Welcome
I'm not afraid to say this. You can tell me that I never should have posted here if I only have negative things to say, you can tell me to get out, I don't care. The truth is...
I HATE Death Note!
Absolutely hate the series. I honestly didn't care if I missed it or not. And I won't be picking up the manga ever. And I'll tell you why...

I am glad you used the keyword COMPLETELY there. Some say he went inside in the later half, but I say he was ALWAYS insane. To clarify, the minute he embraced a life with the Death Note and started calling himself god and started believing he could create a perfect world, he was definitely insane. So in other words, he didn't
*go insane* by the second half, he reached the HEIGHT of insanity by that point. Some call this anime one of the most original creations of its time, but I say it's just the anime version of a young school kid's lament from not being popular, being bullied, and so fourth. We all have moments of frustration where we just want to kill someone, but we're not suppose to act on it or genuinely believe it would make the world better.

To me, Death Note follows the villian's tail. Yes, Light is a villain, don't fool yourself into thinking otherwise. L was more of the personification of justice that Light could ever hope to be. Creating a world where you kill people for wrong doings? That's not a perfect world! That's a world where people are afraid to act out in the slightest because *Kira might kill them*! I'm sorry, but blood for blood is not justice. It's not. So when Light died the way he did, I did not feel sorry for him. In fact, I saw it coming. I've seen it based on history and other stories of people like him. I didn't pity him when it happened, either. For every person he killed so coldly, he deserved what he had coming. I'm not wishing death on him, as I would never sincerely wish death on anyone, but I knew he would have to face the things he's done. Our world might not be perfect, but his idea of utopia was a joke.

Funny thing is, I actually saw the movies. The one thing I liked about them was that L saw through Light and brought him down instead of being outwitted and killed. That's the only thing I liked about the Death Note movies and Death Note in general. I might actually like L: Change The World if I ever get the chance to see it.

...Sorry to rant so much there. This anime just gets under my skin that much. :shakefist

Light was actually popular with the school.Everyone loved him.He had the perfect family.He had good looks, smarts, and he was athletic.
I knew that something extremely horrible would happen to Light as well.

Light was actually popular with the school.Everyone loved him.He had the perfect family.He had good looks, smarts, and he was athletic.

Right. I never said he wasn't. In fact, if you think about it, someone that well off with that many positive influences should have no reason to walk to path of darkness like he did. Hardly makes that much sense to me.
This is also why I liked Code Geass a LOT more. Sure, Lelouch was going down the dark path of killing and destruction. But the damage had all ready been done. Britannia had all ready taken over and had oppressed the Japanese to below humane standards. Lelouch was just trying to set things right the only way he knew would work. In the same hand, I appreciated Suzaku and the back and fourth they had. He was like the L of the series. He didn't want to bring justice and positive change at the expensive of lives. But in that universe, it was clear nothing good was going to happen unless some thing big like a rebellion was to occur.

Welcome
Light did make two fatal mistakes.
His first mistake was the whole Kira thing.He announced it before he was finished with his work.
His other mistake was not killing in different ways.I know this got Kira some media attention but if he killed in many ways, it would've been less obvious.

The new Tendou Souji
And I won't be picking up the manga ever.

The only reason I'd suggest the manga is it adds a lot more to the 2nd arc (rather than just have it go "Oh Near figured it just because...") also, the ending is different than what the anime had.

The only reason I'd suggest the manga is it adds a lot more to the 2nd arc (rather than just have it go "Oh Near figured it just because...") also, the ending is different than what the anime had.

Thanks, I am sure it is better written, but I just don't like stories that follow the villain's tale. I'm a hero supporter.

Light did make two fatal mistakes.
His first mistake was the whole Kira thing.He announced it before he was finished with his work.
His other mistake was not killing in different ways.I know this got Kira some media attention but if he killed in many ways, it would've been less obvious.

Well, if you ask me, Light's mistake was not trying to get rid of the Death Note the minute he learned what it was for and that it's powers are real. But that's just me.

Lurker
Well, if you ask me, Light's mistake was not trying to get rid of the Death Note the minute he learned what it was for and that it's powers are real. But that's just me.
But the manga would only be a few chapters then ;P.

It's pretty funny how your rant could just as well be written by someone who loves the series. I like the series and mostly agree with what you're saying. Just because you like the series doesn't mean you should agree with Light. I also think it's interesting to see a story from the villain's point of view.

So you'd have liked it more if it were from L's point of view?

I think overall many people, including myself, would have enjoyed it immensely if L had either stuck around or if we'd gotten more from him. In a way, Light was....boring. When he had the answer to everything, watching him outwit everyone was good for that little part of your soul that makes you root for the villain, but otherwise it was just forgettable. Aside from his built-in arrogance and inner, childish rage, he wasn't exactly a good character to me.

L, on the other hand, had personality dripping of him like he'd just been dunked in water. He's the oddball, he's the genius, some can argue that he's the modern-day Sherlock Holmes. (If nothing else, I've heard rumors the two characters share preferences in posture when sitting in chairs.) While saying less than Light or half the other characters in the series, L and Ryuk probably had the most personality.

Speaking of saying lots of things, I think that's what drove me insane about the series and still does. (thanks to this thread I started reading the series again just to be up to scratch.) The amount of monologue and simple babbling on and on and on and ON! Jeez! I understand you're weighing your options here but stop talking and DO something. At one point during my first read-through I was successfully able to skip many, many pages of dialogue and was still able to keep up with the plot. In alot of ways the series talked too much. It could have been a great comment on words as opposed to action, and L is a great primer for body-language reading, but sometimes I just wanted people to shut their bloody traps and DO something.

Now, I'm not saying someone should have Kamehameha'd Light into oblivion, (although that might have been entertaining in some primal way) and I understand what the series was meant to be about. I just honestly think we could have used less exposition and monologue and we would have gotten to the same end more enjoyably.

So you'd have liked it more if it were from L's point of view?

Or from the point of view of Near. Whoever outwits Light in the end and exposes him for who he is.

You know, it's not just that, either. There is so much more that could have been done. I might have liked Light if his character were more believable, as in a character who grew up with a terrible life and has more of a reason to do the things Light did, especially if he ended up growing as a person and realizing that maybe his idea of justice and a perfect world isn't as great as he thinks it is. Maybe, instead of becoming more and more insane, he grows to believe that there might be something more to the way L does things.

I know this takes away from the simplicity of what Death Note was trying to go for, but they could have introduced a Life Note that becomes like a yin/yang thing for the Death Note (I know, this idea has been made by fans millions of times, but my point remains). Maybe even realize that these notes are really tools to help in some kind of battle involving supernatural forces. Why not? They all ready introduced the idea of Shinigami's.

I am sure there is a billion and more ideas that could have changed things or mixed things up, but that's not what we got.

Super Kamen Sentai Rider
Or from the point of view of Near. Whoever outwits Light in the end and exposes him for who he is.

You know, it's not just that, either. There is so much more that could have been done. I might have liked Light if his character were more believable, as in a character who grew up with a terrible life and has more of a reason to do the things Light did, especially if he ended up growing as a person and realizing that maybe his idea of justice and a perfect world isn't as great as he thinks it is. Maybe, instead of becoming more and more insane, he grows to believe that there might be something more to the way L does things.

I know this takes away from the simplicity of what Death Note was trying to go for, but they could have introduced a Life Note that becomes like a yin/yang thing for the Death Note (I know, this idea has been made by fans millions of times, but my point remains). Maybe even realize that these notes are really tools to help in some kind of battle involving supernatural forces. Why not? They all ready introduced the idea of Shinigami's.

I am sure there is a billion and more ideas that could have changed things or mixed things up, but that's not what we got.

From all the stuff I read, it just seems like you don't like Light, or the premise of the series :laugh: What I mean by that is, it's okay to not like what they did, but when you instantly wanna be the writer and start changing things about it completely...I don't want to be a jerk and say "Keep it to fanfiction", but it's like if I said "I wish the Sentai series was different", it's like "Well, it wasn't, just stick to what you didn't like in the actual series itself..."

Sorry if I sound like a jerk, I'm tired :p

Also, I love Light for every reason you've brought up. He wasn't boring or anything, and the best part about him was that he was given everything and still went this path. He was completely believable. People do these things (unfortunately). They're called sociopaths. If Light didn't have a Death Note, he probably would have became someone like Mikami, or would have ended up killing puppies. The point is, there are people like him, and it's interesting to see that L seems to have come from a broken home, and he turned out like that, but Light has a great home life (from what it seems), and his sense of justice is so skewed.

The thing is dude...in real life...people don't change :disappoin I mean, there is a chance people can change, but I think the second some guy wants to use a notebook to kill all the criminals in the world to become God...he's isn't going to agree with some other guy's point of view :laugh:

I actually prefer the live action movies to the anime, probably because it's so much more straightforward. I just remember yawning through out the anime and I didn't even get to see the finale because it got taken off the net due to the license issue. oh and Toda Erika as Amane Misa was awesome because she isn't such an annoying ***** like the anime version!