Breaking News: Sony's Making Their Own Super Smash Bros Equivalent!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUbxkerjJ9I"]Breaking News: Sony's Making Their Own Super Smash Bros Equivalent! - YouTube[/ame]

:O_O::O_O::O_O::O_O: Did not see this coming!

Because Sony has so many memorable characters!

Let's see! We've got Kratos and Sackboy and... uhhh...

Uhhh...

Ummmm...

Yeah.

Can't decide how to pose figures...
Is this guy really legit? I doubt this...

Oh by the way Neko: Jak, Daxter, Ratchet, Clank, Nathan Drake, Sly, Cole Macgrath, Helghast, Chimera, Leonard/White Knight, Tag, Sweet Tooth, Ico.

And there are plenty more characters that while are not owned by Sony are associated with them and could easily be put in if this game is real.

I was exaggerating a bit for the sake of humor (I actually really adore the Ratchet and Clank series) but that still doesn't negate the fact that Sony's exclusive IP doesn't have anywhere near the depth needed for a title of this nature to really shine.

Jak, Daxter

Two characters who can only really function as one. With the added burden of the more visibly notable one of them being a personality-less brick who somehow became even MORE bland when he started talking.

Ratchet, Clank

Again, two characters who can only really function as one. Though both of them are much stronger personalities than Jak and Daxter so they fair quite a bit better. In fact, they're so much stronger and better at the two-characters-in-one thing, they'd conceivably make Jak and Daxter utterly redundant and unnecessary.

Nathan Drake

Bland, smug dude in a t-shirt and jeans. Nothing to see here.

I'm not a big fan of the Sly Cooper games but I'll give him credit for being a memorable character with enough distinctive flair to support a move set so he'd be okay for a thing like this.

Cole Macgrath

Another bland, smug dude in a t-shirt and jeans. Though he benefits from what could be a flashy move set.

Who?

Are generic FPS mooks really going to qualify for "iconic character" status here?

Leonard/White Knight

You mean that one game almost nobody liked? :p

Again, I'm forced to ask. Who?

Sweet Tooth

I could see him working as some sort of parody of Captain Falcon at least.

Ico has the problem that there's no real way to get a full set of moves or abilities out of him while remaining faithful to what makes him distinctive and memorable as a character in the game he's originally from. They might find SOMETHING to do with him but it'd be hard (more than likely, you'd just get a stage based on the castle).

Also, the fighting was the worst part of Ico, so bringing that to the forefront just seems a giant exercise in Problem(tm).

So... lets see. Adding in Kratos and Sackboy that gives us:

5 Yes (Kratos, Sackboy, Ratchet/Clank, Sly, Sweet Tooth), 3 Maybe (Jak/Daxter, Cole, Ico), and 5 No (Everyone else).

That's... a pretty sickly line-up. Especially one that's promising to be "Like Smash Bros".

When The Fruit Of Life Corrupts Men
Super Smash Sony

http://gamerant.com/sony-super-smash-bros-clone-announcement-curt-113571/

Today, Sony has revealed (in not so many words) that it will be working on a Super Smash Brothers clone featuring a cornucopia of current console stars as well as past ones such as Nathan Drake, Sly Cooper, Kratos, Fat Princess, Parappa, Sweet Tooth, and Rico from Killzone.

I'm definately curious to see how Sony handles this