Ben Affleck Taking Time With Batman Script

Todd Black submitted a new blog post

Ben Affleck Taking Time With Batman Script

batman-v-superman-more-videos-hi-1200x675.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

If that means it turns out less of a haphazard hot mess than BvS or Suicide Squad, I'm all for it. I'm not a big Affleck fan and was dubious of him playing Batman, but he turned out to be the least of that movie's problems.

I don't have a lot of faith in anything continuing the DCEU after Snyder started it out on such a shaky foundation though. It comes across like playing a rushed and slapdash game of catch-up with Marvel without laying the groundwork and establishing each character like the MCU took the time to do. And I'm not just a Marvel fanboy, I love both The Dark Knight and The Winter Soldier. But BvS was just a mess.

I completely agree. I'm a huge fan of the DCAU, and was really keen to see the DC characters in their own movie universe, but so far it has been a let down. If him taking time means a better result then good! He was the best thing in BvS and after Argo I don't think there's any doubt that he can write.

Frankly, I'd rather have a great film in a few years than another rushed mess like BvS. The huge multi-character event should be several films down the line, not what you kick it off with.

Exactly. BvS tried to do in one movie what Marvel took the time to set up in several, and it felt like DC playing a rushed and haphazard game of catch-up and being a little desperate and Johnny-come-lately to kickstart their own cinematic universe (which is becoming one of those overused terms, by the way).

Christian Bale is my favorite live-action Batman, but while I was skeptical of Batfleck, he turned out to be fine and not one of BvS' many problems. I think he'd be fine in a better movie. If he is determining to put the effort into making his solo movie the best it can be, it might turn out well. I think he's a better writer/director than actor, overall.