[GAME] Changeling the Lost: A Faerie Tale in New York

Bruce watched the figures with interest. He knew a party when he saw one. He could see the motions and hear the music. There was no doubt about it. He immediately reminded himself to be careful. Never trust your eyes in the Hedge. It had a way of toying with your perceptions like a really deep trip. If one of the others could corroborate it, he would at least know it was not just in his own head.

“’Ere, boys,†the Darkling said, finally turning his eyes from the scene above to the rest of the motley.

Bruce rolls Wits + Investigation (5 dice)
2 – 9 – 9 – 4 – 6 = 2 successes.

Refocused on his task Andrew began to scan through the garden from its entrance. As he carefully searched the lush garden from a point of what safety, he couldn’t help but feel a bit surprised by how different the region was compared to the Enthusiast’s. It seemed so open and natural totally unlike the dusty maze he was used to. Unfortunately it hardly seemed like it would be as predictable either, a thought that kept Andrew from entering. Hearing Bruce call he turned to face him.

“Yes?â€

[HIDE]7 - 2 - 8 - 5 - 10 - 2
2 successes[/HIDE]

As he looked around the garden he found the creature he had seen earlier. She was hidden in a thicket of tall Calocephalus, the stunning white foliage dotted with brilliant button like flowers in colors ranging from deep crimson, to pale lavender, to neon pink. From the waist down she had the back legs of a unicorn with shimmering pearline fur, but from the waist up the creature was a beautiful woman with snow white skin, platinum hair, and a star shaped birthmark on her forehead. Amethyst eyes blinked serenely and a faint blush dusted her cheek as she looked at the beast, she was wraped in a toga that was only barely wrapped around her. in one hand she held a silver mask with a unicorn’s horn, around her neck was a choker attached to several silver keys. She smiled at him sweetly and offered him a hand.

“I haven’t seen you in this part of the garden†she murmured coyly

Alex started to extend a hand but thought better of it. With a quick jerk he'd pulled his hand back to his side. "Forgive my rudeness." He requested calmly "I am not from this garden. Though I lived in one much wilder than this..."

Alex wondered why he'd begun to talk about Gaia's garden. Glancing around, Alex motioned to a suitable area to sit down. Walking over Alex slowly sat down and voiced his reason for intruding. "I am here seeking a lost girl. Have you seen such a one? And do the key's around your choker open or close the way to paths and such things?"

[HIDE]Alex rolls Presence + Socialize (4 Dice)
2 - 10 - 3 - 10 > 2 - 10 > 8 = 4 successes
[/HIDE]

Lurker
He couldnt quite put his finger on it but there was just something about this area and the things in it that intrigued him. While part of him knew he had to regroup with the others part of him also wanted to look around a bit more. He thought for a moment and shrugged. "Eh I'll look around as I leave, there everyone's happy...I really gotta stop talking to myself." he muttered to himself as he began attempting to retrace his steps while keeping an eye out for anything interesting.

[HIDE]
Wits + Investigation (3d10)

10 - 8 - 1

Three successes

[/HIDE]

From the waist down she had the back legs of a unicorn with shimmering pearline fur, but from the waist up the creature was a beautiful woman with snow white skin, platinum hair, and a star shaped birthmark on her forehead. Amethyst eyes blinked serenely and a faint blush dusted her cheek as she looked at the beast, she was wraped in a toga that was only barely wrapped around her. in one hand she held a silver mask with a unicorn’s horn, around her neck was a choker attached to several silver keys. She smiled at him sweetly and offered him a hand.

Alex wondered why he'd begun to talk about Gaia's garden. Glancing around, Alex motioned to a suitable area to sit down. Walking over Alex slowly sat down and voiced his reason for intruding. "I am here seeking a lost girl. Have you seen such a one? And do the key's around your choker open or close the way to paths and such things?"

“All who wander are lost, but the newest addition to the menagerie is currently the Mistresses favorite toy. You might need help getting her, seek out the Poet†The creature murmured before she sat up nervously and fingered the keys. She looked toward the castle and then to Alex before removing two keys from the choker. “I can only give you one key... the one in my left hand will open the garden gate at will... The one in my right will let you into the castle, choose quickly and wiselyâ€

Bruce was about to explain what he had seen to Andrew, when his eyes fell on Max heading across the garden towards them – or rather, it was what was happening in the middle of them that caught his attention. It was Alex, who seemed to be hunkered down and talking to a large, white bush.

“Alex!†Bruce called over. “You making friends with the foliage or what?â€

“I can only give you one key... the one in my left hand will open the garden gate at will... The one in my right will let you into the castle, choose quickly and wiselyâ€

“Alex!†Bruce called over. “You making friends with the foliage or what?â€

Alex glanced around and took the key from her right hand. "I thank you for these gifts. I will seek out the Poet as you recommend." With a nod Alex turned and bounded over to Bruce and Andrew.

"I see friend is unharmed? That is good." Alex then glanced at Bruce with a rare seriousness in his eyes. "I did make a friend but you could not see her. She gave me two gifts before leaving."

He held up the small silver key. "This key will let us into the castle. We also should seek the help of The Poet in our quest to find the lost one."

Bruce furrowed his brow. “That’s what I was worried about,” he said, “us seeing things that might not be there.”

He plucked the key out of the Beast’s reptilian paw and inspected it. “But we can all see this, so…worth a shot, I reckon. Good work.” He handed it back.

“Speaking of the castle, tell me if any of you lot can see anything up there.” He turned around and pointed up towards where he had seen the dancing figures.

“Speaking of the castle, tell me if any of you lot can see anything up there.” He turned around and pointed up towards where he had seen the dancing figures

As the motley looked toward where Bruce was pointing, a golden glow emanated from inside the castle. The event was apparently still in progress. Figures of alien shapes and sizes swirled behind the obscuring wall of frosted glass matched to a lilting, fast paced tune that made one want to throw their arms up and dance. This tune could be heard clearly because all sound in the garden had ceased as if every single thing were holding its breath and waiting. Then both Andrew and Max saw a glimpse of something, little opalescent flecks of color from off to either side.

Andrew probably had no idea what was causing the light but he suddenly had a feeling like something was watching him... the way a cat watches prey.

Max meanwhile suddenly had a flashback to what he had seen earlier

“a circular clearing with a silver podium in the center,upon which was engraved the phrase

‘What if we had ideas that could think for themselves? What if one day our dreams no longer needed us? When these things occur and are held to be true, the time will be upon us’.

On top of the podium stood an angel statue, it was made of clear glass that flashed with little flecks of color like an opal. Max almost wished he could see her face but the statue had been carved as if it were crying and therefore its face was obscured by its hands.”

A quick glance toward where the podium was revealed that the statue was gone and he was fairly sure no one could have moved it without the motley noticing... which meant it had moved under its own power

If the entire motley looked past the part of the castle that revealed the strange gathering. There was a silver door set in the farthest point of the castle wall that matched the key Alex had acquired. That door clearly led to the interior and wasn't very far... but the gate they used to enter the garden was closer, the motley might be able to quickly dash for either of them with some luck.

(okay so if you bolt, say whether your running for the door or gate then roll your speed. if you want a chance to retaliate while running it will be speed halved & rounded down. if you want to look for a weapon give me a perception check, usual roll please, before you run... if you not running.... that's your choice)

Last edited:
Thinking of the child trapped inside, Andrew decided to enter through the silver door.

“Pass me the key and I’ll go ahead and secure the silver door!â€

Readying himself for a moment, his focus darted from side to side as he tried to find something to defend himself.

[HIDE]7 + 3 + 1 + 8 + 7
1 success
[/HIDE]
Seeing the urgency of the situation he concluded to grab the first thing he could find and concentrate on running off to the door. He sprinted forward toward the door, never before had he ran with such urgency.

[HIDE]7 + 1 + 2 + 10 + 3 + 2 + 9 + 10 + 8
7 + 4
4 successes

[/HIDE]