Did Adness abandon Kamen Rider?

SamuraiEchidna

I still don't like American adaptions, but even I can understand why a show would fail. However, lack of advertising is only half the game. The other half is good scheduling. Kids hate going to school, kids hate waking up early in the mornings, kids hate having to schedule their favorite shows and set their recorders/TiVo/DVR/Etc. If you want kids and others to watch this show, you gotta set it from the afternoon or evening when everyone is getting home from their regular routine. Isn't that what Power Rangers Samurai is doing right now?

And yes, if Kamen Rider is to be successful, it should also be on CN or Nick, where it will have more room for creative freedom.

I still don't like American adaptions, but even I can understand why a show would fail. However, lack of advertising is only half the game. The other half is good scheduling. Kids hate going to school, kids hate waking up early in the mornings, kids hate having to schedule their favorite shows and set their recorders/TiVo/DVR/Etc. If you want kids and others to watch this show, you gotta set it from the afternoon or evening when everyone is getting home from their regular routine. Isn't that what Power Rangers Samurai is doing right now?

And yes, if Kamen Rider is to be successful, it should also be on CN or Nick, where it will have more room for creative freedom.

This I can mostly agree on. Having Kamen Rider on 4kids is a big mistake to begin with! My worst fear was being realized that they were going to cancelled this show from the beginning. Oh, boy, I was right!

That's why Kamen Rider should have been on CN from the beginning, period. End of discussion.

Kamen Rider would have a decent ratings like Power Rangers Samurai's doing right now.

SamuraiEchidna

I mention creative freedom because Nick and CN will allow more things to pass by the censors than 4Kids will. Blue Popo, anyone?

Wheatley

DON'T PUSH THAT BUTTON!
The biggest thing that killed Dragon Knight's chances of succeeding was the toyline, and that is the main ingredient when you want a kids show to succeed. As a fan, I thought the 4" figures were nice little collectibles, but if you look at a regular consumer who wants the best toys and well worth the money, the Dragon Knight toyline was not a good place to look. I liked some of the toys they released, but there were much better toys out there for kids to enjoy.

If you had a son and wanted to buy him for Christmas a fun and expensive toy, would you buy him a Dragon Knight toy?

That's what I mean.

Not to mention the time it was released. Bandai quietly released them in May/June 2009, FIVE MONTHS after the show's premiere. They should've released the toys BEFORE the show premiered, not after, specifically Black Friday 2008 or a couple of weeks before Christmas. That would've been PERFECT timing.

On top of all that, Bandai only aired ONE commercial for it and it only aired ONCE.....IN THE MIDDLE OF AUGUST!

Plus the Wii and DS games were released in November of 2009, a month before the show's cancellation. And the Wii version used the Climax Heroes engine and had only minor differences, so I wonder why they didn't release it a little earlier. Then again, I don't like rushed out games, so I really can't complain much there.

Does Adness even still exist anymore?

http://www.adness.com/ja/

Last edited:

SamuraiEchidna

Wasn't there also plans to release a Dragon Knight movie in theaters? That probably would have helped make the show more successful.

Vitor

When The Fruit Of Life Corrupts Men
Since you never heard the Cartoon Network thing, because I visited website four years ago and found the logo of Cartoon Network stamped on Kamen Rider.

Maybe I thought Cartoon Network had picked it up, but I was wrong. Instead, 4kids picked it up.....:redface2:

That was in the Phillipines, not America

The bastards were also fortunate enough to get Kamen Rider dubbed into English (which further stumps the **** out of me as to why it wasn't brought here)

Honestly I think we'll be damned lucky if we ever see another Kamen Rider adaptation here, or another toku adaptation period

Medivh

I'm not sure that Adness or anyone really, gave up on Kamen Rider. I think it's more that they don't know how to handle it.

This isn't the 80s or 90s anymore. We've got more to worry about and deal with than what's on the TV. PR came in at the right time. We had a lull in entertainment and PR filled it nicely with good morals to keep the parents happy, and just a smidge of controversy to keep the kids giddy that they might be doing something that mom and dad would disapprove of. Not to mention it was simple, over the top, and action-packed.

Like I said, this isn't the 80s and 90s anymore. Kids today see through the hokey suits and gimmicks. They know it's not real and they laugh at it. Using the same gimmicks from before isn't going to work, and apparently it didn't work.

Honestly? I think they could have left Ryuki's story alone for the most part, and still americanized it. I think kids might have taken to it alot better. Oh sure, don't kill anyone or anything. But leaving in the 'every man for himself' element might have worked better and been something kids today can understand I think. The only problem would have been that likely there would have been alot of Ohja fans out there.

Yeah...I don't think Adness is done with Kamen Rider. I just think it's alot like video game movie adaptations. They're just trying to find that one person who can show them how to adapt it the right way. Plus, you know, no loot. Kinda makes producing even a pilot tough.

Wheatley

DON'T PUSH THAT BUTTON!
Like I said, this isn't the 80s and 90s anymore. Kids today see through the hokey suits and gimmicks. They know it's not real and they laugh at it. Using the same gimmicks from before isn't going to work, and apparently it didn't work.

If that's the case, they might as well go the animated route. And I mean hand-drawn, not CG.

Darkster

It's over 8,000!
I remember a while back Steve Wang or someone said that Adness was trying to fund another Kamen Rider adaptation. Whatever happened to that? While I'll admit Dragon Knight had a lot of problems, I did however enjoy it. With better promotion I think it could have done a lot better.

Has anyone heard anything? I know it's probably a longshot but I figured I'd post something since I know Keith is in contact with a lot of those guys.

They're thinking of making another adaptation when everything falls into place. That is, if there is less work to do and a good amount of profit, they will go for it. They just aren't chasing anything else right now.

They're still backing Dragon Knight, but it finished in all countries in which it aired, so there's not much to do with it anymore.

Does Adness even still exist anymore?

:eyebrow:

Wheatley

DON'T PUSH THAT BUTTON!
What really pisses me off about all this the most is that we ain't even getting an American DVD release. Sure you have the international DVD boxsets, but no way in hell am I gonna pay $300 for the first 20 episodes and then $300 more for the next 20. Add shipping and handling and that would bring a grand total over $700. I've seen computers and HDTVs that cost cheaper than that. Us American fans deserve better than this. We heavily supported the show and this is what we get? Not every American Kamen Rider fan is rich ya know! :mad:

On top of all that, you need a Region Free DVD Player or some kind of DVD Player that plays DVDs outside your region, which means you gotta shell out even MORE money unless you have one already.

Plus we don't even know how long the episodes will be on the 4Kids website, especially since they're about to go down under and being put up for sale. If that's gone, what is the best way for American fans to legally watch the series again?

And I hate watching the crappy encodes on YouTube with the CW4Kids watermark. Not only are the episodes cropped, but the picture quality doesn't even look good. Apparently, no one has ripped episodes directly from the DVDs. It would be much better to watch the episodes on DVD on an HDTV.

Plus if we got DVDs, we could've gotten extras like behind the scenes, bloopers, deleted scenes, etc.

Last edited:

Vitor

When The Fruit Of Life Corrupts Men
Plus we don't even know how long the episodes will be on the 4Kids website, especially since they're about to go down under and being put up for sale. If that's gone, what is the best way for American fans to legally watch the series again?

And I hate watching the crappy encodes on YouTube with the CW4Kids watermark. Not only are the episodes cropped, but the picture quality doesn't even look good. Apparently, no one has ripped episodes directly from the DVDs. It would be much better to watch the episodes on DVD on an HDTV.

You're Welcome

ForeverRed

has left HJU. Not coming back.
What really pisses me off about all this the most is that we ain't even getting an American DVD release. Sure you have the international DVD boxsets, but no way in hell am I gonna pay $300 for the first 20 episodes and then $300 more for the next 20. Add shipping and handling and that would bring a grand total over $700. I've seen computers and HDTVs that cost cheaper than that. Us American fans deserve better than this. We heavily supported the show and this is what we get? Not every American Kamen Rider fan is rich ya know! :mad:

On top of all that, you need a Region Free DVD Player or some kind of DVD Player that plays DVDs outside your region, which means you gotta shell out even MORE money unless you have one already.

Plus if we got DVDs, we could've gotten extras like behind the scenes, bloopers, deleted scenes, etc.

kaneklapqo6.gif

Exactly how I feel about this.

kaneklapqo6.gif

Exactly how I feel about this.

I feel the same!

Dark Kabuto

In Justice, We Trust!

Well, if it's any consolation, I did see a Chinese Kamen Rider Dragon Knight DVD Set that had an english language option and subtitles...better then nothing right?

Bigdog

They're thinking of making another adaptation when everything falls into place. That is, if there is less work to do and a good amount of profit, they will go for it. They just aren't chasing anything else right now.

They're still backing Dragon Knight, but it finished in all countries in which it aired, so there's not much to do with it anymore.

:eyebrow:

Why don't they just dub the series and bring it here raw? Screw the extra production costs of hiring American actors and worrying about the hassle of Japanese vs American footage when you can just air it as is.

I can understand them wanting to localize the series and all ,but to put it in another way , globalization is making so societies are becoming less and less homogenized and that goes with the media. Like it or not, the media is embracing other forms to storytelling and art style to try and keep up with the demand of the international audience as well as domestic. Without that ,foreign media would be a boon and have less a of foothold than it does now.

I'm sure it wouldn't kill TV execs to have more diversity in their programming, would it? It sure didn't hurt them when Ultraman or Spectreman was making the waves in the US so how's it different now? Why do they have to suddenly have to put American actors and rainbow-wash an already existing foreign property and waste all the money filming new footage when it's so easy to just dub the dang series and localize it through slight editing.

If you really want to adapt the series , put the best foot forward and use all the resources at your disposal to make it your own , keeping tidbits of story and concepts you'd think would make the series stand out . Then , make sure to go to the best channel and if there's merchandise to clamp down on the quality of it to make it on par or better than the competition.

My preference for the next series would be a Faiz/Double duology for their techno themes. Then you can easily make Double the upgrade series.

Blade/Kiva adaptation would be amazing. Just take the riders from both series and place them in the same world . IXA could have a few of the Blade Riders a part of his posse while others can be with Kiva or be evil . Mainly for the fact they both have similar aesthetics and theme, disregarding the cards as they're both mystical.

Now on Kickstarter

Latest News

Who's on Discord?

Latest posts