Books Catherynne Valente's Fairyland

I just finished reading The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making, and I have to say that I can't remember reading a book with a more original and distinctive voice. At first, it seems too much like the next children's or young adult's whimsical adventure. Then, the child-of-wartime angst just comes in and punches through the paper but good, and then some more really terrible and wondrous events come up, and it's all in soft focus but too real at the same time. It's a wonderfully imaginative pick-and-mix that turns into a thoroughly enjoyable collage of a story.

It's also really bizarre, though, so if you're not into Signficant Capitalizations, making much of Spoons and hats, and Valente's philosophizing (which I personally think actually worked and worked well), or for whatever other reason--I can sort of get how it's not going to have a particularly broad appeal.

Generally, though, I liked it and would be eager to read more from this series. Anyone else?

I just finished reading The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making, and I have to say that I can't remember reading a book with a more original and distinctive voice. At first, it seems too much like the next children's or young adult's whimsical adventure. Then, the child-of-wartime angst just comes in and punches through the paper but good, and then some more really terrible and wondrous events come up, and it's all in soft focus but too real at the same time. It's a wonderfully imaginative pick-and-mix that turns into a thoroughly enjoyable collage of a story.

It's also really bizarre, though, so if you're not into Signficant Capitalizations, making much of Spoons and hats, and Valente's philosophizing (which I personally think actually worked and worked well), or for whatever other reason--I can sort of get how it's not going to have a particularly broad appeal.

Generally, though, I liked it and would be eager to read more from this series. Anyone else?

Keep reading....these are fantastic books, its nice to see that someone else has made reference to them. There are three in the series that I am aware of and definitely worth having a read and promoting. I haven't come across anyone else that says they have read these books. Keep going and let me know what you think. A different world awaits.......