It's Judgement Time!
cant tell what the point of this 'confession' is all about. Is it just a rant? Is it trying to be negative or sympathetic to the company? If you want to know more about what its like, just ask anyone who has worked there. What this guy has said is nothing mind-blowing or astounding.

And every experience will be different. It's weird that he was 'on gutting duty'. Usually when you just get hired, you're on 'wall duty' and gutting is reserved for management or people who can be trusted to handle raw merchandise.

His 'reasons' for gutting are also suspect and askew, making me wonder how long he worked there. The very simple answer to gutting is that Gamestop likes to have an actual box on the floor for customers to look at and hold. Obviously GS wont let customers hold actual product (a case with a game inside it) so the company guts one New copy and places the empty box on the shelf so customers can see what we have in stock and touch it, feel it.

He's also a little off on this reasoning on why GameStop just doesnt make fake boxes for the new titles that we have in stock instead of using new ones.

I don't know GameStop's official reason for not using fake boxes for new games, instead of gutting one copy.

But I can tell you this author's reasoning is flawed. For one, GameStop receives high quality promotional box art for brand new games all the time. GameStop uses that box art for promotional box displays all over the store.

There have been times when GameStop even uses this boxart as an actual 'we have it in stock' placeholder for a new game!

GameStop also orders thousands of blank game boxes to be used as display or for the use of used games all the time.

BoxArt and GameBoxes are items GameStop stores receive on a Daily Basis. If GameStop wanted, they could officially say, "dont guy new games. Just use promotional art."

Some stores do, indeed, do that.

Of course, all of this is just hair splitting and doesnt matter.

oh well.

Last edited:
It's Judgement Time!
so I read part 2 and yeah... this guy fails. He's not worth the time. I still have no idea what the point of his rants are. He's just making himself sound like a jerk.

Well it always bothered me they'd try and sell me a game thats been clearly opened from time to time and sell it as new. When I buy new I expect new. They also hassled me when I got my first DS lite because I stepped out the store opened it and found a dead pixel. They told me to just ignore it but I pushed them into giving me a new one.
Not that I care anymore. Amazon is my new best friend.

Banned
I never give anything like this any merit. Stuff like this is mostly written by people that got fired for what ever reason and they are just sore.

This older review is much more accurate and justified (he even says constantly that only the Game Stops he's worked at and the ones of employees he's contacted are like this). The guy in the OP is nit picking too much over trivial ****. Don't make the mistake of judging this after one episode, I'll be honest the first episode is pretty bad and more of a rant than an informative video.

Certainly almost all the ones my area and a couple states over are this bad. And they bought out every game store in my city except exactly 3.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6wnow_zero-originality-episode-1_videogames

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6wx7h_zero-originality-episode-2

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6wy69_zero-originality-episode-3-part-1_videogames

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6xoh0_zero-originality-episode-3-part-2_videogames

It's Judgement Time!
Well it always bothered me they'd try and sell me a game thats been clearly opened from time to time and sell it as new. When I buy new I expect new. They also hassled me when I got my first DS lite because I stepped out the store opened it and found a dead pixel. They told me to just ignore it but I pushed them into giving me a new one.
Not that I care anymore. Amazon is my new best friend.

That sucks, dude! Whenever I sold an 'opened' new game, I always let the customer know "hey, it's the last game so it -is- opened. However, it's never been played before and only used as a promotional store display. I will show you the disc surface to ensure there are no scratches or tarnishes."

If there was a tarnish of any kind on the disc, I promptly gave a shopworn discount on the disc.

Also, that sucks about the DS. I woulda just tossed you another one. Don't know why they would care enough to not just switch it out.

Banned
It's like any other business, you are going to have good stores and bad. Take subway. There are a few locations around me that have great service, and then there are others that are just awful.

It's Judgement Time!
yup. I hate the quiznos near me, because they dont take coupons. the bastards... =_=