"Shocker Gundan, Banzai!"
As reported by Sheldon Warnock:

zaborger_movie_mb01.jpg

Noboru Iguchi's Denjin Zaborger: The Movie (Denjin Zabôgâ: gekijô-ban) is set to start shooting shortly. As was noted in a post of mine last month, the movie is being produced by Nikkatsu Corporation (Nikkatsu K.K.) under the company's Sushi Typhoon label. Its cast apparently includes Yui Murata, Asami, and Cay Izumi (Izumi Kai) - all three of whom are in Iguchi's RoboGeisha (Robo-geisha) and his, Tak Sakaguchi (Sakaguchi Taku), and Yoshihiro Nishimura's Mutant Girls Squad (Sentô shôjo: chi no tekkamen densetsu). Nishimura and his Nishimura Eizo Co. Ltd. (Y.K. Nishimura Eizô) are responsible for its special make-up effects.

BTW, Asami is also in Iguchi et al.'s The Ancient Dogoo Girl: Special Movie Edition (Kyôretsu môretsu! Kodai shôjo Dogu-chan matsuri! Supesharu mûbî edishon - a.k.a. "Kyôretsu! Môretsu!! Kodai shôjo Dogu-chan matsuri: supesharu mûbî edishon"), Shin'ichi Okuda's Yakuza-Busting Girls: Duel in Hell (Gyakushû! Sukeban hantâzu: jigoku no kettô), Kazushi Nakadaira's Yakuza-Busting Girls: Final Death-Ride Battle (Bakuhatsu! Sukeban hantâzu: sôkatsu nagurikomi sakusen), and Gô Ohara's upcoming Gothic & Lolita Psycho (Gosurori shokeinin).

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7oCWuBCTOE]YouTube: Denjin Zaborger TV series title sequence[/ame]

Wikipedia: Denjin Zaborger TV series

IMDb: Denjin Zaborger TV series

RoboGeisha official website

Mutant Girls Squad official website

The Ancient Dogoo Girl: Special Movie Edition official subsite

Yakuza-Busting Girls series official website

Gothic & Lolita Psycho official subsite

News sources: Asami official blog and GOMORRAHY.com: Trailer Park subsite

:O_O::castlerock:

This is one hell of a week for classic Toku fans!.

Well..... can't say this is much for "classic" toku fans , as it's 2010 and things SURELYYYYYY are NOT made the same way and NEVER keep honest to the way the "classic" is/was. The "name" is of a classic, but surely it will be made in the same vein of all 'new' junks. i.e. Mirroman, Silver Kamen spring to mind :disappoin ...Can't say I am all too enthused, until I see it and if it's any good. Even if it's good it's still going to be "classic" via name only.

Eye See You
But it's based off an old school series, plus the 2 Gamera movies coming out on DVD soon. This is what I meant by it.

Zaboger isn't a Toei show, is it? If not perhaps it has a shot of really being worth something. THE FIRST and THE NEXT essentially only had cool costumes, fights and ideas, and badly written plot. I have only seen clips of the Hakaider movie but people seem to be divided on whether it was any good.

But what other old tokus are getting movies? I only know of a toku version of one of the Super Robots coming.

Zaboger isn't a Toei show, is it? If not perhaps it has a shot of really being worth something. THE FIRST and THE NEXT essentially only had cool costumes, fights and ideas, and badly written plot. I have only seen clips of the Hakaider movie but people seem to be divided on whether it was any good. (After a quick lookup, I hope this thing comes up with better robot designs than the show produced.)

But what other old tokus are getting movies? I only know of a toku version of one of the Super Robots coming.

Zaboger isn't a Toei show, is it? If not perhaps it has a shot of really being worth something. THE FIRST and THE NEXT essentially only had cool costumes, fights and ideas, and badly written plot. I have only seen clips of the Hakaider movie but people seem to be divided on whether it was any good.

Unfortunately, I would very much doubt this being better than Toei's efforts because...
...the movie is being produced by Nikkatsu Corporation (Nikkatsu K.K.) under the company's Sushi Typhoon label. Its cast apparently includes Yui Murata, Asami, and Cay Izumi (Izumi Kai) - all three of whom are in Iguchi's RoboGeisha (Robo-geisha) and his, Tak Sakaguchi (Sakaguchi Taku), and Yoshihiro Nishimura's Mutant Girls Squad (Sentô shôjo: chi no tekkamen densetsu). Nishimura and his Nishimura Eizo Co. Ltd. (Y.K. Nishimura Eizô) are responsible for its special make-up effects.
I think that pretty much guarantees this will have a horrible plot.

Wow, I'd heard of the series, but never knew it was created by Kazuo Koike... it seems really out-of-place next to titles like Crying Freeman, Lady Snowblood, Lone Wolf and Cub, and Hanzo the Razor.

As for Iguchi directing, it also seems a little weird. He's sort of a splatter/idol director, which worked well for him when adapting the Kazuo Umezz's stories or Go Nagai's Oira Sukeban, but he's still not one I would expect to adapt a 1970's hero show.

Is Zaborger particularly violent or sexual compared to other Japanese heroes? I sort of expect the new version will be, unless Iguchi's started going against type.

"Shocker Gundan, Banzai!"
The original DENJIN ZABOGA was a collaboration between mangaka Shoji Ushio (aka Tomio Sagisu) and Kazuo Koike--the latter was a hired gun by Sagisu, who was the head of P-Productions, which produced shows like MAGMA TAISHI, SPECTREMAN, and LION MARU. The focus of DENJIN ZABOGA was ultra-violence and martial arts, and was pretty damned good at it. A fun show and one of the outstanding creations of the 1970s (and was also shown in Hawaii with subtitles during the Kikaida Craze). I doubt that this film will pay much respect to the original.