Books Chinese and Japanese literature

Asian literature seems to be very interesting. I've only managed to read two Asian books, both on mythology - Chinese and Japanese mythology. They have very powerful mythological stories. Have you read any Chinese/Japanese books? Would you recommend some books?

Shaken Not Stirred!!
The Art Of War by Sun Tzu is about as far as I have got with any type of Asian book. Completely non fiction so not my usual cup of tea but definitely worth the read if you haven't already.

Administrator
Staff member
I have a few Japanese mythology books I need to get to. I have a lot of mythology books I need to sit down and read. There's an Icelandic one that I'd really love to read if I had more time.

Shaken Not Stirred!!
I have always fancied reading some Japanese mythology books but never knew what to chose. Can anyone recommend any to me, after reading this I have an urge to read one now,lol..

The Art Of War by Sun Tzu is about as far as I have got with any type of Asian book. Completely non fiction so not my usual cup of tea but definitely worth the read if you haven't already.

I completely forgot that I have read this book. It was when I was on college I got The Art of War and The Prince by Machiavelli. Great political/philosophical books. The Art of War by Sun Tzu is often quoted even today.

The Kojiki and the Rikkokushi are the seminal texts for the legends and history of Japan. Although, when it comes to the Shinto mythology, I do remember reading somewhere that it wasn't organized until the Yamato Clan rose to power and basically made their own nature and ancestral deities the deities over other peoples' and clans'.

For something more recent, there's The Tale of Genji by Lady Murasaki Shikibu, which is a classic and has that bygone era nobleman adventurer-explorer charm.

For more modern literature, I remember being a great fan of Haruki Murakami's stuff, especially his short story collections: After the Quake and The Elephant Vanishes.

For Chinese literature, I'm less familiar. I've read The Art of War (in graphic novel format, which I thought was pretty cool), but only heard about the Romance of the Three Kingdoms.