MagiFanboy
Having just finished rewatching Dengeki Sentai Changeman (Still love it, still my second favorite Super Sentai), I've decided to watch Choushinsei Flashman; technically I tried to watch it before but I only made it four episodes in before the lack of subs discouraged me, but that was a good while ago and now I'm at the point where subs are greatly appreciated but I can do without if I have to.

Anyway! First episode down and for a plot plot plot action action action opener that doesn't hardly ever give any time to flesh out the characters, it's a pretty good one, better than Changeman's in my opinion, mostly because the premise here is a more creative and interesting one at the outset to me. I really like the setup with MESS, how they're basically approaching the Earth as this giant weapons testing lab, which fully justifies them sending out one monster at a time instead of just building up their army and attacking full force. The designs are also really good, and when Lee Keflin is working that orchestra piano thing, I can't help but think of the two monster makers from Abaranger, only not nearly so silly.

As to the heroes, like I mentioned before they don't give hardly any time for characterization, but a few of them manage to convey their personalities through their actions well, most prominently Sara being "The Smart One" of the group. Plus, the fact is that these heroes are pretty proactive, leaving the safety of the Flash system to go save Earth, a planet they next to nothing about, and they have their own goal of trying to find their parents, so this is a setup that should give our heroes plenty to do when they're not fighting off mutant elephants or whatever else Ra Deus thinks might be the ultimate life form that could conquer the entire universe.

So yeah, this is a good start and I'm definitely optimistic about watching this series.

MagiFanboy

I tip my hat to you Green Flash.

Anyway, second episode down, and much like the first the focus is on action and plot, elaborating on how the Flashman members were abducted as babies and their rescue, their training and all that good stuff, not to mention introducing the giant robot for the series, Flash King; one thing I like is that the carrier ship Flash Condor carries the sword when they're not using it, so it doesn't just appear out of nowhere like so many other giant robot swords do.

Also, in a rare turn of events I find that I much prefer the ending theme over the opening theme.

Mad Skillz
You are in for an amazing ride. Flashman is my favorite Sentai and I always love it when people start watching it, I think it's a real turning point in the franchise. The first few episodes are very 80s - by which I mean you have the team joining up to face down the enemies from atop some hill and generally look grand and heroic. I wanna say by episode three or so you start to know more about these characters. It's not often done in a way where a character gets a focus episode and thus we learn a ton about them there, but things feel like they trickle out for everyone at a natural pace. Whatever the case, I hope you enjoy it. I'm pretty sure it's episode three or so, but one of the early ones, the one that hooked me, deals with the fact that Jin was the only member of the team old enough to even remember his parents.

I complete this series around early last year? before YouTube got purged and I'm aware that a lot of people in this fandom thinks this series is great, but not me. storyline wise, it's something very deep and I remember Shougo mentioning that it was based on a true story regarding Japanese babies raised in China returning to their homeland only to get snubbed or something like that.

anyway, regarding the characters: am I the only who noticed that if it's not Jin, it's either Bun or Sara who gets too much focus? I still dunno anything about Dai and Lou at this point. Bun is desperate to reunite with his parents... Sara is the only one who discovered her true roots... but the other two? I rarely knew them. the villains, on the other hand, were great. I thought that one ep when Ley Wanda founds out that he was nothing more than a science experiment and went mad was just wow. Ley Nefel is probably one of my favorite villainess and I love it everytime she screams "ONORE!!!"

fighting choreography wise, I loved it at first and thought it was so fun to see both sides beating the **** out of each other, but halfway through the series, I just got tired of seeing it. really. I also started skipping the mecha fights halfway through. it was just too tiring and annoying to watch them. I guess that's just me?

MagiFanboy
II thought that one ep when Ley Wanda founds out that he was nothing more than a science experiment and went mad was just wow.

Being that I've just started Flashman, I haven't seen that episode, so you just spoiled things for me. Granted, Ley Wanda as a winged zebra unicorn monster man thing, so the fact that he's the product of a science experiment isn't that shocking, but I would still have much rather have learned that in the episode itself. Please do not spoil me again.

You are in for an amazing ride. Flashman is my favorite Sentai and I always love it when people start watching it, I think it's a real turning point in the franchise. The first few episodes are very 80s - by which I mean you have the team joining up to face down the enemies from atop some hill and generally look grand and heroic. I wanna say by episode three or so you start to know more about these characters. It's not often done in a way where a character gets a focus episode and thus we learn a ton about them there, but things feel like they trickle out for everyone at a natural pace. Whatever the case, I hope you enjoy it. I'm pretty sure it's episode three or so, but one of the early ones, the one that hooked me, deals with the fact that Jin was the only member of the team old enough to even remember his parents.

Yes, episode 3 when they encounter an Alien Hunter and Jin remembers what little he can about his own abduction. Other things we get from the episode is that Dai looks like he'll be our resident Ladies Man for the series, Bun is going to be comic relief, Ruu/Lou is the tough girl, Ley Nefel is the sneaky disguise villain, and the big fight scene at the end used short panning shots that reminded me of Changeman. If I hadn't been hooked right from the start, this would likely be the one to pull me in.