Atlas: Jennifer Lopez Is Piloting A Mech Now

Staff member
https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2024%2F03%2Fnetflix-jennifer-lopez-atlas-teaser-trailer-simu-liu-sterling-k-brown-sci-fi-000.jpg

Netflix's next big, expensive movie was revealed to the public today. It's called Atlas and it's due out this May. The movie made its presence known with a 90-second teaser full of special effects and explosions, depicting a scene where a mechanoid robot plummets toward an alien planet while its female pilot makes multiple, futile tries to slow its descent.

Atlas is the name of the woman, not the robot. Atlas Shepherd is her full name, and she's described as "a brilliant but misanthropic data analyst with a deep distrust of artificial intelligence." Sucks to be her, then, living in a world where AI is unavoidable. I can't imagine what that'd be like....oh wait, darn.

If she doesn't like robots, why is she in one? That's a question that will have to wait for an answer. The plot synopsis suggests she bears a personal grudge against one robot in particular, which she "shares a mysterious past" with. Ultimately, it's up to her and her alone to save humanity, and she will have to trust one robot to stop another.

Jennifer Lopez plays Atlas, with Simu Liu co-starring as an unnamed bad guy. The supporting cast includes Sterling K. Brown, Gregory James Cohan, Abraham Popoola, Lana Parrilla and Mark Strong. We're into the idea of J. Lo piloting a mech, even if her character isn't as into it. Let's hope Atlas doesn't crash on arrival. The movie debuts on Netflix this Memorial Day, May 24.

Wow, Jennifer Lopez never ceases to amaze me! At her age, she's still sizzling hot, and honestly, I think she's even hotter than some actresses in their 20s. Her dedication to fitness is truly admirable. It's evident she puts in the work to maintain that level of stunning physique. Seeing her take on a role like this in "Atlas" just adds to her versatile talent. Can't wait to see her rock the screen once again! She is on her 50s , she is now the same age as the Golden girls cast on its first season.

Atlas elicits mixed feelings in me. While the premise seems exciting, I'm concerned about the representation of AI and the emphasis on action scenes to propel the plot. Jennifer Lopez's casting is unexpected, but I'm willing to take a chance. However, I hope the film goes further into the complexity of technology and its impact on society, rather than relying solely on explosions and fancy effects. Nonetheless, I'll wait judgment until I've seen the entire film on Netflix.

The ensemble is stacked! I'm excited about this movie because Brad Peyton is a great director and stars Jennifer Lopez, Simu Liu, Mark Strong, and Sterling K. Brown as outstanding actors. I'll watch it the day it opens. I have been a Netflix member for many years because of precisely this. Indeed, there are arid months, but they make up for it.

Wolfing around
Atlas seems like it's going to be an epic sci-fi flick! I'm excited to see Jennifer Lopez take on a role that's a departure from her usual projects. The teaser trailer definitely left me wanting more, especially with its intense action sequences and intriguing plot setup. I'm curious to learn more about Atlas Shepherd's past and her relationship with AI. Plus, the supporting cast looks fantastic.

Pain is temporary, Success is Forever
I miss the romcom era J.Lo....

The trailer sparked a sense of anticipation within me, nudging me to eagerly await its release. It seems we're delving deeper into the era of adapting video games into movies and series, which carries both excitement and apprehension. Let's hold onto the hope that this adaptation is handled with care and respect for the source material. It's a gamble, really; this could either soar to unimaginable heights of brilliance or plummet into the depths of disappointment. There's a palpable sense of uncertainty, but also a glimmer of optimism. Here's to hoping for the former, but preparing ourselves for the latter, just in case.

Stand up from the fall
I know some people here say its weird to see J.lo in a scifi when her early career movies are Anaconda and The Cell. Both sci-fi horrors and thrillers