So I remembered Shout Factory having forums at one time that Briand Ward actually talked to people on, but that seems to be a thing of the past because I can't find it. I've heard that Shout's people read this forum tho so I'm hoping they see this topic (also if this is in the wrong place, please move it, altho remember I want it to be seen).

Simply put, I have heavy concerns about Kakuranger on DVD. Specifically, the handling of the translation.

I'll be frank.... over the last decade, I've noticed a disturbing trend among licensors of Japanese media. That being that in their official subtitles and translations, they pay no attention to meaning or nuance, or in some cases even basic viewing or narrative considerations, and in doing so wind up creating subtitles that, at best, are followable but lose a lot of the "character," and at worse make a show un-followable without translation notes.

For a case of this, in the anime Clannad there's a character named Fuko who always referred to herself in first person, ie "Fuko wants you to come to her big sister's wedding!" This was a major character quirk, one even commented on by other characters, and contributed to her "cuteness." But when Sentai Filmworks licensed the series and brought it over... they made the dialogue too formal, and that included eradicating her quirk, and in doing so rendering any lines that referred to it nonsensical.

Another case of this was in Lucky Star. In one scene, two girls are looking at a picture they think is of Konata close to her dad, and Konata says "that's my mom." The fansubs translated the next line as "She was legal, right?" But the official DVDs translated it as "I hope it wasn't a crime!" While the same meaning gets across, the latter sounds stiff and inhuman, while the former sounds like what people would actually say.

This brings me to Kakuranger.

As the group GUIS noted, Kakuranger is a very Japanese series, and also one that needs to have care taken in its translation, otherwise its rendered incomprehensible, or at the very least it becomes on the level of Sony's official translation of Final Fantasy VII, where you can follow the basic plot but a lot of other essential information is lost.

One example of this occurs in episode three, with the introduction of American Ninja Jiraiya, a character who speaks fluent English in much of his scenes, but whose Japanese starts out bad but gets better as time goes on. He also rather consistently uses certain Japanese terms (such as the series transformation phrase, "Super Henge!") despite being a native English speaker. As GUIS's notes said, "if the creators intended the term to be translated, they would've done so themselves." Besides which translating certain terms loses some of the wordplay, and again would make some parts incomprehensible--for example, there's a part where an old word for scroll, makiniko (if I spelled that wrong, sorry), is left as-is by the fansubbers because there's wordplay on it later.

My fear is that Shout might, for example, simply translate the word as "scroll" in all instances, thus losing the wordplay and making that conversation confusing. It's a minor example, but if enough of these pile up, it'll make the entire translation no better than one of those Hong Kong bootlegs.

Now, I've talked up GUIS so much I must sound like a shill, so I'll go all the way: my recommendation is that you simply license their subtitles and include a printout of their translation notes as a booklet.

If for some reason that is impossible, I hope your own translators are at least aware of these issues and are trying their best to preserve the show's nuances, and will include their own notes. My purpose is simply to hope Shout Factory is aware that the quality of translation could make or break this particular season. If done wrong, it'll be boring, if not impossible to understand, and likely will sell the least of all your releases. And to me, that would be terrible, as I hope Shout keeps translating Sentai well into the next millennium.

Anyway, I've advanced my concerns. What you do with this info is up to you.

May the Power protect you always.

D

Dr Kain

Seeing as how they did a perfectly fine job with Zyu and Dai, I see no reason to be worried.

I also have some concerns that I've been wanting to voice to Shout Factory, but mine are a bit simple...

Please don't be afraid to translate the "Sentai" into "Squadron" like you did with ZyuRanger.
You can keep printing "SUPER SENTAI" on the box so that fans can identify the franchise, but in team names, go ahead and translate "Sentai". And maybe the word that comes before it, depending on the series. (Obviously, the word "NINJA" from Ninja Squadron KakuRanger doesn't need to be translated, but "Gosei Sentai" should have been translated into Five-Star Squadron.)

From what I heard, Shout Factory got some bad advice from the fans. They left "Gosei Sentai" untranslated because they wanted their translation to be more like fansubs. But the thing is... THESE WORDS MEAN SOMETHING! There is no point in regressing like this. I can look past many things, like leaving in honorifics (even if they are cringe worthy). And if a show has a very heavy Japanese cultural influence, I can understand leaving in some buzz words that don't need to be translated. But this is one case where a translation is definitely needed. There are times when official confirmation on the translation would have been REALLY nice.

My advice to Shout Factory is, if it is going to taint the quality of your translations, then please ignore the fans who don't know what they're talking about. Your translation style was fine the first time around (even if certain nuances are lost, like Edmond Dantes mentions above). Don't downgrade the quality to the point where it would only make the weeaboos happy.

D

Dr Kain

I have no issue with them leaving it was Gosei Sentai Dairanger. You might as well ask them to translate Ryuuseio to Dragon Star King and DaijinRyu to Great God Dragon.

I just hope they keep the villains in GoGoV the Saima Clan if they get that far. AIS is doing a fantastic job with everything on their subs for GoGoV except for translating Saima Clan to Disademon.

I have no issue with them leaving it was Gosei Sentai Dairanger. You might as well ask them to translate Ryuuseio to Dragon Star King and DaijinRyu to Great God Dragon.

The difference there is, Ryuuseio, DaiJinRyu, and even DaiZyuJin and so on can all be seen as proper names. Sure, translating them would be nice, but I can honestly go either way at this point.

The title of the show is a different thing. If I'm introducing this to a friend who has never seen/experienced Sentai, Power Rangers, or Tokusatsu in general, I don't want to stop the video to explain what certain words mean. And if I feel like an idiot for saying stuff like "Gosei Sentai DaiRanger" out loud like it's suppose to be natural to me, there are people who will feel just as confused from reading it because they are basically random Japanese words with no context or explanation. The 3rd word is all ready the proper name (ZyuRanger, DaiRanger, KakuRanger, etc.) which is spelled out from Katakana, meaning it's not suppose to be translated. The two words before it (___ Sentai) have meaning that shouldn't be ignored.

We may be fine with it being untranslated because we're fans and we all ready know this stuff. But the translation should still be accessible even for people who are new to Super Sentai. That's why all the major fansub groups that I support have always translated the title of the show accordingly. GUIS, MFC, Imagination Station, and more have all done it. Even Over-Time use to do it for a long while until translating the word "Sentai" because too tedious for them, but I give them slack because they share softsubs anyways. If the better fansubs out there are doing it, there should be no excuse for Shout Factory.

^ The thing is, when the end result is translating a simple name like 'Saima' into the awkward 'Catastrophiend', it doesn't necessarily make it more accessible. It doesn't even sound appealing.

^ The thing is, when the end result is translating a simple name like 'Saima' into the awkward 'Catastrophiend', it doesn't necessarily make it more accessible. It doesn't even sound appealing.

To me, it's the opposite. Catastropheind rolls off the tongue well, and at least I kind of understand what you're going for with a word like that. I'm not Japanese, I didn't grow up with the language, and unless I do some research into the word, it would still mean nothing to me. It would just be a leftover from the Japanese language. The same is basically true for the audience you are translating a show for. If a word has meaning, if the audience and the people in the show can instantly recognize that meaning, then it really should be translated.

Thing is, we're not suppose to make the call on what should not be translated. We can use clues, like what's written in Katakana and what isn't, but a translator's job is to translate. That whole "this word sounds way cooler in it's original language" mindset is the most toxic mindset you could ever have as a translator. So unless the makers of DaiRanger or someone at Toei said "leave Sentai untranslated in EVERY instance", then it's not our place to leave it as it is. It's meant to be translated, plain and simple. If you're part of the company that obtained the legal rights to the show, you can talk to the distributors and the original creators and explain why it's fine to leave certain words untranslated (and they might even be cool with it), but you have to be VERY careful about that kind of thing. Any word you leave untranslated, you run the risk of skewing the show to be slightly less understandable.

Last edited:
So is there any way to actually talk to someone from Shout Factory about this? As long as we're just discussing this among ourselves, nothing is accomplished, and there's still danger of Kakuranger being an incomprehensible clusterfrag (which would result in poor sales, and thus, no more sentai seasons... which would make me a sad panda -__- )

To me, it's the opposite. Catastropheind rolls off the tongue well

Rolls off the tongue well?? Are you kidding? It's so much easier to say 'Saima' than 'Catastrophiend'. Besides, it's a proper name for the family. Would you translate the name 'Corleone' (if it had a meaning) from the Godfather series just because it's Italian?

If translating everything is so crucial to you, then I really think translation notes are the way to go in some cases. At a certain point it does become ridiculous.

D

Dr Kain

This is so funny. Shout! translated Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger to Dinosaur Squadron Zyuranger and people complained. They keep Gosei Sentai Dairanger, and people complain. No matter what, Shout! is not going to win.

I don't get what is so awkward about saying Gosei Sentai Dairanger. I've been doing it for 13 years and I will continue to do so. The only things that need to be translated is the dialog. I don't mind them translating the villain names in Dairanger because they are named on their objects. However, mech names, the series title, and group names need to remain in Japanese. Like I don't want them translating Daimaou to Great Demon King. I don't want them translating Youkai to Ghost. I also want the mechs to remain Kakure Dai Shogun, Muteki Dai Shogun, and Tsubasamaru. It's so weird seeing Shogun the Mighty on screen from GUIS.

And no, just because they leave a word out does not mean people are going to feel alienated. It's not like it is dubbed, it's subtitled. People don't want a fully Americanized translation, they want something as accurate as possible. Keeping the names and titles in their Japanese is keeping it accurate.

BTW, Saima Clan is so much easier to say than Catastropheind.