[GAME] Changeling the Lost: A Faerie Tale in New York

Chapter 1

The end of Spring in Buffalo, New York. It was a time of year that meant many things to many people. For most, it meant that the weather was finally going to be nice for a little while before the blistering heat of Summer. For Changelings, the last three weeks of the season was a non-stop party as the Spring Court celebrated their season's ending with an even more out-of- control cascade pf debaucheries than had heralded its coming.
One of the more somber events was the Freshers Ball, a large party where every Changeling who had been in Buffalo for less than a year was brought together in order to build camaraderie…or at least that was the reason that everyone said out loud. The unspoken truth, however, was so the Summer and Winter Courts could put faces to names.

Currently this year’s group had been gathered a bit early and now stood in the communal hollow used for social functions staring at each other in awkward silence while Roxie Tellura and her boyfriend Bruce Halford were setting up the last pieces of the music system.

The room itself was huge, hollowed out of the hedge and currently festooned with vibrant color changing flowers of all kinds. on a dais was a throne shaped from thousands of silver and emerald vines.

“That’s about it… there is just one more little thing†Roxie’s spiral galaxy eyes twinkled mischievously, the constellations that covered the midnight black surface of her skin glittered as she leaned in close to Bruce while she ghosted his lips with a smoldering kiss using this as a distraction to fasten a name tag to his shirt. "Have fun"

(alright guys your chars are all guest's at this party, so smooze, talk to each other you are all wearing a name tag that states 'Hi, my name is ________')

Alex Tetramata. His name was Alex Tetramata. The name tag pinned to his shirt loudly declared that.

The white color of "Hi, My name is Alex Tetramata!" contrasted sharply with the muscular man's black spiked hair, dark green shirt and black leather jacket. Army pants and boots finished the look. So why did he feel less like an Alex and more like a wild beast?

Regardless of his inner turmoil, Alex had be brought here to relax and enjoy the festivities of the Spring Court. Alex vaguely remembered that he was a member of the Summer Court... although his formal induction was still pending. It was deemed 'polite' to wait a bit till after the Spring's Festival before getting to the formal agenda. That and the fact that no one from the Summer's Upper Court actually met him yet.

Gripping a drink tightly in his right hand, Alex forced himself to venture forward from his dark corner and into the central part of the room. Looking around Alex felt less and less like he belonged here... but what was his alternative? Somehow return to his former Keeper Gaia? Phantom pains racked his body at the thought. Gaia would kill him for escaping... or worse. Alex didn't want to think about it anymore and looked around for someone... anyone to help break his now runaway train of thought.

Alex had however been given a security bracelet by the summers who mentored him. he had found that in the old forge that served as the summer stronghold it opened some sleeping quarters as well as give him access to all public areas like the bathrooms, showers, mess hall, gym, and indoor firing range

Bruce Halford, who most mortal men and women might take to be a scruffy, though not unclean roadie, was a being of limestone skin, dusted with silver and blue, and dotted with small, crystalline patches, dimly aglow and framed like a railway map with hotly metallic veins. Hair like steel wires was tied back behind his head and lidded by a deep red cowboy hat. The zips all over his black jacket clinked and glimmered. Although the faint smell of morning dew followed him as a badge of his standing within the ranks of the Spring Court, he could easily be a ferocious juggernaut of Summer, a shadow of Autumn, or one of Winter’s precious Darklings.

He was a creature of both darkness and imagination, a true testament to the Lost who almost seemed to enjoy their new, supernatural status. Except for right now. Right now, he felt very, very silly, indeed.

“You can’t be serious, Rox,” he glowered at the star-speckled Telluric as she slapped the sticky label displaying his name on his T-shirt. He had an accent most certainly not native to Buffalo, or even to America. Anybody with a passing knowledge could probably peg it as belonging to London’s East End, or close to it. His voice itself was low, close to a growl. “I’ve been ‘ere ‘ow long and you want me to make nice with…with the new-bloods?

"You have been here just under a year, my darling" The starlit fairest murmured in her usual sultry tone. She wrapped her arms around his neck and brought him nose to nose "this means you have to attend, everyone goes through this in this town. You get out there, liven up the party and then we can go home together"

Roxie kissed Bruce once more and then went back to her DJ booth with a wink.

Bruce rolled his eyes once. “The things I do for love,†he grumbled, then thumbed the peak of his hat up on his forehead, and moved towards the point where the other freshers were presently congregating. He grabbed one of the chairs and sat on it backwards, resting his arms on the backrest. His eyes went from one to the next, starting with Alex, the lizard-man with the spiky-headed Mask. “Lemme guess, the next bit is, ‘and I’m an alcoholic’?†he smirked.

In some far corner of the crowd a thin pale figure stood around awkwardly as he looked back and forth completely and utterly out of his element. He was so used to staying unseen and unheard in that damned claustrophobic library. How should he act, what should he say does he approach people or just wait for someone to strike up a conversation with him? These questions circled through his mind along with complaints about that suit he chose to wear. Nerves aside and even if it was a silly formality for the autumn house to send him to it, he was glad they insisted.

Hearing the loud music and the noise of chatter, seeing people just interacting with one another free from fear filled the Andrew with a kind of joy he once took for granted. Deciding to take a plunge and actually talk to someone. Spotting another Changling that looked almost as nervous as he was, Andrew introduced himself after checking his name tag.

“Hi there umm Alex……….….How are you finding the party?â€

There was a brief pause as Andrew realized he had absolutely no idea what to talk about, thinking quickly he asked about the party hopeful to actually start a conversation. Never the less his Nerves were starting to get the better of Andrew though as he started looking out the corner of his eye for any potential escape routes should Alex take offense of Andrew’s simple presence or utterly mundane question.

Lurker
While everyone else was busy talking and socializing there was a lone oddly placed pile of junk and wire in the corner for some reason plugged into the wall, despite not a single device in the pile being on at the time. What was this random pile of stuff even doing at a party like this one? Wait, was it even a junk pile? Upon closer inspection It wasn't a junk pile, not those wires and devices were definitely humanoid in shape. In place of clothes there were random bits of metal and other devices covering up the human shaped mass of wire and cable, with a name tag like the others, though the name was spelled backwards, and upside down,with some of the worst handwriting known to man or changeling. not too surprising considering he had plugs in place of fingers, it as a little hard to write with those. To top it all off, the TV on top of the pile was actually it's head, with the screen being his face.

"Yeah I know what you mean." he said to no one in particular, if anything it looked like he was literally talking to the wall with one of his plug fingers plugged into the socket.

"Yeah and people say I'm funny looking, have any of these guys looked into a mirror lately?" he said still talking to apparently no one. "So how about that weather? What's that? You don't know because you haven't been outside the walls in a while? Well that's not my fault."

Either he was really nuts, or somehow found more stimulating conversation with that wall or whatever was in there more than most of the people that were there. Either way he seemed pretty content to stay in his spot.

“Lemme guess, the next bit is, ‘and I’m an alcoholic’?â€

“Hi there umm Alex……….….How are you finding the party?â€

Alex jerked back as if slapped and lost hold on his human mask. Red-slit eyes wildly shifted back and forth between the two speakers. "Talking... people are talking... to me?" Alex's mind struggled to grasp the concept thrust upon him. "Speak! Speak back! Talk! To them!" Alex mentally screamed at himself. His beast nature wanted to either hide or kill something.

Taking a deep breath, a much needed moment to compose himself, Alex turned to the first speaker. Though not enough to discount the second. The name tag called him Bruce. This one... Bruce was of the Spring Court. Alex could smell the faint scent of morning dew from him. Though to Alex's nose the scent wasn't that faint. Despite the missing tongue Alex could speak in his true form, it had been a punishment from one of his failed escape attempts. It had been a long time since he spoke human and it showed, despite his attempts to hide the weakness.

"Al-co-hol-ic? Me? No... no. Never tasted. Now it smells..." But somewhere in Alex's more human mind it was decided not to be so crude. Especially to the ones that would possibly help him in the future. "Like... ick. Stink is too strong. Bleh. You like it Bruce? This al-co-hol?"

Alex let his gaze go from Spring Bruce to the second speaker. This one's tag called him Andrew. Autumn Court Andrew. Alex knew this because the faint heat that he generated was fading slightly. Something that only happened in the presence of an Autumn one, Alex had been told by his mentor.

Sensing that Andrew was nervous, Alex offered an understanding nod. "Party is... loud." A clawed hand reached up to scratch the side of his face. "Loud but... good? Meet others..." A faint smile, though it might appear more of a snarl, crossed Alex's face. "Learn to live again?... And not alone anymore."

Alex raised the hand that wore the security bracelet. "Was told that I am one of Summer. Though not official yet. Do you like the Spring and Autumn Courts?" He asked both men trying to be polite and turn the conversation three-way. Perhaps it would ease Andrews nervousness... Alex hoped slightly.

Bruce cocked an eyebrow at Alex’s bizarre behaviour. “I like one or two drinks on the weekend, yeah,†he smirked, and then laughed. It was a harsh, dirty sound, like a guitar growl, but it was also audibly good-natured in its tone and level. “Bloody ‘ell, you two, you’re acting more nervous than a fourteen-year-old boy in the girls’ changin’ room. Try relaxin’ a bit. ‘Ey, what’s say we try and liven this party up a bit? Bring the other new-bloods outta he woodwork.â€