I too am a big fan of Dexter but i found that I enjoyed it more because i didn't watch regularly. I had to download some episodes after missing the telecast due to work or some other reason. The effect was that I anticipated even more and the predictability was lessened somewhat. Over all it was a great experience.

Exactly. Since season 8 began I haven't been watching it. I lasted 9 weeks in, hence there were nine episodes, and I bega watching them a few days ago. I am now on episode seven, and I am reluctant to watch because with a show like that it is just a lot better to let the episodes build up and then watch them all at once. There is no annoying waiting from week to week for the next installment to air so that you can download it lol.

I have heard that breaking Bad is somewhat as good as Dexter. I read the shows's summary and it didn't sound all hat appealing to me. Dexter's summary instantly appealed to me though because of the whole sociopath thing, and I am a fanatic for psychology and things like that.

I love Dexter. Maybe that's why I haven't started the last season yet; I don't want it to end! lol. It's just sitting there, collecting virtual dust, waiting for me to find the time and interest. I mean, I have the interest, but I've been extremely distracted away from shows these days. Anyway, yes, a huge fan. I won't read the other comments in case of a spoiler though.. maybe I shouldn't have resurrected this thread lol

Lol! I have actually watched the last season now. Have you watched it yet, Josie? There is so much that I want to say, but I won't because I don't want to spoil it for you. Also, I know what you mean. It is strange when you KNOW that a show is brilliant, yet a lot of the time you just can't find it within yourself to give energy to it. I have always found that strange. I got to discuss the last season of Dexter with some friends who also watch it. That was like therapy for me, because it was the last ever season. I am still hoping that they do some kind of movie.

Either way, when you finally do watch the final season, enjoy it ;)

I will! No, I haven't watched it yet. So much has been going on here, I just haven't had the time or energy, but I will have to get on it soon. Actually.. maybe I'll wait till after Christmas.. the only time we spend on 'tv time" right now is for christmas movies. One, maaaaybe two and then I'm out lol. I'm the life of the party these days, watch out :p

I'm dying to know what happens.. but thanks for not saying anything. I'll let you know the minute I finish it!

I watched Dexter from start to finish and I really liked it for two reasons, 1. Dexter is a killer but you can't help rooting for him. 2. You never know what will happen next. I found that the show had enough plot twists to keep you coming back for more. Right up to the series finale, you just keep guessing what's going to happen next because nothing is as it seems.

I absolutely loved the first six seasons of Dexter! I genuinely felt that it was one of the most intelligently written, expertly directed, and brilliantly acted series on TV! I found those initial seasons to be truly stimulating and engaging on suspenseful and even quasi-intellectual levels! Some like to say the Seasons Five and Six weren't as good as the first four seasons, but I think that they hold up as comparable.

The final two seasons were captained by a new show-runner behind the scenes, and well... the wheels kind of fell off the Dexter bus! I started to feel as if I was watching a soap opera, and moreover felt that many of the b-plots were truly superfluous and many of the new characters were uninspired! In particular, I felt that the final season went out of its way to set up truly contrived cliff-hangers and twists that were almost immediately resolved! The last episode was especially disappointing, and the very final scene of Dexter actually brought to mind a famous Monty Python sketch! A sad end indeed to what was once a truly phenomenal series! Prior to that final episode, I honestly felt that only story arcs that made the final season worth continuing were those that were centred upon Deborah's struggles following the Season Six finale--those arcs unto themselves managed to maintain the series' excellence!

Despite my qualms about how Dexter ended, I still fully and whole-heartedly recommend the series! Those first six seasons are some of the best suspenseful dramatic television ever aired, and the final two seasons are worth watching at least once to see how it all did indeed end! (Like many others, I'm one of those people who can't stop reading a book or watching a movie until it is finished!)

Last edited:
I am on the same page with nearly everyone one else regarding that weird ending. I finished watching Dexter about a month ago and it is really incomparable. There were intense moment and dull ones, but I really enjoyed the series. In my opinion, some of the actors did not fit their profile they way I would have liked. The first few seasons there were short instances where things were just too predictable, but I was able to see past that and stay for the ride. The ending was difficult to accept, but really, no one expected a happy ending. I instantly thought I was going to see Hugh Jackman during the last few seconds... that was most disappointing.

The first three seasons were really good but it kind of jumped the shark and went downhill after that in my opinion. If you are a fan of Michael C. Hall I would definitely recommend you check out Six Feet Under on HBO. He plays a gay mortician.