I don't have low self esteem.
OK, so back in 2009 Adness did an Americanized version of Kamen Rider Ryuki called Kamen Rider Dragon Knight. Despite it was well received by the Toku fandom, it was a ratings failure, some say it's because it was broadcast on 4Kids TV and at the time Saturday Morning Kid's TV blocks were dying. Interestingly it never even came to the UK.

Then later Saban announced they aquired the rights to Kamen Rider and said they were going to do an adaptation of Kamen Rider Decade called "Power Rider" (or something like that). Power Rider never came to fruition, and they no longer have the rights to Kamen Rider (or so I heard)..

So, now that Saban has ditched the whole Power Rider thing, do you think Adness could have a second chance with Kamen Rider? Do you think they'll get Nickelodeon to air Kamen Rider Dragon Knight while they work on another Kamen Rider series so they can compete with Power Rangers?

Even though Nickelodeon probably won't give them very many timeslots because Kamen Rider isn't a Nickelodeon owned franchise?

Personally I would like to see a return of the American Kamen Rider. Sure Saban's Masked Rider was **** but Kamen Rider Dragon Knight wasn't so bad. I've not completed the series but judging from what I watched it was a million times better than Ryuki. Infact Ryuki was boring as hell. I used to get pissed off whenever something like this would happen but that was because I was a weeaboo at the time, and if you kill off your weeaboo mode and not take sides in this stupid Japan VS America game, then you can learn to appreciate a good TV show for what it is.

DISCUSS!!!!

I never saw Dragon Knight, unfortunately, although I heard good things about it.

In general, though, I think it'd be a shame if nobody at least attempts to bring Kamen Rider over to a mainstream American and European (and Antipodean, one supposes) audience again. The market likes superheroes, that much is undeniable, and Kamen Rider offers a lot of interesting storylines that can be adapted in interesting way.

So, I don't know how likely it is - or how likely it is that Adness will be given another shot at it - nor do I know how good such an adaptation would be (it depends a lot on who's doing the adapting), but I would hope someone gives it another go.

Heh.

Just imagined a BBC Kamen Rider.

You can't tell me that wouldn't be amazing.

I don't have low self esteem.
I never saw Dragon Knight, unfortunately, although I heard good things about it.

In general, though, I think it'd be a shame if nobody at least attempts to bring Kamen Rider over to a mainstream American and European (and Antipodean, one supposes) audience again. The market likes superheroes, that much is undeniable, and Kamen Rider offers a lot of interesting storylines that can be adapted in interesting way.

So, I don't know how likely it is - or how likely it is that Adness will be given another shot at it - nor do I know how good such an adaptation would be (it depends a lot on who's doing the adapting), but I would hope someone gives it another go.

Heh.

That definately would be interesting. A British adaptation of Kamen Rider. I doubt that CBBC would do it, when was the last time CBBC or CITV were even remotely cool. But still if any company could do a British Kamen Rider then hopefully it won't be as **** as Saban's Masked Rider.

Imagine if Mr Bean was a Kamen Rider?!! LOL!!! Just kidding.

What would also be cool is if Manga Entertainment or some other company would release some Japanese Kamen Rider series (with optional English subtitles) on DVD and put them on sale in the Anime section in HMV. That would be cool. This way we can watch the British adaptation on TV, and if we want to watch the Japanese original, it's ready to buy on DVD.

DSP

Lurker
Dragon Knight was okay but...saying it's better than Ryuki is a bit much.

I've always wondered what a british henshin hero would be, multiple times I thought how we'd tackle Kamen Rider, and I think we'd do alright you know. If they chose to make it a family show it'll be a lot like Doctor Who.

But then the problem is the power rangers stigma. The whole henshin hero suit gimmick is very much associated with power rangers and how fucking ridiculous it was back in the 90s. (I doubt the public mind remembers the show past first few seasons of MMPR where it wasn't entirely serious) not to mention when Disney did that whole MMPR edit, so it would be very hard to have the show being treated seriously forcing it to pander to younger kids and most of those shows made here in the UK tend to be seriously lacking, well at least nowadays they are. We don't get anything like the Queen's nose or Aquila anymore.

Though going with the topic title, I think Adness went down the right path in adapting Ryuki, however I found it's production to be very amateurish, and lacked a lot of energy. The american original fights were poorly shot and the lack of any energetic music and really really and I mean really **** sound effects didn't let it rise above being an average show. I really expected a lot more from the Wang Brothers.

I found Dragon Knight to be better than Ryuki, but I doubt there will be another chance for Adness

R

raden238

I don't think the timeslot/4Kidstv had anything to do with Dragon Knight flopping. It aired at 11:30 am which is the best timeslot for the morning block. Some shows are good but just aren't a hit with the general public. "Power Rider" also wasn't going to be an adaptation of Decade, it was just a stupid assumption that the fanbase made because at the time of the trademark, Power Rangers Samurai was airing and everybody thought they would take advantage of the crossover footage.

I think Adness did a good job with Dragon Knight, but fast forwarding to today I don't see them working on another show, with Power Rangers dominating the live action superhero market and all.

K

Kamen Rider IXA

Dragon Knight was a failure.

It had so much promise and first 13-15 episodes were pretty good. But then it went to "Men In Black try to capture heroes, who try to defeat an alien invader" and became kinda... hollow. It became your typical Power Rangers season. Siren's character was really annoying and these stupid twists with Onyx/Dragon Knight and Maya-not really-Siren. Most of characters were also wasted and didn't have enough screentime.

However I've found myself really liking Xaviax. I also appreciate the amount of american footage (especially for Onyx, Camo and Siren), so I'm not really against another Adness try with Rider.

Last edited by a moderator:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! SUBARASHI!!!!
KRDK had its ups and downs. Personally I liked the Rider War, I thought it was better planned out with the sequence of the Riders going out and the fight sequences in general. But after Wing Knight won and everyone just united together the whole thing went too cheesy. Plus the fighting style didn't match at all, you get Odin being really cool from the clips in Ryuki, and next minute he puts up some really stereotypical stances. :sweat:

Altair
AFAIK Adness's rights to Kamen Rider defaulted back to Toei in the last year or so. I don't even know if Adness is doing anything right now, or if they are even still a company.

I think a British Adaptation of Kamen Rider would be more interesting, and they could probably find a spin on the formula that would distinguish it from Power Rangers in the eyes of the British public. And even if it didn't make it's way across the pond we'd still have pirated copies online.

IIRC Adness' licensing agreement has expired. Sadly they didn't exactly prove that there's a strong business case for more Western Rider series. Yes, it's true that superheroes are big business at the moment, with the Marvel movies being planned out for the next 14 years and so on, but the big movie franchises are for recognised names like Superman, Spiderman, Iron Man etc. If Black Widow can't get her own movie by this point, I don't see how a franchise that (let's be honest) is pretty much unknown in the Western world is going to get greenlit.
Then later Saban announced they aquired the rights to Kamen Rider and said they were going to do an adaptation of Kamen Rider Decade called "Power Rider" (or something like that). Power Rider never came to fruition, and they no longer have the rights to Kamen Rider (or so I heard)..
Saban bought the rights back from Disney to all the other 90's toku adaptations they made not long after they bought PR. That doesn't give them the rights to make a new show, just to release the old one on DVD if they wanted to (dunno if they ever did, didn't they start VR Troopers and drop it halfway through?). It also got leaked that they had applied for the trademark for the phrase "Power Rider". A lot of people assumed that meant they were doing another series, or that footage from the Decade crossover with Shinkenger might turn up in PR Samurai. Neither did. It's worth pointing out that it's VERY common for companies to make what are called "defensive applications" i.e. they apply for a trademarks, web addresses etc just to prevent other people from using them. For example, the rights to "googlesucks.com" are owned by Google.

When Adness wanted to adapt Kamen Rider, they had to go to Japan and make a presentation to Ishinomori's family to persuade them to let them license the brand. That was quite a surprise, considering that the family have no involvement at all in the Japanese shows beyond collecting their royalties for letting Toei and Bandai continue using the brand name. It turns out that the reason why is because when Ishinomori was alive he saw an episode of Saban's Masked Rider, and immediately announced that he'd never let a foreign company adapt one of his shows again, and the family had been upholding that ever since. So the chances of them granting Saban another go seem rather slim.
Heh.

A British superhero show? All I can think of is this:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgO3CLVrn1U"]Batman and Robin Fancy Dress[/ame]As a general rule we don't put that much money into either science fiction or childrens' TV any more. British childrens' channels run on American imports, and Doctor Who is pretty much the only mainstream sci-fi show that manages to get a consistent run (others have survived, like Red Dwarf, but they go years between series). Not even beloved classics like the Century 21 productions (Thunderbirds, Stingray, Captain Scarlet etc) managed to keep going :disappoin