D&D Dragons of Stormwreck Isle Starter Set Review – Dungeons and Dragons

Administrator
Staff member
The newest Dragons of Stormwreck Isle Starter Set from Wizards of the Coast and Hasbro showcases a tutorial-style approach mixed with a classic adventure style to bring brand-new players into the fold. The starter set features everything you need to explore your first campaign – but its emphasis on new players may leave experienced players looking for another plot hook.
The adventure begins with the group of 3-6 players (as in typical Dungeons and Dragons fashion, one player is the Dungeon Master, who leads the story) arriving at the titular Isle. From there, they become embroiled in a quest to aid a group of natives in finding a missing student. A battle with zombies, exploration of a damaged pirate ship, and a showdown at an Observatory round out the adventure, which takes players from 1st level to 3rd level...

Continue reading...

Taking into consideration how poorly Wizards handled the Baldur's Gate section, this actually sounds like a nice method to bring into Descent into Avernus (easy TPK possible at both level 1 and level 2 and potentially TPK between level 3 and level 4 milestone). Instead, use this as an opener, and instead of having four milestone level ups in the Baldur's Gate segment, only do two of them. This will ensure that the characters leave Baldur's Gate at level 5 as expected.

In my opinion, this is a much better option for younger DMs who are just starting out in the role of game master when compared to other possibilities. It will be easier for them to become immersed in this game if the adventure is shorter, and if it is run by seasoned veterans who the new player trusts and who encourages them the whole way through.

#1 Grave Robber
I have this at home and All I can say is that the starter set is an essential piece of equipment for new Dungeon Masters and players alike. This set was essential to my growth as a player and a Dungeon Master, and I can say that with confidence after having DM'd for more than four years. It is extremely user-friendly for new players and assists in explaining the game in a manner that is both fun and understandable.

Larping is a contact sports!
This looks like the ideal way to learn D&D if you don't know anyone who can teach you, at least in my opinion. Although this doesn't even scratch the surface of the fundamentals of Dungeons & Dragons, hopefully it's enough to get you interested in learning more.As opposed to the core set, which features side kicks, the game's biggest downside is that you require other people to play with, such friends or family.

E

EnigmaticWarrior

I was on the verge of purchasing it from Target until I noticed that it does not come with the same number of dice as the beginning kit, nor does it include a DM screen.

What does the Fox say?
Staff member
Many years ago I picked up a paperback book and it was titled “Dungeons and Dragons”. I did not know anything about D & D, but I really enjoyed the book. All I could tell was that it was a book series. Since I am not into games I did not pay any more attention. However, this review has renewed my interest.

Its a tabletop game you play with dice, it is not a videogame. You don't play boardgames too?