Now for anyone even remotely active in following comic news knows that after August 31st DC's entire slate is a bit of mystery. The are countless rumors swirling about and speculation is running high. And for DC's part, rather remarkably, they aren't giving up much of anything. That said I still wanted to bring up some of the more prominent rumors and discuss them, since I find them interesting.

The one I want to broach today is that DC is planning to relaunch their entire line, with both a reworked universe and across the board number #1s. On a whole I actually like this idea. Let's be honest comics have become rather insular, even with the new avenues for actual purchase comprehending them is another matter altogether. I can see this working for DC if they want to push not only the "new" retail market but also online distribution. One of major problems with the current market is that nothing is really made for new readers, they have a lack of new characters that they can claim as their own.

The one problem I see with this centers around the "old men" of DC, Action and Detective mainly but you can also include the likes of Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. I am probably in the minority here but I wouldn't that upset if this happened. DC always has this reputation of always clinging to the past and what better way to shake this image than just start over completely. I always look forward to new things in comics and this appeal to me. So what does everyone think?

Once again I would like to state we know nothing about what is happening after Flashpoint, everything in this thread unless otherwise stated is rumor and speculation.

Read my smart post
I wouldn't mind a DCU reboot. The DCU is significantly more complicated than the Marvel U, and I feel DC has a very uneven roster of characters (some are great, most suck). The only DC titles I read are Batman, so I wouldn't be effected much. So DC, I like the idea:thumbs:

IGN also did a little article on this

http://comics.ign.com/articles/116/1168862p1.html

S

scikaiju

That rumor might be interesting if it wasn't for the fact they keep rebooting the universe every so often to clear things up or make it more reader friendly. Crisis on infinite's Earth- universe rebooted. Zero Hour- rebooted, Final Crisis- rebooted. I remember this one crossover in the nineties they did called Genesis, At the end of it Waverider said the timeline unfolded as usual, but with some changes here and there, a minor reboot in a way. And a person can make an arguement they rebooted things after Infinite Crisis. If the rumors about this one is true this would be the fourth major reboot since 1985.

That rumor might be interesting if it wasn't for the fact they keep rebooting the universe every so often to clear things up or make it more reader friendly. Crisis on infinite's Earth- universe rebooted. Zero Hour- rebooted, Final Crisis- rebooted. I remember this one crossover in the nineties they did called Genesis, At the end of it Waverider said the timeline unfolded as usual, but with some changes here and there, a minor reboot in a way. And a person can make an arguement they rebooted things after Infinite Crisis. If the rumors about this one is true this would be the fourth major reboot since 1985.
First what did Final Crisis reboot other than the 4th World, which everyone is ignoring anyway.

As for CoIE from everything I read no one had any idea what was going when that ended, so I think most of the problems that came out of that were more administrative. Again it was even a true reboot, it was this strange mixture of old and new that no one really could keep straight. The thing with all of these revisions no one has ever really just had the balls to says let's just start from square one, someone always wants to keep this or that. I think if they actually want it work this time they need to risk it.

S

scikaiju

I'll admit I might have mixed up Infinite and Final Crisis, but my point still stands. It would be the fourth major reboot in about 26 years.

And that was the idea of the first Crisis, to start the universe off fresh. Streamline things so readers wouldn't have to worry about multiple version of characters on multiple Earths.The only real problem was nothing was rebooted at the same time. I remember reading they were going to kill off Superman at the end of it but they didn't have a replacement character to take his place in the new universe.

Then we got Zero Hour, were they realized things were a mess so they decided to streamline the universe again, starting off everybody, new characters and old, with a 0 issue.

Then we have Infinite Crisis which essentially rebooted some things back to how they were before the first Crisis like multiple Earths and characters history, Wonder Woman being a founding member of the Justice League and Superman having joined the Legion of Super Heroes as a teenager.

This is DC answer when they think about fixing thing: Instead of trying to fix it, reboot it and start fresh

New DCU Confirmed.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/2011-05-31-dc-comics-reinvents_n.htm
dc-comics-reinvents-PG564MG-x-large.jpg

New costumes. New #1. Full digital releases same time with retail. Geoff Johns and Jim Lee on Justice League.

Tyrannosaurus!
As long as Power Girl,Super Girl and a Batgirl's still around I'm cool with it.*and hopefully they'll give Wondy more of an amazon warrior look rather than the biker chick one she currently has but since it's Jim Lee on the book I doubt they'll redesign her*

Rumors for Batman family titles (unsubstantiated so far):

* Bruce is younger, more mysterious, less connected and trusted in the superhero community.

* Batman Inc. is wrapping up before the reboot. Will not return after.

* No Jason Todd survival (not clear if he existed at all).

* Damian does not exist. Batman has not known Ra's and Talia long enough.

* Dick went off from Bruce's care only a few years ago to join the Titans.

* Almost nobody knows Bruce's secret identity.

-- Wonder Woman live in New York and is part of a secret society of Amazons.

-- Superman lost his Super Speed, this power is now exclusive to the Flash, also he is in love with Lana Lang.

-- Almost no one knows who Batman is and he isn´t in good terms with others heroes, Dick is back to being Robin, Jason Todd never existed.

-- Sinestro is back to being a Green Lantern, Red Lanterns will be the corps main enemy.

-- Aquaman has new powers.

-- Ted Kord still dead, but wasn´t killed by Maxwell Lord, JLI is also Back.

-- Dick Grayson and Wally are members of the Titans, will have a role similar to YJ cartoon.

-- No more Justice Society, Outsiders and Birds of Prey.

-- Legion will also be revamped, new future will be very dark.
All from /co/ take it with a grain of salt.
If this is true I'm gonna miss Dick and Daimian a lot.

I go to sleep for four hours and look what happens! I am excited to see what we get in September. Also it seems that there will be 52 books in the entire line now. Plus Cyborg in the JL.

Upcoming series:
* A new title starring Superman written by Grant Morrison.

* Birds of Prey #1 - This new ongoing series will not feature the work of longtime "BoP" writer Gail Simone. In fact, many tried and true approaches to books will be getting a second look at DC in September.

* Teen Titans #1 - The new start for the teen team will be written by "Red Robin" scribe Fabian Nicieza.

* Justice Society of America #1 - Only one of a number of current titles that will welcome a creative team shift, the future of the original superhero team will apparently not involve current writer Marc Guggenheim.

* Wonder Woman #1 - Don't expect the recent changes from writer J. Michael Straczynski to stick when the Amazing Amazon sees another new #1 hit.

* Green Lantern #1 - Even with a new #1, Green Lantern remains in Johns' hands, and readers can expect the effects of major crossovers like "Blackest Night" to stay in place moving forward.

* Hawkman #1 - While fans have known a "Hawkman" series by James Robinson has been in the works since the writer mentioned it on a panel at New York Comic Con, Bleeding Cool's Rich Johnston has been reporting the rumor that the book will be drawn by "Batman & Robin" and "Outsiders" artist Philip Tan.

* Aquaman #1 - No surprises here. The already announced series featuring the sea king by Johns and Ivan Reis will be part of the relaunch wave.

1306888402.jpg