Been watching some old Transformers episodes on Youtube...

And I noticed something. A lot of the season 3 episodes dealt with more than just crazy schemes from the Decepticons and the Autobots having to fend them off. There were more pyschological and downright creepy episodes. For example the episode Webworld where Galvatron was committed because he was insane, or Starscream's Ghost that had that orange Auto who was friends with Octane, a renegade Decepticon. I guess this is were the writers of Beast Wars got the amnesty after the war concept for Ravage from. It made them seem more human. Think about it, since the first episode we have been told that Autobots are good, Decepticons are downright evil, and you can't trust evil. But here you have Octane, a Decepticon, that seems to just be fed up with the fighting, left the Decepts, got a job hauling junk, and hangs out with his Autobot buddy. Octane also seemed to have a crush on Arcee which might explain his jumping ranks. :)

I like seeing daily life in the galaxy with the Junk planet hauling junk, the beings of the universe hanging out at a cruddy bar, and the like. It made the Transformers seem more human and not just war machines. Desention in the Decepticon ranks, seeing the once mighty Decepts clinging to existence after having lost control of Cybertron, all make for good viewing. From me at least.

And of course, Dark Awakening (which I had never seen before) that had the return of Optimus Prime as a zombie under Quintesson control. Seeing Optimus with a missing arm and an exposed eye socket in that final scene with him in the shuttle would be frightening if I were a kid. Before that, having a decaying grayed hunk of metal that was Brawn fall out of one of the tombs and nearly crush Daniel was creepy as well. Plus, I didn't know they had killed off the Aerialbots, Powerglide, and Skyfire in that episode. At least Transformers wasn't afraid to kill off characters that people liked (sans Prime, that is).

I say all this because I don't think the 3rd season gets enough credit when reading about people's reactions to it. I think people were still too angry about the whole Rodimus thing to really analyze it.

Check it out here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTv1vhWsPM&mode=related&search=

There are other episodes up, like the Five Faces of Darkness.

Well, this is what happens. When people get old and look back at the shows they used to love to watch, they realize how weird/crappy it was. Like how I watched MMPR and realized how cheesy alot of the lines were. But I didn't notice that when I was younger.

Last edited:
Just Scratch Behind the Ears
I hate all the newer anime-style TF. It's like some kindergardener puked and they just smeared it all over scripts and called it good enough.

Just give me [Mainframe] Beast Wars and I'm insanely happy. Rattrap and Dinobutt "FTW".

Lurker
Well, this is what happens. When people get old and look back the used to love to watch, they realize how weird/crappy it was. Like how I watched MMPR and realized how cheesy alot of the lines were. But I didn't notice that when I was younger.

It's the current fad to bash older cartoons, a lot of that is dissapating now that some people are looking past the bad animation, so I don't really take comments like that seriously at all, when the positives shine more after a few re-airings, then the show gets appreciated again all the more.

Indeed, Supernova is thankfully not jumping on that stupid bandwagon and has found what I did watching the third season of G1, an underrated and very dark season

boogie woogie feng shui
I don't know, I'd say pretending oldschool cartoons were so groovy is more of a fad. I personally don't get how anybody could even pretend that shows like He-Man and Thundercats are cool unless you're like 7.

I liked season 3 because it had two big GI Joe crossovers:

1. Marissa Fairborn being Flint's daughter

2. Old Snake is really CO-*cough* *Cough*

Lurker
I liked season 3 because it had two big GI Joe crossovers:

1. Marissa Fairborn being Flint's daughter

2. Old Snake is really CO-*cough* *Cough*

Great scene, thank god the episode had a great budget for the animation.

Then there's "Call Of The Primitives", which reveals Unicron's animated series origins...suffice to say whilst the prospect of Grimlock saving all TF life as we know it is always amusing, I much prefer Furman's comic origin for Unicron

By the Power of Gaia!!!
I don't know, I'd say pretending oldschool cartoons were so groovy is more of a fad. I personally don't get how anybody could even pretend that shows like He-Man and Thundercats are cool unless you're like 7.
It's called nostalgia. And God, is it wonderful.

I think you can sort of explain it as Primacron just constructed unicrons body, but oh well, YES I much prefered the galaxy spanning, planet hopping episodes of season three. It's just a pity that Frank Welkers Galvatron was horrid and really killed the series for me.