Saban Brands and Bandai of America have released a joint statement today:

"After a successful 25-year partnership building the iconic action franchise, Power Rangers, Saban Brands and Bandai have mutually agreed not to renew their global Power Rangers master toy license agreement, effective April 2019. Bandai will continue to support Power Rangers, including the 2018 commemoration of the Power Rangers 25th anniversary and the current season, Super Ninja Steel. In addition, Bandai, through its partnership with Toei Company Ltd., will continue to exploit toy rights for the Super Sentai series, which has enjoyed over 40 years of success, in Japan and select other Asian territories."

Saban Brands declined to name who will be taking over the toyline from 2019, but the current buzz suggests the license is going to Hasbro, who already control the other two big "boys toys" brands, Star Wars and Transformers.

As stated above, this does not appear to alter the relationship that Bandai of Japan has with Toei for the Super Sentai toyline, which continues as normal.

More if/when it comes to light.

Last edited:
D

Dr Kain

Wait a minute, what?

Does this mean the Legacy Shogun Megazord is not going to happen? If so, that fucking sucks because now I can never own a proper Muteki Shogun.

R

raden238

It's confirmed via Hollywood reporter, that Hasbro (the big toy company who owns the rights to Transformers and Star Wars) will be producing Power Rangers toys effective Spring 2019! It's an end of an era for Power Rangers' Bandai of America run, but also a new beginning with Hasbro. It's bittersweet to see the Legacy line end, but I'm happy own several of those great pieces including the Megazord, Dragonzord, Tigerzord and Ninja Megazord.

Wait a minute, what?

Does this mean the Legacy Shogun Megazord is not going to happen? If so, that fucking sucks because now I can never own a proper Muteki Shogun.

Have no fear, Premium Bandai of Japan is still going strong! We could get a Super Sentai Artisan Muteki Shogun in the future, its unlikely but they already made a Doran Changer, so you never know.

Hasbro have confirmed today that they will be making PR toys from next year, and if you look around I'm sure you'll find lots of fluffy quotes from Hasbro's CEO and Haim Saban talking about how lovely it all is and how Hasbro are going to do a lot more high end stuff for the adult fans.

However, the devil is in the detail, and in this case there's BIG NEWS hidden there too.

The following bit of text has been floating around social media. It's claimed that it's a line from the press release, deep down far away from the headlines that everyone will read. If these lines are genuine (and I've not yet seen anything to confirm that they are) we could be a few years from massive changes for the franchise:

DWK4g5KV4AEWYNt.jpg
In other words, Hasbro will start out making the toys. At some point in the future, if they determine that it's going well and making enough money for them, they have the option to buy the franchise.

So it may not just be BoA. Saban Brands could be headed for the door too.

D

Dr Kain

I hope Hasbro continues the Legacy zords and gives us Shogun MZ, Tor, and Serpenterra.

Hasbro? Making toys for Power Rangers instead of BoA?! BLASPHEMY!!!

Although I do wonder what all this could mean for Takara... It's still weird to me knowing that BoJ was making Ryuki Figuarts while Figma was making Dragon Knight figures. I honestly have no idea how Japanese companies feel about this kind of competition within their own country.

D

Dr Kain

Seeing as how Japan still thinks this is the 1950s when it comes to running a business, what they feel is utterly irrelevant.