and was fine seeing other places and characters to learn about. I didn't mind different seasons the same as for SS or KR, many other franchises work this way.

People are moronic in nostalgically loving the first cast so much: they were the first but were mostly bland, perfect, and boring due to the experimental writing at the time. People loving MMPR like that are the equivalent of Transformers GEEWUNers.

The whole Zordon era had a original concept but was an experiment, wondering how to handle changing themes and cast. It would be hard to keep that up for 17 seasons. Better to have separate seasons than trying to keep it fresh yet still going by a story that was told years ago.

now Nerd Emperor
I like the cast changes... I wasn't exactly crazy over the original MMPR cast like some people seem to be. I didn't think the original was necessarily the best. Heck, MMPR is far from my favorite PR series.

I really liked the Space, Lost Galaxy, and Time Force casts.

With regard to where PR went "off the rails", I think that happened when Disney took over. =_=
It just wasn't the same anymore to me starting with Ninja Storm... great comeback for RPM though. And a shame it ended there... :(

Bandito Shake Cometh
funny most super sentai fans are like PR S@#KS, F!@k PR and my personal favorite, Sentai much better then PR. LOL

Well, Power Rangers is pretty childish. When you take out the dance routines, random musicals, over the top melodramatic death scenes, and high larious blows to the groin it's just not as super deep and serious as Sentai.

Zodasaur
PR didn't derail when they started yearly cast changes with Lost Galaxy. It was Derailed with Turbo. No one I have ever met has had the stomach to sit threw turbo. I couldn't back in 1997, my wife who loves power rangers made us skip ahead to In Space. Also, sometimes i'll watch old episodes with the friends I grew up with for nostalgia and i'd never dare put on turbo, no one likes it except super tiny kids that like the justin concept. And for the little ones they'd probably like Beetleborgs more anyways.

In Justice, We Trust!
I believe Judd has intentions of turning the Lost Galaxy cast into the Lightspeed rangers IIRC. And I enjoyed the changing of casts, give it a fresh look every year.

Yes, it would've gotten dull if we saw Tommy or Jason for every season up to this point.

Bandito Shake Cometh
Turbo as a whole isn't great, and has a lot of 'desperate moves' to try and keep the audience. But there's a ton of great stand alones, and arguably one of the best finales. Once things started to come together in the second half I think it was quite enjoyable, actually.
It didn't derail the show, though. It was the set up for the pinnacle of the Zordon-era, or whatever you wanna call it.

Lynxara has it spot on. You would've outgrown it within 5-7 years anyways, they just gave you what you felt was a good jumping off point. Had PR been totally American, it would've dropped off for awhile and returned.

Ninja Turtles or Transformers should give you an idea of what it would look like.

Ninja Turtles
Show #1 (1987-1996)
Movie #1 (1990)
TMNT 2: Secret of the Ooze (1991)
TMNT 3: In Time (1993)
Next Mutation (1997-1998)
Show #2 (2003-2009)
CGI Movie (2007)

Transformers
Show #1 (1984-1987)
Movie #1 (1986)
Beast Wars (1996-1999)
Beast Machines (1999-2000)
Robots In Disguise (2001-2002)
Armada (2002-2003)
Energon (2004-2005)
Cybertron (2005-2006)
Animated (2007-2009)

You can do the same with GI Joe or something, but you get the idea. Big gulfs in running, with different styles and theme between shows. Power Rangers on the other hand remained comparatively the same through each iteration.

People are moronic in nostalgically loving the first cast so much: they were the first but were mostly bland, perfect, and boring due to the experimental writing at the time. People loving MMPR like that are the equivalent of Transformers GEEWUNers.

First of all...aren't they in your avatar?

Second of all...hold it. To this day, no animated series has matched up to G1's designs. (Your show is about ROBOTS transforming into VEHICLES. AESTHETICS ARE VITAL.) That's part of why people love G1 so much. (Definitely why I love it.) I'm certainly aware the plots were pretty dull.

Lynxara has it spot on. You would've outgrown it within 5-7 years anyways, they just gave you what you felt was a good jumping off point. Had PR been totally American, it would've dropped off for awhile and returned.

I don't know man. Soap operas have gone on for years with the same fans.

So modern PR hasn't changed all that much, while its competition has turned into high-quality stuff like Ben 10, Batman: BatB, Spectacular Spider-Man, Iron Man: Armored Adventures, various shounen anime, etc. These are all really great shows tailor-made to set a kid's brain on fire with excitement.

...Really, Lynxara? The rest of your list is great, but I'm curious as to how Armored Adventures found its way in. I find it tripe, but I can't tell whether that's because its tripe or because I find the concept insulting.

And I think a couple of people are misconstruing my argument. I'm not talking about that one cast change after iS, I'm talking about the annual cast change and the complete loss of continuity. The idea that, no matter what, they dumped the team.