Comics Calvin & Hobbes

I remember reading C&H and being so impressed by the quality of the writing, of the characterization. How funny it was, how smart, how full of heart -- it was everything a grown up could love, wrapped in a ball of Calvin craziness and antics. There was not one time that Calvin & Hobbes disappointed me; the writer, Bill Watterson, remained amazing till the end. I admire the way he stood to his principles -- innovation, authenticity, and refusing to sell out. Not selling merchandise even if he could have been rich from it; knowing to quit before he ran out of pertinent things to say.

To me, C&H is and will stay the best comics.

There's a truly fantastic documentary on Netflix about Calvin & Hobbes and their reclusive creator Bill Watterson that I highly recommend to all fans of Calvin & Hobbes and cartoons in general, Dear Mr. Watterson:

Much of the film's runtime is devoted to fans, including other professional cartoonists, reflecting on what makes Calvin & Hobbes so excellent, meaningful, and lasting to them.

It also touches upon other related, bigger issues like the arbitrary distinction between low and high art (i.e. what is it about the combination of text and visual art that's somehow less worthy than either unto themselves for so very many?) and the commercialization issue (i.e. what point does merchandising cross a line and cheapen the original property?).

It's a shame that Watterson himself doesn't appear in the film, but otherwise is a perfect, fitting, loving tribute to the beloved, phenomenal strip.

I have a friend of mine from work who actually got an incredible Calvin and Hobbes tattoo a few months ago! It came out so amazing and it was really funny that he kept running around our supermarket that we work at showing everyone who worked there his new tattoo and even showing it off to all of the customers who were over in our departments!

There's a truly fantastic documentary on Netflix about Calvin & Hobbes and their reclusive creator Bill Watterson that I highly recommend to all fans of Calvin & Hobbes and cartoons in general, Dear Mr. Watterson:

Much of the film's runtime is devoted to fans, including other professional cartoonists, reflecting on what makes Calvin & Hobbes so excellent, meaningful, and lasting to them.

It also touches upon other related, bigger issues like the arbitrary distinction between low and high art (i.e. what is it about the combination of text and visual art that's somehow less worthy than either unto themselves for so very many?) and the commercialization issue (i.e. what point does merchandising cross a line and cheapen the original property?).

It's a shame that Watterson himself doesn't appear in the film, but otherwise is a perfect, fitting, loving tribute to the beloved, phenomenal strip.

Wow that really does look amazing! Unfortunately for me, not available on Netflix Germany. I'm not sure how the difference in countries work -- maybe eventually it'll come by? No idea.

Also, Calvin&Hobbes tattoo is awesome. Since there is no merchandise, that might be one of the only ways to carry a torch for them! :)