Shyni
A settled sixteen year-old lawsuit (...) All that is known is a huge American A-list star will be approached to play a human who has the ability to transform into galactic spaceman Ultraman. So, who is this mysterious actor?Appearing at Nuke the Fridge Con 2013 over the weekend, legendary filmmaker Sompote Saengduenchai signed autographs for a multitude of fans

Wait, the lawsuit is settled? And the Chaiyo people won? How the hell are they even gonna afford Will Smith?

Has anyone been keeping up with the lawusit-related news? I hope one of the SciFiJapan guys can confirm if any of this is true...

Professional Chef and Entertainer
i'm all for it, but will smith as ultraman? just please don't.

Calling BS on this. Maybe Pacific Rim help this movie get made, but who the hell knows.

Doubt it because:
-They have no rights to the design of Ultraman, only the first six shows as confirmed in one ruling. The only way they could do one is if they made a UMINO, and that is unmarketable. They tried to make their own productions and they all were stopped.

-No merchandising rights.

-Sompote is hardly legendary, and I doubt his company has the funds to even do one.

-Ultraman is niche as it gets. Godzilla had to be funded 75% by Legendary Pictures, and I doubt any company in their right mind will take the majority if Chiayo were to do it as-is. They would have to license it to a production company to even hope to make a film.

-And since they have no rights to the Ultraman design, what company in their right mind would buy the rights from a company that will not give them the great kahuna?

More likely is Tsuburaya is making a film based on one of their later entries or even an original Utlraman for American audiences that is lightly connected to the original. They not only got the rights to the aesthetic, they can legally give their rights to a production company with the Ultraman aesthetic.

If this is even remotely true, then it will die like Star Godzilla.

I don't see Tsuburaya letting this actually happen.

Yeah. And like my reasons, the only way it could happen is if they bought out Tsuburaya or won all the rights to the series, which neither happened.