Chief HJU News Editor
I'm more shocked a series that's called "Death of" of the title character actually dies.

I'm more shocked a series that's called "Death of" of the title character actually dies.

He'll be revived as Star Spiderman, with a Leopardon and glowing mane to show for it. Just you watch.

I haven't bought an American comic for some time, only sticking to manga and indie titles if i can. I don't see the point getting into a series where no consequences stick and everybody is happy. Just have them dead and stay dead, and make changes permanent. This is why you do not let fans write the comics. They ultimately suck in the end or become a worse fate than cancellation , a Zaido. If I want soaps I'll watch GH and AMC , not in my comics. Bring in new things, do scorsched earth , do anything to make the **** actually good and interesting. This is why I stick with the film versions of Marvel comics. They're easier to follow and only have one universe , one story to tell.

He'll be revived as Star Spiderman, with a Leopardon and glowing mane to show for it. Just you watch.

I haven't bought an American comic for some time, only sticking to manga and indie titles if i can. I don't see the point getting into a series where no consequences stick and everybody is happy. Just have them dead and stay dead, and make changes permanent. This is why you do not let fans write the comics. They ultimately suck in the end or become a worse fate than cancellation , a Zaido. If I want soaps I'll watch GH and AMC , not in my comics. Bring in new things, do scorsched earth , do anything to make the **** actually good and interesting. This is why I stick with the film versions of Marvel comics. They're easier to follow and only have one universe , one story to tell.

While I understand where you're coming from, and I also think this death of Spider-Man crap is rather absurd and more than likely just yet another ploy for attention when they've got a loyal fanbase already, I'm....not sure the way you see it is entirely the case.

Sure, admittedly fans will do some mucking about. I'm pretty sure Blackest Night and Brightest Day were just basically Johns paying one big freaking homage to Alan Moore. And yeah, it can be a bad thing to have these guys going back and forth and whatnot, but....

thinking about it from a different perspective, I'd be willing to bet that the reason at least some of the characters don't stay dead is because of fans. Sure, some of us are mature enough or otherwise willing to accept that someone is dead and is going to stay that way at least for a long while. Other fans just can't stand the concept. I'd be willing to bet that even now there's half a dozen online petitions to bring back Johnny Storm. Or to revive a certain other character and make HIM Batman. You could probably pick any really big change in the storylines of the industry right now and find groups of fans trying to fight tooth and nail to either make it or break it. Hell, just for the Death of Spider-Man business here, I'd imagine SOMEONE'S inbox must be very full of angry e-mails and demands to stop this madness or THEY WON'T BUY MARVEL ANYMORE! Gasp! Shock and Horror!

All the rage is likely very annoying. Anyone who's played WoW or poked around the official forums or knows the community at large can tell you just how much a given community of fans can *****, whine, moan, and complain about something that...really isn't all that much of a big deal. I suspect comic fans are no different. Like many, they want big, dramatic, interesting changes. But it can't POSSIBLY affect their beloved continuity! What if all that they know and love were to disappear!?!?! More shock and horror! and rage. Don't forget the rage.

If you were an editor, what would make your migrane less? Making those big, drastic changes stick, thus pissing off your fanbase and making even LESS people read hard-copy comics? Or reversing it after a bit with another big-news event, thus generating more interest and money with added nostalgia value, and pleasing the fans who are ultimately having their cake and eating it too?

Yeah...sure in the beginning most of us would take the high road and make it stick. But I'd be willing to bet that after a few months of constant whining, bitching, complaining, and raging, most of us would just give in. It's just not worth the hassle and the possible loss of one's job because one has done so well at alienating the few readers that the company already has. Yeah, the writers and the company itself has a hand in this stuff, but I really do think some blame can go to the ever-changing whims of the fans and readers.

Heh. apparently Green Goblin did it. and Bendis had tears in his eyes when he wrote the thing. Or at least he admitted those things to the media. Dunno the specifics of it, though.

So how did he die? Just wondering.
[HIDE]In Ultimate Avengers vs New Ultimates Spidey took a bullet meant to cripple Captain America in the gut. Then he was almost crushed by the bridge getting caught up in the ensuing battle. Despite Captain America saying he'd get him medical attention immediately they left him for dead(wtf). The most hilarious part is the Punisher felt so bad about hitting Spidey.
Anyways after surviving all that he made his way to Aunt May's house where Iceman and the Human Torch fought against the Sinster 5(Doc Ock was killed for refusing to attack Peter). By the time he got there they were both beaten because their powers weren't working too well against the Sinster 5. Spidey came in threw the vulture against something knocking him out. Then he broke a hydrant and diverted the water to Electro shocking the remaining 3 that were standing.(Human Torch managed to knock out Hulk Goblin) Of course this didn't knock them out so they had a big fight sequence where Peter was one the ropes till Aunt May came and shot Electro in the chest causing him to shock everyone on the Sinister 5's side again and finally knocking them all out. All the onlookers in the neighborhood took pictures of the fight and saw Peter Unmasked through the whole thing. They already called for help because he was wounded
In the last issue the Goblin is awakened and attacks Peter and Aunt May. So Peter fights against him. He tries to waken the Torch but forgot the Goblin is immune to fire and Johnny's Flame only Super Charges him. Spidey is attacked by Torch Powered Goblin till Peter uses the hydrant's water again to lower the Goblin's Flame powers. Then MJ saves him by ramming a truck(Bendis says it was a van but thats not what was drawn) into the Goblin. He pulls MJ out of the wreckage kisses her then throws her to saftey using his webs as the Goblin gets back up. Peter then picks up the truck and slams it against the Goblin's head a few times pummeling him to the ground with it. The truck explodes and Peter is blown back but he managed to finally take down the Goblin.
Peter then lies on the floor unable to get up. Aunt May and everyone else gathers around him and the spoiled pages happen where Peter sub cums to his wounds and dies in Aunt May's arms. Then we get a close up of the Goblin smiling as he lays in the wreckage possibly dead but he's already survived worse in human form.
[/HIDE]
I think I'm more mad the reason he died was because he got involved in the crossover thing that was going on. But I have to admit the page he came in to save the day were pretty cool:
[HIDE]
usm158032.jpg

usm158033.jpg

[/HIDE]