I gotta admit this is....a big change. Part of me didn't expect such a thing to happen, but thinking about all the recent love Superheroes have gotten, now WOULD be an ideal time to restart while the trend is still lukewarm. I don't know what the lineup for Superhero movies is beyond everything that's coming out in the next few months. (Captain America, GL, etc.) But if there's a lull after that, then I suppose you could construct that the time is ripe for a shot at getting new readers. Give people a chance to get into the characters and things that they've known about for so long.

You know...the more I think about this, the more I think it might just be a good thing. While Blackest Night and everything since has been interesting, the War of the Green Lanterns was just taking it a bit far for me. I could see looking for and containing the entities like Ion, Butcher, Ophidian, etc. I could see Batman stepping down to help fund and support Dick and Damian and the rest of the family.

But after those initial changes, in my gut it feels like things have gone too far. Gotten too absurd or complex to be anywhere near the state of perfect simplicity that I feel is best to get real, long-term mileage out of a story.

I do somewhat resent having all this continuity, in reality my first bit of long-term continuity, seemingly undone. But I understand where it has to be done. So I'm definitely gonna give this a go when it starts. Hopefully I'll even get some friends reading, although that's unlikely.

Okay here some quick tidbits from the USA Today article. The Justice League will have an additional 7 members bringing the total to 14. Also it seems not all the 52 titles will be superhero books, mention was made of having a more diverse line-up including the return war, westerns, mystery, and horror comics.

All in all I am liking this more than not, it is still early but I am looking forward to September.

A simple passerby...
Wait, what!? What are they doing!? Are they creating an Ultimate universe for DC comics, or are they freakin rewriting everything that's happened for the last 70 years or so!? Cause I'm not happy with any of this at all. I liked Jason Todd, I liked a lot of stuff and I think this is bullshit that they're even changing Superman's costume, even if it does look good, he's an iconic character. Hell, even Spider-Man changes costume, but he always changes back. What are they doing!?

I gotta admit this is....a big change. Part of me didn't expect such a thing to happen, but thinking about all the recent love Superheroes have gotten, now WOULD be an ideal time to restart while the trend is still lukewarm. I don't know what the lineup for Superhero movies is beyond everything that's coming out in the next few months. (Captain America, GL, etc.) But if there's a lull after that, then I suppose you could construct that the time is ripe for a shot at getting new readers. Give people a chance to get into the characters and things that they've known about for so long.

Next year has Amazing Spider-Man, DKR, Wolverine, Superman: Man of Steel, and the Avengers. I think we'll be busy. :D

You know...the more I think about this, the more I think it might just be a good thing. While Blackest Night and everything since has been interesting, the War of the Green Lanterns was just taking it a bit far for me. I could see looking for and containing the entities like Ion, Butcher, Ophidian, etc. I could see Batman stepping down to help fund and support Dick and Damian and the rest of the family.

But after those initial changes, in my gut it feels like things have gone too far. Gotten too absurd or complex to be anywhere near the state of perfect simplicity that I feel is best to get real, long-term mileage out of a story.

I do somewhat resent having all this continuity, in reality my first bit of long-term continuity, seemingly undone. But I understand where it has to be done. So I'm definitely gonna give this a go when it starts. Hopefully I'll even get some friends reading, although that's unlikely.

I wouldn't look for it all to be completely undone. For instance, colored corps are not going away--confirmation? Green Lantern: The Animated Series' main villains are Red Lanterns.

Still, don't let that scare you away. I definitely expect this to be a gigantic jumping-on point.

I think comic fans really need to take a step back when looking at this story. The industry is dying a death of a thousand small cuts, the existing consumer base is struggling to support everything. Something major needs to be done and this what DC decided on. Frankly I like this better than Marvel's current plan of starting up a new speculation market. As much as this might sound unfair this isn't meant for existing fans, it is a "Hail Mary" play to get in some new consumers.

As for the existing fans, the online reaction is about what I expected. There is this feeling that DC is somehow insulting them by making their existing comics "no longer count". It may just be that I am relativity new to comics, bit I don't have an issue with starting over. The Silver Age was all about and this what I think DC is trying to do here, recreate a new a Silver Age. Honestly I don't think this would have been such an issue if DC committed itself more to starting over after CoIE. These character exist month after month, I don't see the harm in revamping them every 20 years or so.

True. As much as I like me some continuity, I don't really understand where people get attached to it as they do. If you liked it, presumably you've read it/own it. If so, go and find it and read it again for your enjoyment. I do that every so often with Nextwave or Superman: Last Son.

Personally, if they really are following through with this, I'm going to give myself a goal of getting one person I know to actively read. If I can get one before the reboot happens, I'll shoot for two. Baby-steps.

The nice thing about our continuity is that it is, in a way, ours. So long as we have the issues or trades in question we can look on them fondly and read them as much as we like, regardless of if the world knows of it's greatness or not. We don't need people to know about Morrison's run on Batman, or back when Bendis did Spider-Man. It would be nice, but it's not as if those things blink out of existence if the modern world doesn't remember it.

I'm going to go out on a limb here (and possibly be the biggest dork in existence and possibly ignored completely) and say that all of us here who care in some fashion about this and believe that it may be a good thing, should use the chance to, as the MMOs call it, Recruit-A-Friend. If we can all get one person, well...we might just make something happen.

I think comic fans really need to take a step back when looking at this story. The industry is dying a death of a thousand small cuts, the existing consumer base is struggling to support everything. Something major needs to be done and this what DC decided on. Frankly I like this better than Marvel's current plan of starting up a new speculation market. As much as this might sound unfair this isn't meant for existing fans, it is a "Hail Mary" play to get in some new consumers.

As for the existing fans, the online reaction is about what I expected. There is this feeling that DC is somehow insulting them by making their existing comics "no longer count". It may just be that I am relativity new to comics, bit I don't have an issue with starting over. The Silver Age was all about and this what I think DC is trying to do here, recreate a new a Silver Age. Honestly I don't think this would have been such an issue if DC committed itself more to starting over after CoIE. These character exist month after month, I don't see the harm in revamping them every 20 years or so.
But what happens to the old ones?! That's the problem! If we revamp the characters what happened to the old ones?! At least give them a solid ending! Don't just let them wither away they deserve better than that.